Opinions on 2014 Chevy Traverse

This would be a 2nd vehicle. Vehicle has 76,000 miles, it's an 2LT trim with all wheel drive. The car fax shows regular maintenance has been done. I know the 3.6 timing chains have been an issue, but by 2014 the issue has been resolved..Hopefully. It's a one owner vehicle that has spent it's life in Eastern Wa state, rust is a non issue. Any thoughts or first hand knowledge on this vehicle would be helpful.

Rack and pinion failures, power steering pump failures, alternator failures, pain in the rear battery location, wheel bearing failures, rear suspension bushings. All common issues on those things.

Rack and pinion failures, power steering pump failures, alternator failures, pain in the rear battery location, wheel bearing failures, rear suspension bushings. All common issues on those things.
As the owner of an ‘11 Buick, I can concur with #1, #2, #3. #4 I can live with.

Not to make myself look bad, but this is a vehicle to avoid.

If I hadn’t DIY so many things we’d be out a fortune.

Add engine mounts, water pump, ABS, AC vents, AC condenser, BMW pricing for parts and repairs, poor dealer network, fuel economy.

Did I mention poor dealers and high price of parts (yet I want a Tahoe go figure).

It does have 115 cu ft of cargo which almost no crossover has.

The f’ing rack was already replaced at 27k and it’s failed again 90k later.

Again anyone who goes ahead and buys it anyway has no one to cry to when they get a $2700 estimate to fix their car. End rant 😂

It's a nine year old vehicle. You can pretty much throw any problem patterns out the door and base your decision on individual condition and upkeep the vehicle has received. Have a qualified technician look the Traverse over for you if you are uncertain.
I disagree and don’t say nobody told you so if one buys a vehicle with repeatable known issues. The problems are well documented and affected all owners. Just jump on any of the 3 forums for this platform.

GM doesn’t issue “special warranties” for no reason which have for the most part expired.

I disagree and don’t say nobody told you so if one buys a vehicle with repeatable known issues. The problems are well documented and affected all owners. Just jump on any of the 3 forums for this platform.

GM doesn’t issue “special warranties” for no reason which have for the most part expired.
Agreed. I had an 2011 Acadia, bought it at 13k miles, sold it last year with 207k miles. Great family hauler, tons of room. You'll be on a first name basis with the local Chevy service writer.

Its a low mileage unit, but have seen and read enough horror stories to hard pass any of those vehicles.

I’ve always viewed old used Chevys as a good car for someone budget minded that is mechanic inclined. They lack the resale of more reliable Toyotas and Hondas. I wouldn’t buy that Chevy and go somewhere with the family far from home. Having the water pump….. fail 250 miles from home with the family on board would suck.

Agreed. I had an 2011 Acadia, bought it at 13k miles, sold it last year with 207k miles. Great family hauler, tons of room. You'll be on a first name basis with the local Chevy service writer.
What I thought early on, was we should have gotten a Tahoe, a “real” truck not a x-over.

I’m not even going to mention what the general public thinks about the GM 3.6.

Steering rack and AC failed under 30k.

Front strut failed at 57k and dealer did 1 only and 1 wheel alignment under warranty. Left failed shortly thereafter and right failed again 40k down the road. Why I went Bilstein B6.

What is surprising while owning a Lexus and BMW is that a GM could exceed repair costs of the latter. I was naive thinking domestic means cheap parts and repairs.

I’m not taking Tahoe off the table but the thought of the dealer network disgusts me (caught red handed not using Mobil 1 and charging for it—there’s a reason the dealer hasn’t touched the oil since 2012 on our 2011).

One mentality that’s so hard to break, is the notion the car has x miles to give the owner, so low miles means worth more. I have a colleague whose 2014 S550 was dead at 80 miles.

That’s it I can be Denzel in Philadelphia when he tells the injured guy who ignored the street signs, he has a case!

I’m not making this up. Our dealer is Buick/GMC. An elderly man was in the waiting area, advisor comes up and says we’re getting closer to determining your issue.

He goes, “By the time you fix my car properly, I’ll be dead.”

The advisor paused, then walked away. Tragic customer service.

Under warranty, they took 1.5 years to fix a rear captains chair. Forgot about those—problematic.

That’s why I was curious a couple weeks ago when a forum member was at Caddy. He said poor service as well.

My 2010 Traverse was a boatload of problems. Air conditioning leaks, electrical problems galore, odometer display failed, and finally the timing chains did their thing. At least by 2014 I gather the timing chain issues were fixed on the 3.6, but if my wife's late 2013 Equinox was any indicator of GM quality, I would say RUN away quickly.

My 2010 Traverse was a boatload of problems. Air conditioning leaks, electrical problems galore, odometer display failed, and finally the timing chains did their thing. At least by 2014 I gather the timing chain issues were fixed on the 3.6, but if my wife's late 2013 Equinox was any indicator of GM quality, I would say RUN away quickly.
You know what was funny. Were you on any of the forums? If so, you would not be allowed to be so open about these problems, people driving GM for 50 years would all come forward and call us whiners 😂

I thought that vintage of the GM platform had transmission problems as well. Weak tail shaft led to early failures. Perhaps I remember wrong, but I would steer clear of this platform.

I thought that vintage of the GM platform had transmission problems as well. Weak tail shaft led to early failures. Perhaps I remember wrong, but I would steer clear of this platform.
If I’m not mistake Acadia only. The halogen drls (3157 bulbs) overheated as they did on the others (Saturn, Chevy, Buick), only with the GMC they melted the HID xenon headlamp housing and the owners were out $1200 each side.

How could we all forget? P0420 common leading to the rear bank CA emissions CAT and 02 sensors, $2000.

Again, Denzel Washington in Philadelphia with the injured client scent 😂

I bought 4 new Chevy vehicles from 1993-2011. They were comfortable and priced right. I also had a GM rewards card that saved me $3500 on each new purchase which kept me coming back for more. I suffered from every problem that is common knowledge now: 3.4 intake gaskets, 3.4 blown head gaskets, bad transmissions, 2.4 fuel dilution, etc. These problems you hear about are real. I don't understand how GM keeps making these mistakes.

I bought 4 new Chevy vehicles from 1993-2011. They were comfortable and priced right. I also had a GM rewards card that saved me $3500 on each new purchase which kept me coming back for more. I suffered from every problem that is common knowledge now: 3.4 intake gaskets, 3.4 blown head gaskets, bad transmissions, 2.4 fuel dilution, etc. These problems you hear about are real. I don't understand how GM keeps making these mistakes.
How about the TSB for DRLs burning out, that spanned 1995-2012? The 3157 bulb overheated sockets.

The answer on the TSB was to use 4114 bulbs instead, which were like 31w vs.27w. Talk about stupid (the idea was dirty voltage was causing bulbs to blow, but the reality is the current burned the sockets, where changing a bulb out would no longer cause the DRL to light up anymore).

I do want a new Tahoe, really (it's my favorite SUV). I choose to ignore all the old stuff lol

Original poster here, thanks for all the replies. I think I'll avoid this vehicle.
Can't blame you. Found out recently that car max charges like twice as much for their GM suv warranties compared to most of the competitors bc they are so problematic.

Really is a shame what has happened to GM the last 20 years or so.

This would be a 2nd vehicle. Vehicle has 76,000 miles, it's an 2LT trim with all wheel drive. The car fax shows regular maintenance has been done. I know the 3.6 timing chains have been an issue, but by 2014 the issue has been resolved..Hopefully. It's a one owner vehicle that has spent it's life in Eastern Wa state, rust is a non issue. Any thoughts or first hand knowledge on this vehicle would be helpful.
this is GM we are talking about. They have a history of NOT fixing old problems. I hope they have changed.

Back