Opinions on Castrol Edge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Back on topic. IMO, Edge is one of the most horribly mismanaged new oil products in a long time. As the bulk of street engines are moving to 20 wt oils as the primary choice for normal lubrication, Castrol introduces a new, premium product -- that is not available in any 20 wt variant. Brilliant market strategy. . .
True

Bear with me because it has been about two years since I was on this sight until recently. I thought I recalled M1 not doing so well in Subies??? I could be wrong but I thought it was not the best match. Do not get me wrong M1 is the brand I used the most and the one I recomend the most but it is not always the best match for every application. I would recomend a search through the old UOA sections to look at what Subies liked and did not like. M1 is not going to hurt your engine in the least and I am sure if you ran nothing but M1 you would get 300,000 miles out of your engine. The thing is on BITOG we are always a git retentive about our wear numbers and are always looking for the lowest numbers we can get. With winter coming in the not so distant future I can see why you went with 5W30. Come warmer months though I think you should consider trying a 5W40....If you insist on 5W30 I would have to recommend Amsoils HD 5W30 or Redline 5W30 as they are a bit thicker and more resistant to shearing then M1 and they also have beefier additive packages to better handle what the Turbo Subies dish out!

As too the turbo and oil burning it was probably just an turbo oil seal and prob. did not need a complete replacement.Oh and stay far far away from most 0W40's as I am sure they would not perform that well in a turbo Subie.

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
Bear with me because it has been about two years since I was on this sight until recently. I thought I recalled M1 not doing so well in Subies??? I could be wrong but I thought it was not the best match. Do not get me wrong M1 is the brand I used the most and the one I recomend the most but it is not always the best match for every application. I would recomend a search through the old UOA sections to look at what Subies liked and did not like. M1 is not going to hurt your engine in the least and I am sure if you ran nothing but M1 you would get 300,000 miles out of your engine. The thing is on BITOG we are always a git retentive about our wear numbers and are always looking for the lowest numbers we can get. With winter coming in the not so distant future I can see why you went with 5W30. Come warmer months though I think you should consider trying a 5W40....If you insist on 5W30 I would have to recommend Amsoils HD 5W30 or Redline 5W30 as they are a bit thicker and more resistant to shearing then M1 and they also have beefier additive packages to better handle what the Turbo Subies dish out!

As too the turbo and oil burning it was probably just an turbo oil seal and prob. did not need a complete replacement.Oh and stay far far away from most 0W40's as I am sure they would not perform that well in a turbo Subie.

Yet Porsche recommends and uses a 0w40 in their turbo vehicles........

John, have you read Doug Hillary's UOA article yet? It is linked to from the front page. It is a good read. I haven't seen you on here in quite a while!

I'm sorry,this is just way too funny. Castrol gets slammed for not making a "true" synthetic and then when they do many pee and moan because it's so expensive. Please provide validation to any claims that it's not a PAO product. All PAO oils have some mineral oil in them as a carrier for the additives. $8qt is supposed to be overpriced? Check your prices again. That's where most of the accepted PAO oils are starting at with some going past the $12qt mark.

Originally Posted By: Thingfish
It's not $26 here.

I will not get into Edge vs. Amsoils best x/30.

I just grabbed another 5qts at Autozone with a Bosch filter for $29.99.Maybe Autozone out your way has the same deal.

Originally Posted By: Mokanic
I'm sorry,this is just way too funny. Castrol gets slammed for not making a "true" synthetic and then when they do many pee and moan because it's so expensive.

Well, Castrol's PAO product seems to be more expensive than their direct competitor - Mobil1, which is also PAO.

IIRC, its not imported, it is made in US and priced ridiculously expensive. Unless you find it on clearance. It was priced higher than M1 for awhile there.

Edge when it came out was $34 for 5 quarts, and Mobil 1 extended performance was $28.50

The US Edge seems like decent oil, but I don't know that it's all it's cracked up to be, and at the current price ($26.50) not a bargain.

Originally Posted By: sprintman
Is it imported to U.S raising cost?

No, the Edge in the US is made in the US, and it is not the same oil as Edge every where else in the world.

Right, it appears that US Edge is a Grp III with some PAO added to it per their web site. Based on the specs for the European version of Edge, it looks like they're a full grp IV. And the European market gets more grades than we do as well.

Originally Posted By: TAP
Right, it appears that US Edge is a Grp III with some PAO added to it per their web site. Based on the specs for the European version of Edge, it looks like they're a full grp IV. And the European market gets more grades than we do as well.

Any validation for that claim?

It might be a bit early to draw a firm conclusion if edge is worth the price.....for me, it would depend on well it works when compared to other oils. At the current price, 4 qts are cheaper then dinner out for two in the city I live in or to fill my gas tank....($3.29 gallon)

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
N4cer said:
The K&N uses "resin impregnated cellulose" filter element (see their website). The passages through a cellulose-only filter are much larger than those of a glass-fibre "synthetic" filter. This confers a flow advantage, at the cost of ultimate fine filtration. The combined glass-cellulose elements can filter much smaller particles, but at the cost of ultimate max flow.

cheers3.gif

I think K&N re-designed their oil filters and use the same synthetic media as M1 filters do. Take a look at the revised Mopar filter study.
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/reference.html#champion

The only difference between a K&N and an M1 is the regular price is $2 more and the nut on the end. Still quite a deal with the AZ GC Oil Change special for $25-$27 with 5 qts of GC.

I ran Edge for 10,000 miles in my Totota Camry with a 2.4 engine. It was 80% Hwy miles. TBN came in at 1.5. I was not overly impressed one way or the other.

I think for the money there are better choices.

As far as the Group III, PAO discussion it is hard for anyone to know exactly what any of these oils have in them unless they claim they are 100% PAO or Ester oil etc. They will use whatever mix will make the oil perform to their standards. Since Group III is cheaper they will use as much of that as possible.

Since Castrol Edge site says it contains different oils "including" PAO in it that would lead me and many others to believe it's main base oil is Group III. That also means it might have a little Ester in it too. If it was mostly PAO it would say it is a PAO based oil with other synthetic fluids...blah..blah..blah. All these companies claim their formulas are "proprietary".

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning

M1 0-40 and Amsoils AFF 0-40 work excellent in turbo Subarus. I have several customers that run nothing but 0-40's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back