Opinions on Castrol Edge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably is good. Just that none of the testing I've seen has shown it to be worth replacing a tried and true top dog. Anything less than definitive isn't worth the risk to me. But I see where you guys are coming from.

Originally Posted By: N4cer
Yeah ricer filter. It's Wix/Napa Gold or the top line Purolator only on my vehicles.

Ricer filter? If you were running an old Cleveland with insane oil pressure, you wouldn't be calling it a ricer filter.

Many ricers might BUY it, but it has a VERY heavy can; the heaviest I've ever seen on it, giving it an incredible burst strength.

They are also built EXTREMELY well (I've had several apart).

There are no advantages that I know of that a WIX filter has over one of the higher-end Champion Labs filters, which include the K&N, Mobil 1 and Royal Purple filters. All which are VERY well built, have silicone ADBV's and fantastic media.

Probably is good. Just that none of the testing I've seen has shown it to be worth replacing a tried and true top dog. Anything less than definitive isn't worth the risk to me. But I see where you guys are coming from.

Top-dog?

Depends on which circles you run in I guess.

I run Fleetguard and Donaldson filters, both of which are considered the "top dogs" of the OTR truck world. Their top-of-the-line filters; the Stratapore and SYNTEQ filters are in a completely different league than WIX.

YIKES! I started a filter war.

lol Got some GC & the K&N filter. I will echo a comment that it feels noticeably heavier than others.

They didn't have HP-1008 but I intended on using the longer filter anyway so I got HP-1010.

Fun fact:

Bosch oil filters & Purolater PureOne look EXACTLY the same on the inside. The only difference may be the media. So if you have to buy Bosch don't worry it really is the same as the PureOne.

Now my attempt at doing the plugs though...lol that didn't work out so well. Tight, tight, fit even for my girly hands.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
I'd worry about my cats with Rotella.

Why? It's API SM rated. If an API SM rated oil kills cats, then we have a big problem on our hands...
Not as well as a big 'ol rod & a hammer!!! He's referring to the catalytic converter, I have 2 kitty cats myself!
crackmeup2.gif

The Subaru community seems to loves Motul (I do!). I had been running 8100 eco-nergy 5w30 within the first 10k (M1 before that). And just recently switched to 8100 x-cess 5w40 since the STi got upgraded to joy ride/auto-x status (x-cess is rated as a 'high' HTHS vs the eco)78K miles on the STi atm, runs strong and consistent.

I've been trying to decide what to run in my 09 Dodge Ram since 5w20 is required for MDS and motul doesn't make one (ignoring 300v). I've been increasingly turned off by marketing hype from most of the off shelf brands, something that Valvoline pokes fun at as well, but they don't do much better either.

Castrol's edge site provides me NO real information, just a bunch of useless flash animations and more hype. I know GTX shows good UOA data from the guys/gals on this site, so edge would theoretically be better. I however would like to be sold on real info, rather than some guy telling me to think with my dipstick.

I think I've decided on running redline 5w20 in my truck, its a real ester base and has a good additive package (with moly!).

Going to run to 5k on this. sample, then decide from there. Right now GC seems to have smoothed it out again and the butt dyno approves.

I may try Amsoil again or I may give Redline a whirl.

The Amsoil ATM I had in before this thinned out real fast, towards the end it got more harsh in the high rpms. It was also black & watery on the drain. I didn't sample(mostly because I forgot) although I could pull some oil from drain pan. Would it be worth it?

Last edited:
Maybe I am a little late with this observation but here it goes anyway. It has not been that long ago(for those of you that have been here a while)that Castrol had it's sack handed to them for not making a "true" synthetic. I do not include the GC in the equasion because it is hit& miss as far as avalibility. Now we have the Edge product that is by all accounts a "real" synthetic and many are complaining about the price. Did you expect them to give it away? Yes, it's in the range of boutique oils but perhaps it cost just as much to produce.
I suppose what I am saying is that if you want group 4 performance at hydrocracked prices Edge,Amsoil,Royal Purple,Redline, are all off the list. Perhaps that's why I like Schaeffer oils. They offer a very good VALUE. PP is a good value too. As a matter of fact, I think for the majority of folks that are not running equipment or fleets there is no advantage at all in PAO based lubricants. I have seen way too many superb wear results from the group3 and even the group2+ oils and they can take the heat by the way if they are formulated correctly.
Castrol Edge(I think)is a marketing experiment done by Castrol just to see if many of the nuts that sent them dirty e-mails about their Syntec formulations would be willing to pay for what the Syntec was not: A full PAO with a splash of esters. I'm thinking it ain't gonna move in sufficient quantities to warrant long-term production. Or maybe my meds are just out of whack and I just need to hear my AR run in full-auto for a while...

Originally Posted By: Mokanic
Maybe I am a little late with this observation but here it goes anyway. It has not been that long ago(for those of you that have been here a while)that Castrol had it's sack handed to them for not making a "true" synthetic. I do not include the GC in the equasion because it is hit& miss as far as avalibility. Now we have the Edge product that is by all accounts a "real" synthetic and many are complaining about the price. Did you expect them to give it away? Yes, it's in the range of boutique oils but perhaps it cost just as much to produce.
I suppose what I am saying is that if you want group 4 performance at hydrocracked prices Edge,Amsoil,Royal Purple,Redline, are all off the list. Perhaps that's why I like Schaeffer oils. They offer a very good VALUE. PP is a good value too. As a matter of fact, I think for the majority of folks that are not running equipment or fleets there is no advantage at all in PAO based lubricants. I have seen way too many superb wear results from the group3 and even the group2+ oils and they can take the heat by the way if they are formulated correctly.
Castrol Edge(I think)is a marketing experiment done by Castrol just to see if many of the nuts that sent them dirty e-mails about their Syntec formulations would be willing to pay for what the Syntec was not: A full PAO with a splash of esters. I'm thinking it ain't gonna move in sufficient quantities to warrant long-term production. Or maybe my meds are just out of whack and I just need to hear my AR run in full-auto for a while...

I don't think Edge is 100% PAO. From all accounts, it is a GRP 3 with some PAO added to it. Even on the CastrolEdge site, it states that PAO has been added to the formula, but it doesn't say how much.

Originally Posted By: Thingfish
For a bit more, I can have Amsoil 5/30 HDD.

Edge is a JOKE compared to HDD.

In what way is it a joke?
At $26 for a 5qt jug at of 5w-30 at wallys it doesn't seem like a bad buy.

You sure? All tests I've seen show Wix as superior. Where's the ones that say otherwise?

It's so frustrating to see comments like this. Wix and K&N filters are made for very different purposes and markets. The K&N is a racing/performance filter that's meant to ensure massively adequate oil flow, even at the cost of fine filtration. The Wix is a very good filter, but meant to protect street engines under normal street conditions. The K&N uses "resin impregnated cellulose" filter element (see their website). The passages through a cellulose-only filter are much larger than those of a glass-fibre "synthetic" filter. This confers a flow advantage, at the cost of ultimate fine filtration. The combined glass-cellulose elements can filter much smaller particles, but at the cost of ultimate max flow.

These are different products for different purposes. As with apples and oranges, comparing them one-to-one really does not make sense. Pick the one that provides the advantage you need in your usage.
cheers3.gif

Back on topic. IMO, Edge is one of the most horribly mismanaged new oil products in a long time. As the bulk of street engines are moving to 20 wt oils as the primary choice for normal lubrication, Castrol introduces a new, premium product -- that is not available in any 20 wt variant. Brilliant market strategy. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back