Amazon Vine reviewer

As a Prime subscriber I have found increasing use of the Amazon site for many of my purchases. I generally write product reviews for most of my purchases. These are honest summaries of what’s good and bad and sometimes just irksome about the product. My Amazon reviews get noticed and are often marked as “helpful“.

Amazon has a program for selected custimers called Vine Voices. I was recently invited by Amazon to join the Vine voices program. Amazon selects and recruits the Vine Voices members, you can’t volunteer or opt in to it. The + hook for the program is new Vine members can select up to three items per day (from a list) that cost less then $100 per item ($300/day) that will be sent to their home for free. It is theirs to keep. The - catch is that the Vine member is asked to use the product and leave reviews of at least half of the “free“ items sent to him/her. Amazon tags reviews left by Vine members reviewing free stuff right in the review. A Vine member reviewing something he purchases is still tagged as a Vine reviewer but without the disclaimer that the item was given to him/her for free.

Of course the IRS has noticed this and requires Amazon to send the recipient of these “free“ items a 1099-NEC once the total Fair Market Value of the freebies excends $600 for the tax year. Apparently food and some other baby and some health care items are assigned a FMV of $0 dollars and all books are FMV’d at 99 cents. So essentially you get the item to keep and the cost is the taxes you will have to pay on its FMV. So assuming you are in a 20% tax bracket means that a $100 item will cost you $20, payable to the IRS at tax time.

Are there any Amazon Vine Voices members here? I like to hear of your experiences with the program, the good, bad and the ugly.

I like to hear of your experiences with the program, the good, bad and the ugly.
They let me join recently. All I see is useless Chinese made stuff I have no use for.

Untitled.jpg

Most of the time it is junk from Chinese companies giving products to Amazon. You might find something, but not much worth keeping.

I have a few friends that are Vine members as well- one no longer bothers with the “freebies”……

They let me join recently. All I see is useless Chinese made stuff I have no use for.

View attachment 186178
Maybe it has to do with the algorithm that selects featured stuff to offer Vine reviewers based on past purchase history. Some is junk in my book but not everything is.

Yesterday’s Vine offer to me included a metal forged log splitter device, a 100% cashmere winter cap and a fishing rod storage bag. Todays offer includes a 4 pack of GNX brand (USA made) furnace filters, a 5 port HDMI splitter, a kiddie wooden step stool and men’s cycling shoes - the kind with the lock on cleats.

I’m currently evaluating a foam type pillow and a Bluetooth oven meat thermometer. Both are good quality, not junk. A bedside table made of metal and wood with a built in magnetic iPhone charger pad, 2x USB ports and 2 110V outlets is coming tomorrow.

What I don’t want to see happen is they select a bunch of stuff and just send it to me. I’m not looking to get to know the UPS delivery guy so well that we exchange Christmas and Birthday cards.

The tax thread made me think about my IRS experience with my Vine items. In 2023 I got about $2600 of “free” stuff through Vine and Amazon sent me a 1099-NEC in January 2024 for the value of the items as stated in the agreement.

I did the input for my and my wife’s regular income first so I could establish the effect that the Vine items had on my tax liability. I had a clear “before Vine” and “after Vine” tax number. When I inputted the 1099-NEC on my income side the TurboTax program viewed it as regular income and my taxes owed shot up.

I think there was also a penalty amount because I had not paid quarterly estimated taxes on the 1099-NEC income. I viewed that as bogus because I just became eligible for Vine in November 2023 and the $2600 was for stuff ordered in November and December 2023. There was no opportunity to pay quarterly estimated taxes. There was a spot to dispute the penalty by describing in words why the estimated penalty should not be applied. I did that.

Kind of hidden in the tax program a few step later was a question on whether the 1099-NEC was from casual or hobby income which I classify it as. When I clicked that box nearly 90% of my tax liability due to participating in Vine disappeared. I guess hobby income is treated differently.

In 2024 YTD we already have over $5500 worth of “free” Vine items. It’s easy to get that amount because I’m now eligible for 8 Amazon Vine items a day and unlimited dollar value for each item. The list of available items averages between 35,000 and 52,000 items a day. It updates in real time, right this minute my list stands at 41,354 items. The UPS guy hates us.

I've personally come to despise the Vine reviews. I haven't seen a negative one yet, personally. If you read between the lines on some it really feels like they're trying to say the product sucks, but they're afraid to say the product sucks.

Also much like SlickDealers, it seems you've got people just snatching whatever because it's cheap. So you wind up with soccer moms reviewing tools, etc. Nothing against soccer moms, but I personally wouldn't review something that's not in my area of expertise.

My wife does girly stuff and kitchen and bathroom item reviews and I do tools, car, household and repair items. We only order stuff we can use. We each left a two star review yesterday. I’d say we average about 4 stars. My wife is especially tough if it’s a POS. I’m very direct in the text if there are problems.

There is no requirement that the review be positive and Amazon never revises a review. They will kick it back for revision if you mention a product name - like if you get a replacement battery for a Bosch tool and you mention Bosch in the review or show it in the pictures it will 99% of the time get rejected. This is strange because the seller can say the battery is for a Bosch tool but the reviewer can’t show/do the same.

Also especially true for shooting sports items. I can get a shotgun case on Vine or a picatiney scope mounting rail but I won’t be allowed to show pictures of the case holding my Browning 12 g or the rail mounted on my gun. Even saying gun will often get a review rejected. I say something like it holds the item it was designed for very securely or I use it at the range and it works. Amazons review approvers appear to be the soccer mom set you describe and are easily offended and super woke.

The tax thread made me think about my IRS experience with my Vine items. In 2023 I got about $2600 of “free” stuff through Vine and Amazon sent me a 1099-NEC in January 2024 for the value of the items as stated in the agreement.

I did the input for my and my wife’s regular income first so I could establish the effect that the Vine items had on my tax liability. I had a clear “before Vine” and “after Vine” tax number. When I inputted the 1099-NEC on my income side the TurboTax program viewed it as regular income and my taxes owed shot up.

I think there was also a penalty amount because I had not paid quarterly estimated taxes on the 1099-NEC income. I viewed that as bogus because I just became eligible for Vine in November 2023 and the $2600 was for stuff ordered in November and December 2023. There was no opportunity to pay quarterly estimated taxes. There was a spot to dispute the penalty by describing in words why the estimated penalty should not be applied. I did that.

Kind of hidden in the tax program a few step later was a question on whether the 1099-NEC was from casual or hobby income which I classify it as. When I clicked that box nearly 90% of my tax liability due to participating in Vine disappeared. I guess hobby income is treated differently.

In 2024 YTD we already have over $5500 worth of “free” Vine items. It’s easy to get that amount because I’m now eligible for 8 Amazon Vine items a day and unlimited dollar value for each item. The list of available items averages between 35,000 and 52,000 items a day. It updates in real time, right this minute my list stands at 41,354 items. The UPS guy hates us.
This was very informative, also as a 1099. You have to pay self-employment tax (social security)
So that self-employment tax and Medicare) is over 15% PLUS you have to pay Federal Income Tax AND state tax

I don't buy (much) chinese junk from Amazon and I do leave a lot reviews, just not frequently. I'll do reviews about 3-4x a year and when I do, I'll do 15-20 at a time.

Based on the above comments, I'd take a hard pass at being a Vine member. I don't think a manufacturer of decent quality items is going to give them away that frequently.

I’m not going to try and defend the program. But if you think it is all “ Chinese junk” you would be wrong. The nice part of the program is you get to decide what you want sent to you.

In the last 3 months, partial list of my Vine haul:

Neoprene boot waders
Neoprene stocking foot waders
Neoprene rain suit - bib pants and jacket
Three TV wall mounts.
3 ‘ by 6’ raised-bed planter, bring your own dirt
Rice cooker
Travel iron
Garment bags for storage - 12
Fishing back pack - two, small and larger
Fishing reel 4000 size
Braided line - 30# test, 300 yards
Set of 10 freshwater flies
Shotgun case - soft
Rifle case with lock - hard plastic
Gun safe
Shooting vest with recoil pad - lefty!
Spare recoil pad - USA made
Shotgun sock silicone treated, USA made
Laser bore sights, 22lr, 9mm - USA made
Gun cleaning kit, 22 and 9mm USA made
Full set of camo for turkey hunting
Tree stand
Muck boots 18” high
18 inch by 6 inch deep round pot for the big meals, glass lid
52” ceiling fan, outdoor rated, UL approved
10x10’ canopy for beach or camping
8’ clam shell beach canopy
3 I-phone cases, two with built in battery
Men’s watch
Women’s watch
Ladder side extensions for 20’ ladder to support it off the gutters
Full set of melamine dinner and lunch plates for cabin
Set of 12 tall water glasses, clear, heavy
Set of 6 wine glasses, clear, thin like they should be
Four replacement cartridges for my laser printer
At least 10 pairs of ladies shoes for the wife
New cover for the 55” gas grill
Replacement filters for two sears shop vacuums
Replacement internals for a Weber grill
Side charcoal baskets for indirect heat on Weber
Cover for Weber charcoal grill
Set of Torx bits for ⅜ inch socket
Set of metal rated drill bits. 18 total
Set of wood countersink bits 12 total, various sizes
Camping lantern, LED
Car servicing LED light on 12” long bendable extension wand
3.5kW instantaneous hot water heater -for cabin outdoor shower
Bed side night stand -cabin
Fancy towel cabinet with hanging bar
Towel drying/warming rack, wall mount

Missing from the list is loads of jewelry, gloves, hats and beach wear plus decorative knickknacks that the wifey orders that I think is useless but it costs me essentially nothing and it makes her happy.

• Haha
Reactions: D60
Back