Oil Filter Parent Companies?

I’m going to be cutting all of these open to compare them, along with Purolator One and Boss filters. I’ll do a YouTube video as well.

These are all specd for the GM LT1 motor that’s in my 1992 Corvette, along with many other GM motors.

I believe Purolator, Bosch and Mobil 1 are all made by Mann-Hummel, is that correct?

Fram - are they all made by Champion?

AC Delco and Wix?

Thanks for your help!
IMG_7059.jpeg

I’m going to be cutting all of these open to compare them, along with Purolator One and Boss filters. I’ll do a YouTube video as well.

These are all specd for the GM LT1 motor that’s in my 1992 Corvette, along with many other GM motors.
Awesome!
I believe Purolator, Bosch and Mobil 1 are all made by Mann-Hummel, is that correct?
That's correct
Fram - are they all made by Champion?
Since First Brands owns Champion Labs I would say Yes. There are some made in China & I would assume Champion has manufacturing over there too?
AC Delco and Wix?
Wix is Mann-Hummel too just like the other's you mentioned & I'm not sure on AC Delco

The PF52E & UPF filters are both made by Champ (which is owned by First Brands, who also owns Fram, but Champ is normally built in its own factory). I’ve been losing faith in Mann for a while, they’ve even been importing Chinese filters & slapping their name on them. I would take the Endurance out of this group-but the Ecore PF52E is a decent choice if price is an issue.

While first brands owns both Fram and Champion Lab, most Fram filters are made by Fram, durring some supply chain disruptions over the last few years some Champion parts have been intermixed with Fram and vise-versa on some applications, although the Fram Endurance at Wallyworld and the Fram Drive from AAP are Champion filters.
Mann-Hummel owns Wix and Purolator and has over the last few years been mixing production lines for some applications but generally they had been using the construction analagous to the name on the box even though they own them.
Current Mobil1 filters are made by Mann-Hummel(Purolator) older ones were made by Champion labs.
Most Delco filters are Champion Labs but with shortages some applications may also be made by Purolator.

All E core AC Delco's are Champ, and I highly doubt they went to another company to source filters for their Ultraguard Gold filters.

So, of the filters to be included, this seems to be the breakdown:

First Brands
  • Fram
  • Champion Labs
    • AC Delco
Mann-Hummel
  • Purolator
  • Wix
  • Bosch
  • Mobil 1

Last edited:
The parent companies change on a weekly basis almost; that's why I rely on YouTube cut-open videos and I try to pay attention to the date of manufacture if the person mentions it.

I think Champion Labs makes Royal Purple and the US built Fram Endurance. Champion Labs makes over 30 other branded oil filters. Too bad they don't say exactly what those other brands are ... hard to find information.

Many parts store branded filters are Champ. Canadian Tire here in Canada, their store brand filters are all Champ/Fram reboxed.

Castrol branded oil filters are Champ filters.

I'm pretty sure Pennzoil/Quaker State filters are Champ filters too.

The Toyota TRD cartridge filters are Champ. Also sold under Royal Purple, Amsoil and VP Racing.

Now you have 2 aftermarket oil filter companies essentially - M&H and First Brands, with whomever makes the microguard/ecoguard/Parts+ for OReilly/Federated/Same name coming up a distant third.

My guess is the fight for the private label business is forthcoming, or going on now. Once the two "bigs" get their manufacturing consolidated they will be looking for ways to make as many filters as possible. This was the reason Ford and GM helped bail out Chrysler in the 80's - they didn't want to compete head to head - margins go in the toilet.

Unless some others decide they want to play. You have Denso, Mahle and Hengst that could probably play there if they wanted to.

Back