New Tire Day! Off: Defender LTX M/S-2. On: Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015

Yeah, it’s definitely past time for me to do those again.

I polished them once already, in spring 2018 with excellent results:

My mistake was not doing anything to seal them afterwards, and this is the result. They’ve completely clouded over again - this time, even worse than before.

I also need to do the fog light lenses.

It‘s to the point that light output has been compromised quite a bit.

John, I have had bad luck redoing headlights with those polish/coating kits. They never last more than a few months with outdoor stored vehicles inn my experience. Heat on over to Rock Auto and you might be able to find replacement shell for a decent price.

I like yokahama tires myself

Attachments

• 69245.jpeg
    69245.jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 69244.jpeg
    69244.jpeg
    63.2 KB · Views: 50
Mich makes good tyres BUT OVERPRICED IMO unless you get them warrantied as they rarely like many other brands reach the warranty mileage!!

I'm surprised that DT didnt mileage warranty those for you. Same brand family or not.

They put my credit from the michelin defenders that wore out in 23k towards some continentals

Those yokohamas are my favorite mild AT tire.
DT just gave me a $70 prorate on each of my 50k mile Defenders. Also through in a "found it cheaper" discount, and 10% military discount. I was out of DT with 4 new 275/50/20 michellens for under a $800. Also since I got the prorate, they wouldn't do the $110 instant rebate, I was able to apply and get the $70 michellin rebate. Sometimes DT stacks discounts better than Kohls does.

How are the G015’s holding up?
No issues so far. The ride isn’t quite as smooth as the Michelin Defender LTX M/S…perhaps not unexpected, given that this is an A/T and the LTX is more of a highway tire.

Still a very good tire. They haven’t gotten out of balance; truck now has 258,xxx miles.

All my initial impressions that I wrote above stand. Great dry traction, no louder than the LTX, very good at cutting standing water, and I’ve now had the chance to drive in some light snow/ice (not enough to make a judgment, but they’ve done fine in it so far).

We’re out of town right now and don’t have the truck with us, but I’ll measure tread depth when I get home.

John,
Care to update on the Yoko GO15s? Have you put on enough miles yet to judge:
  • snow/ice performance
  • effects on fuel economy
  • any balancing issues
  • tread wear (how many miles do they have now?)
Thanks!

I’ll update on mine. They are as precisely made as any Michelin tire, and are uncanny-smooth on the highway, best…ever. Their dry traction is superb. They are sensitive to rotations if you don’t like tire noise. The only drawback with mine are this… they need some weight over them to effectively grip in the wet. Mine are surprisingly unpredictable in the rain. There are rains where they are confident, and rains where they lose their mind, and I’m not talking about the first 30 minutes where road oils come up, I’m talking about 2 day long rains. In the aluminum bodied ford, an attempt to gently accelerate during a lane change at 35mph has absolutely spun out, repeatedly, if the bed is empty. And with a LOT of tread remaining, there are streets I can’t get up in my neighborhood. Truck has a 200 lb fiberglass camper shell on it. So… I believe it is an incredibly well-made tire, very precise. Steering, handling, road noise is superb. But I think they need to be on an appropriately weighted vehicle for them to have adequate downforce.

that said, I am also picky about rain traction, probably more than I should be. i tend to replace tires early because of diminishing rain grip.

I’ll update on mine. They are as precisely made as any Michelin tire, and are uncanny-smooth on the highway, best…ever. Their dry traction is superb. They are sensitive to rotations if you don’t like tire noise. The only drawback with mine are this… they need some weight over them to effectively grip in the wet. Mine are surprisingly unpredictable in the rain. There are rains where they are confident, and rains where they lose their mind, and I’m not talking about the first 30 minutes where road oils come up, I’m talking about 2 day long rains. In the aluminum bodied ford, an attempt to gently accelerate during a lane change at 35mph has absolutely spun out, repeatedly, if the bed is empty. And with a LOT of tread remaining, there are streets I can’t get up in my neighborhood. Truck has a 200 lb fiberglass camper shell on it. So… I believe it is an incredibly well-made tire, very precise. Steering, handling, road noise is superb. But I think they need to be on an appropriately weighted vehicle for them to have adequate downforce.

that said, I am also picky about rain traction, probably more than I should be. i tend to replace tires early because of diminishing rain grip.
Thanks for all of that feedback.

That is weird behavior. Have you noted that they slip in the rain on specific types of pavement? Is it smooth blacktop, or concrete?

My application for these would be on my GMC 3500HD, so no shortage of weight. I will have an empty bed a lot of times. But the unpredictable wet traction you’re experiencing isn’t inspiring me. I’m picturing worst case scenario (towing camper, steep downhill mountain grade, torrential rainstorm… 😱 😆

Is your truck an F-150?

Aluminum 150. I think they would be extremely well suited for the 3500. I towed with mine and had zero problems pulling in the rain.

the f150 has 275mm wide tires on a chassis that weighs in around 4700 lbs. mine is a n extended cab, not a double cab, so there’s just no weight back there. My mid sized Lexus is almost 3900, and it’s half the size. the g015 is a highly rated tire. I wouldn’t let my comments alone scare you off. Get more data.

I think it is an ambient and surface temperature issue. A lot of A/T tires are iffy in the rain. The temperature will change properties. I think that is where the issue is.
They aren't Michelin or Continental. Unpredictability is, to me, the worst attribute of a tire, more so than lower performance.
Bridgestone Blzizak DM-V2 I have on Atlas is like that on ice. Sometimes they hold like being glued, sometimes, they break suddenly without any warning.

You may be spot on. I mean, certainly we would expect seasonal variations, but rain temps vary depending on the storm, and we do get some wild ones here. Nice point.

I made this same switch recently (Michelin to G015’s).

Slightly more road noise, same/same MPG.

Seem similar in the snow. No rain as yet.

Back