Pegasus PS737 Cut Open. Unknown Mileage / Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
This came off of a '11 Nissan Rogue.

Not sure on what oil they used but I assumed bulk 5W-30 as what the manual specifies. I put in QSGB 5W-30 and a NG 1358.

This filter kinda sucks. BITOG Member Run, has told me that he can get these for $4. I'd rather pick up a Napa Proselect or Hastings for $3-4 though.

ADBV was stiff as a rock, there was zero oil left when I cut it open. Assuming that it failed.

D6OXYs0.jpg

lm71FnH.jpg

7OjmPYj.jpg

dIv56Gw.jpg

tOwkKJL.jpg

sl3Vexj.jpg

uO0cuvn.jpg

The unknown mileage seems to be some concern, as there is a bit is sludge in the filter pleats & on the end caps, or is that a brown adhesive? Also, that the ADBV is hard causes me to think that the filter was used for several OCIs, as the residual oil on the filter is still maple syrup brown and not black like coal!

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
The unknown mileage seems to be some concern, as there is a bit is sludge in the filter pleats & on the end caps, or is that a brown adhesive? Also, that the ADBV is hard causes me to think that the filter was used for several OCIs, as the residual oil on the filter is still maple syrup brown and not black like coal!

It's glue, not sludge. The oil colour wasn't so bad. The most accurate picture would be the picture looking into the centre tube. I'm not sure if it was used for several times but this is the first time I've done anything to it.

Wondering if this is one those "Quality Chinese Filters" I saw noted recently as a new preference choice for one recently in another thread?
smirk.gif
Looks like that coo type construction.

Excess glue/potting aside, I've seen much worse. And with unknown oci, difficult to get too picky about adbv findings. Nitrile has a limited functional time frame. Wonder if the owner noticed any start up rattle. If not that would be no biggie either.

Thanks for pics.

Its too bad. It could have been a decent filter if they used a little less glue and a better ADBV. This filter may be lurking at small mom n pop shops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back