NTSB urges Mandate to Limit the Speed of new Vehicles to the Posted Speed limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other side of the coin is that cars are no more and no less than a part of the common national transportation system that we all share.
In light of that, it's hard to make a case for restricting the speed road vehicles are capable of as a restriction on individual rights or freedom.
Private roads are a different deal, and if you wanna get your ya yas in a car, most any track offers days when you can do so, and there are drag strips everywhere as well.
There have been too many nutsos driving too many cars too fast for something like automatic top speed limiting not to happen. If they were the only victims of their foolishness then one might just shrug, but not when they take others merely trying to go about their days with them.
I bought the car, so its not really a public asset. its MINE. the roads are a public asset, paid for in part by my taxes, so ill drive so I don't impede traffic and I wont speed more than 10 over (unless I'm trying to pass some old guy going 10 under on a 2 lane road)

I know; too bad my local and national class wins in CCA autocross events don’t count.
Do you teach anything other than to treat 1984 as a how-to manual?
You know though, that the rules of the road can't be designed for anything but the lowest skill levels... Otherwise it will be carnage...
I'm sure you've seen some truly stupid things happen on the track, but its still an environment that's 1000 times safer than a public road.
A professional driver on the street has probably seen way to many people die, and might have a better idea of what makes sense on a public road than a normal driver.

I have nothing to prove to you or anybody else. Please go away now,
then stop trying to convince us you're right. if you're not willing to back it up, then i dont really care. i'll stop replying to your posts though.

no hard feelings 😉

then stop trying to convince us you're right. if you're not willing to back it up, then i dont really care. i'll stop replying to your posts though.

no hard feelings 😉
I might try to take you seriously but using capital letters does show one’s level of education.

You have now changed what you wrote. And please don’t downplay being a truck driver or having a cdl. I was/had neither and was still a professional driver.

I'm not down playing anything. Apparently you think driving for 9 hours a day makes you a professional. I'll just sit in a medical office for 9 hours a day and call myself a doctor then.

I'm not down playing anything. Apparently you think driving for 9 hours a day makes you a professional. I'll just sit in a medical office for 9 hours a day and call myself a doctor then.

Also depends on WHERE one is driving for 9 hours a day. If it's on Interstate highways and other similar highways, it's not very impressive. They're the safest roads in the nation.

If it's on crappy Virginia 2-lane highways, well, that's a tad more impressive.

• Haha
Reactions: Pew
You know though, that the rules of the road can't be designed for anything but the lowest skill levels... Otherwise it will be carnage...
I'm sure you've seen some truly stupid things happen on the track, but its still an environment that's 1000 times safer than a public road.
A professional driver on the street has probably seen way to many people die, and might have a better idea of what makes sense on a public road than a normal driver.
I'm not convinced that my critic is a "professional" of any kind, but be that as it may, the techniques learned on the track or autocross course definitely have application to everyday driving- ocular driving/target fixation, threshold braking, skid recovery, weight transfer and the friction circle are valuble concepts to understand and apply. I sent my son to the BMW Performance Center two day teen school to learn the basics and followed that up with Street Survival where he learned the abilities and limits of his 1975 '02.
Although I guess that I could have saved a considerable amount of money by just buying him gas to drive up and down the road for nine hours per day over a couple of months. I'm sure that would have been equally informative.

Vercingetorix i thought u wanted me to go away. And technically I don't have an education, i was homeschooled and haven't gone to college yet, not sure if I want to cough up the money to get a shiny piece of paper that says im smart

Vercingetorix i thought u wanted me to go away. And technically I don't have an education, i was homeschooled and haven't gone to college yet, not sure if I want to cough up the money to get a shiny piece of paper that says im smart
This blue collar stuff sucks if you want a family and you’re not going to get far without some sort of degree/journeyman card. Learn from my mistake.

Some interesting takes in this thread... Could do without all the personal battles and arguing about qualifications, but whatever.

The lines that got me we along the lines of "nobody" does the speed limit.

Interestingly, my employer collects that data for the state I reside in, and it shows that under non-weather impaired driving conditions, for roads with a speed limit over 45 mph under our jurisdiction, that between 30 and 40% of drivers actually do the speed limit or below. 1/3rd of the traveling public is more than nobody...

The data also shows that the 85th percentile speed for nearly all road types is less than 10 mph over the posted speed limit. (The exception is 60 mph divided highways, mostly found in our urban areas, where the 85th percentile speed climbs to 13 mph over the posted speed limit). If you want to make the arguement that speed limits are set based on 85th percentile speeds, that is true except where state laws cap speeds in some circumstances - which is the case for most of the roads in our jurisdiction. The big point here is that 85% of drivers are traveling at speeds less than 10 mph over the speed limit.

If we are talking about speed limiting, then if a reasonable buffer is applied on top of the speed limit, say 20 mph, the reality is that less than 15% of the driving public is being affected by such a limitation.

I'm amused by the lines of of you have to keep up with traffic, etc... Its the same logic family uses when they tell me how fast they drive to the same places I go, and that they'll get run over if they go slower. And yet I get there too, and it sure doesn't feel like I'm getting run over and regularly pass other drivers. Reality is some people just like to drive fast - and that is one way of justifying their own behavior.

I drove cars in a previous employers work fleet that were capped at the maximum speed limit in Minnesota.... and survived to tell about it. If the traveling public isn't willing to police themselves, and law enforcement is unable or unwilling to reign that in, then this is the next logical place to look.

Some interesting takes in this thread... Could do without all the personal battles and arguing about qualifications, but whatever.

The lines that got me we along the lines of "nobody" does the speed limit.

Interestingly, my employer collects that data for the state I reside in, and it shows that under non-weather impaired driving conditions, for roads with a speed limit over 45 mph under our jurisdiction, that between 30 and 40% of drivers actually do the speed limit or below. 1/3rd of the traveling public is more than nobody...

The data also shows that the 85th percentile speed for nearly all road types is less than 10 mph over the posted speed limit. (The exception is 60 mph divided highways, mostly found in our urban areas, where the 85th percentile speed climbs to 13 mph over the posted speed limit). If you want to make the arguement that speed limits are set based on 85th percentile speeds, that is true except where state laws cap speeds in some circumstances - which is the case for most of the roads in our jurisdiction. The big point here is that 85% of drivers are traveling at speeds less than 10 mph over the speed limit.

If we are talking about speed limiting, then if a reasonable buffer is applied on top of the speed limit, say 20 mph, the reality is that less than 15% of the driving public is being affected by such a limitation.

I'm amused by the lines of of you have to keep up with traffic, etc... Its the same logic family uses when they tell me how fast they drive to the same places I go, and that they'll get run over if they go slower. And yet I get there too, and it sure doesn't feel like I'm getting run over and regularly pass other drivers. Reality is some people just like to drive fast - and that is one way of justifying their own behavior.

I drove cars in a previous employers work fleet that were capped at the maximum speed limit in Minnesota.... and survived to tell about it. If the traveling public isn't willing to police themselves, and law enforcement is unable or unwilling to reign that in, then this is the next logical place to look.

You love total power and control…. Over everyone else. Well you and your central planning friends…

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back