Nice videos on why to go OEM on an oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done plenty of oil changes on powerstrokes using regular champ filters. Never had a catastrophic engine failure or any types of problems. Good way to scare people into buying motorcraft parts. I think there oil filters are very good quality and great price too though.

Typical marketing. They could have some valid points, but instead stating them and explaining they fill it with so much [censored] that you cant believe any of it. Its a sales pitch.

I heard a LOT of might's, could's, and may's, didn't even make it through the complete vids. Gosh, there's 5 minutes I'll never have back. Reminds me of a Prolong commercial...

Originally Posted By: lyle
I heard a LOT of might's, could's, and may's, didn't even make it through the complete vids. Gosh, there's 5 minutes I'll never have back. Reminds me of a Prolong commercial...

I don't deny that but this entire forum is based on might's, could's, and may's!

I think what I am saying is that it really seems to make sense to go with OEM replacement parts as there are likely some aspects of the specification that the manufacturer outlined to be the way they are for a reason that aftermarket manufacturers didn't understand.

With oil filters in particular, there seems to be so many different approaches to making them, I have to assume the manufacturer had some knowledge when they chose their design criteria.

I spent a bit of time researching household air filters and the differences in performance was quite stark. Design differences could mean that one filter could be both less restrictive and more efficient than another. Material quality also makes a difference. Manufacturing quality and construction differences could result in some filters allowing unfiltered air through them.

So I think while those videos were good marketing, I think there was also truth behind them about what could happen if one uses non OEM products. As is often said on this site about oil change intervals or brand name or synthetic oil, there's an element of insuring yourself and I'd say an OEM filter is cheap insurance.

It's made me think twice about air filters also.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back