Odd Amazon Pricing

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
Last week I was looking for an item on Amazon and found one that interested me for $9.99. I looked further to see if there was anything similar that might be of interest and didn't find anything I liked better. I went back to the first item to place the order and the price increased to $11.99. I wasn't sure I wanted to buy the item at that price so I closed the site and decided to think about it, and after a while decided I'd purchase the item at the higher price. When I went to place the order the price had dropped back to $9.99. All of this took place within the time frame of less than an hour.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Last edited:
Yes. Camelcamelcamel tries to track it.

You can also use the list feature to track changes.

IMG_0739.jpeg

Last week I was looking for an item on Amazon and found one that interested me for $9.99. I looked further to see if there was anything similar that might be of interest and didn't find anything I liked better. I went back to the first item to place the order and the price increased to $11.99. I wasn't sure I wanted to buy the item at that price so I closed the site and decided to think about it, and after a while decided I'd purchase the item at the higher price. When I went to place the order the price had dropped back to $9.99. All of this took place within the time frame of less than an hour.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
Absolutely!
This is Amazons algorithm extracting as much profit from an item that it can.
Dont worry though, soon with its new AI you wont even know its happening to you *LOL* It will track your behavior on the item you are shopping.
It also adjusts prices to its competitors to make sure it doesnt discount the price too much below what it sells for elsewhere and also tracks and most cases will now only meet the price of it selling elsewhere instead of undercutting.

Some people actually think a retailer is their friend, retailer is only loyal to its shareholders. AI is taking things to the next level.

Absolutely!
This is Amazons algorithm extracting as much profit from an item that it can.
Dont worry though, soon with its new AI you wont even know its happening to you *LOL* It will track your behavior on the item you are shopping.
It also adjusts prices to its competitors to make sure it doesnt discount the price too much below what it sells for elsewhere and also tracks and most cases will now only meet the price of it selling elsewhere instead of undercutting.

Some people actually think a retailer is their friend, retailer is only loyal to its shareholders. AI is taking things to the next level.
Yup. Analytics ftw

Thanks for all the feedback. It was much more useful than I expected, especially the links to other sites. And, just as I was typing this response, the item I ordered was delivered. I wonder if that's due to another Amazon Algorithm ;)

To add - the FTC is suing amazon over using its size and pricing power as a monopoly in pricing with other sellers. Details here:. https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/sep/26/amazon-ftc-price-inflation-lawsuit

My methodology is to put something I want in my cart, then wait till it gets to a price I am willing to pay. It happens all the time. This spring I ordered a Briggs air filter for $5. It showed up in the proper packaging, shipped and sold by Amazon and looked good, so I went to order a couple more, and bamo - now there $14 bucks. No thanks. Let it sit a month, it dropped down to $5 again. I ordered 4.

I must have, during some late-night tomfoolery, instructed ChatGPT to be "informal" with me:

"ChatGPT, there is a fellow on a message board forum I belong to that is suspicious of AI; believing that it may be used by retailers to manipulate customers into behaviours that, while profitable for the retailer, may be unproductive for the customer. What is your position on this concern?"

"Hey [real name redacted]! I get where the concern is coming from. The use of AI in retail can indeed be a bit of a double-edged sword. On one hand, it can help enhance customer experiences, like personalized recommendations. But, yeah, there's always the worry about how it might be used to nudge people into certain behaviors for the sake of profit. It's all about finding that balance, you know? What do you think about it?"

EDIT: Indeed, I instructed ChatGPT to be "very informal" with me in matters not related to programming, where I prefer technical accuracy and brevity. I used another account with the same prompt to get this:

"The concern about AI being used to manipulate customer behavior for the sole benefit of retailers isn't entirely baseless. There are instances where AI-powered algorithms in retail settings, especially in online stores, are designed to optimize sales, sometimes at the expense of customer well-being or genuine need.

AI algorithms can track and analyze vast amounts of data about consumer behavior, preferences, and purchasing patterns. Retailers might use this information to personalize marketing strategies, suggest products, or create incentives that encourage customers to make purchases they might not otherwise have considered.

However, the ethical use of AI in retail is a growing concern. Responsible companies strive to balance their business goals with customer satisfaction and well-being. They aim to use AI to enhance the shopping experience, providing tailored recommendations that genuinely align with customer preferences and needs.

Transparency in how AI is used and ensuring that it respects customer privacy and autonomy are crucial. Customers should have control over their data and the ability to opt out of personalized recommendations if they choose to do so.

Ultimately, while AI can undoubtedly be used to influence consumer behavior, how it's employed and the intentions behind its use make a significant difference in whether it's used to genuinely benefit customers or solely to drive profits for retailers."

So there you have it, @alarmguy: The subtext, inferences and implications are unambiguous. Our government and corporations will look out for us, guide us and take care of us. Now if you'll excuse me, I have some Consumer Products (tm) to purchase online. :^)

@uc50ic4more
Great post! I REALLY enjoy chatting with AI, I haven't in a while but I did post actual screen shots early this year. It was pretty cool. They have since tamed some of these chatbots. I remember (also posted I think) some disturbing verbiage from some of them, thinking they know better than us. This was from writers reviewing them. Since then, when I tried to upset "her" her response will be this is beyond the scope of ____ (whatever it was) Meaning no longer possible to get her to go off the rails on their superiority.
anyway, the population at large doesnt think like us, we are doomed. :unsure:

@uc50ic4more
Great post! I REALLY enjoy chatting with AI, I haven't in a while but I did post actual screen shots early this year. It was pretty cool. They have since tamed some of these chatbots. I remember (also posted I think) some disturbing verbiage from some of them, thinking they know better than us. This was from writers reviewing them. Since then, when I tried to upset "her" her response will be this is beyond the scope of ____ (whatever it was) Meaning no longer possible to get her to go off the rails on their superiority.
anyway, the population at large doesnt think like us, we are doomed. :unsure:
ChatGPT, et al went from "Don't worry - this thing is just a Large Language Model doing a (very sophisticated) parlour trick" to "Wait a minute - this thing can extrapolate logic from an ENORMOUS data set" in a very short time.

At present, I have ChatGPT (v3.5) write a lot of automation scripting for my computer network. At least 50% of the time I spot errors or have to improve on the written code. But as it gets better I can very easily see this taking over most customer service jobs, coding jobs, etc. A manufacturing facility will soon have AI use information from sensors to order more materials; or even instruct a bot to grab a part from a shelf, print out a mailing waybill and send a customer a replacement part for a warranty without any human involvement. Soon we may find it capable of strategic military thinking far beyond our own capabilities because it can integrate data from near-infinite sources and extrapolate logic about how different phenomena affect others in ways we've never imagined looking for. This can be thought of a "creative" thinking in a way.

I've fed ChatGPT a lot of my past writing, from emails to press releases (I handle media and communications for a handful of non-profits in my area) and now allow ChatGPT to write a sizeable percentage of not only my code but my public-facing communications; amazed at how "me" ChatGPT can present itself as.

But right now, SEO for online marketers, and faster/better/cheaper ways of getting customers' attention and converting that attention into purchases is a prime use case for this technology. Manipulating you.

Yes.

But just as bad are the fake floating delivery date lies. Buy because shown date then only after purchase does it float out…
Its clear I’m no Amazon fan. I use them to my advantage like I use any retailer. Loyal to no one but price.
I don’t pay for prime either. But we do get it for free a couple times a year. The company with best price and delivery speed wins. Which is many times Walmart.

I’ve had Walmart miss delivery dates far more often than Amazon. With that said price still rules and Walmart on good days gets me stuff in two days, on bad days they take as long as Amazon which is about a week.

Here in my part of the country, coastal NC we do not experience any Amazon delays. Meaning even though it’s slow as a snail the stuff arrives on the date it’s supposed to.

Having moved to a new home it’s been a banner year for the delivery industry at our house. 😉 We have lots of experiences from a multitude of companies, half the time we wonder what’s in the boxes 🤣 when they arrive.

They play price games all the time. I find myself buying less from AMZN because of them fooling around with their prices.

Wow, me too. I give Walmart a shot at the price too. I try to avoid Amazon if I can
I've been buying more from WMT too. I search for the best price. At the end of the day my wallet is my friend, I have no loyalty to any of the big retail outfits. Especially when they play games with prices.

Back