Cummins 6.7L - filter has no bypass or anti-drainback valve, why?

Watching a YouTube video where someone cuts open a oil filter. I always thought every oil filter had a bypass valve and a anti drain back valve. This gentleman cuts open a cummins filter for the 6.7L i was surprised that there’s no bypass valve nor an anti drain back valve. I can see why there’s no drain back valve just the way it sits on the engine. But why no bypass valve?

The bypass & ADBV is built into the oil filter housing on my 07'. Neither of those are built into any oil filter I've used.

Last edited:
Watching a YouTube video where someone cuts open a oil filter. I always thought every oil filter had a bypass valve and a anti drain back valve. This gentleman cuts open a cummins filter for the 6.7L i was surprised that there’s no bypass valve nor an anti drain back valve. I can see why there’s no drain back valve just the way it sits on the engine. But why no bypass valve?
Go look on the WIX filter finder. Most of their filters have bypasses, not all of them. I'm usually looking at 3/4-16, 13/16-16, 1-12 and 20x1.5mm thread filters.
Big Diesel engines usually have a built in filter bypass.

Go look on the WIX filter finder. Most of their filters have bypasses, not all of them. I'm usually looking at 3/4-16, 13/16-16, 1-12 and 20x1.5mm thread filters.
Big Diesel engines usually have a built in filter bypass.
That good to know. I looked at the WIX no bypass valve. So your explanation makes perfect sense and thanks again for educating me.

Lots of older GM engines also use a filter bypass valve built into the engine block. Therefore, the oil filter doesn't need one that's built inside the filter.

The Mopar MO-285 and Fleetguard LF16035 do not have an ADBV. IMO, I don't think it is needed with the filter hanging vertically on my 6.7L.

However if you use the MO-285 or the LF16035, they do have a bypass. You can see the spring in both of my C&P's below.

MO-285 C&P
LF16035 C&P

Just my $0.02

The Mopar MO-285 and Fleetguard LF16035 do not have an ADBV. IMO, I don't think it is needed with the filter hanging vertically on my 6.7L.

However if you use the MO-285 or the LF16035, they do have a bypass. You can see the spring in both of my C&P's below.

MO-285 C&P
LF16035 C&P

Just my $0.02
Those coil springs are not for a bypass valve. That spring simply holds all the guts tight inside the can. I see no bypass valve in those two filter photos.

That spring holds the element up against the base plate. They could still use an ADBV though. When changing filters, if you let them sit a little while after being shutdown, filter will only be about half full. JME

The MicroGuard filter does have a bypass valve in the bottom of it. Only filter I’ve ever seen with a bypass for the Cummins.

Back