NEW Michelin LTX Platinum

Meeting the needs of the growing heavy-duty and luxury pickup truck market, the new Defender LTX Platinum tire will offer six 20” rim sizes with cutting-edge aesthetics and dramatically better treadlife than its competitive set. Featuring a 70,000-mile warranty, the all-new tread pattern and compound of the Defender LTX Platinum – derived from Michelin heavy truck technology – delivers outstanding wet and snow grip throughout the life of the tire.

Attachments

• IMG_2663.jpg
    IMG_2663.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 713
  • IMG_2665.jpg
    IMG_2665.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 709
  • IMG_2666.jpg
    IMG_2666.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 712
That tread is strange... be interesting to hear the reasons for it.

Its a good looking tire sidewall wise, if it fits anything i need tires for it'll be in the running.

The Wife's Armada came with 20" factory wheels and Michelin tires from the factory (defenders I think). They were terrible tires, got 30K out of them rotating and balancing every 6K. After much research, went with Nexen Rodian RA8 ATs to replace them, great tires and lasted 65K, on our second set of the Rodians now.

Odd tread. Seems to me it wouldn't be good at removing water from under the tire. Unless those little grooves act like suction cups ...:)

Currently very happy with the Defender LTX M/S on my truck. About 21,000 miles in and about 1/3rd the tread used.

I'll be due for tires in about 18 months, so I'm sure I'll consider these. Also plenty of time to get some reviews in.

Way back when, we did some race car tire testing for wet grip on very wet tracks with areas of standing water. The ideal tread pattern for dealing with standing water was a ribbed setup. Much like an aircraft tire. The idea that water could be ejected out to the side was found to be incorrect, although the directional tread pattern did have some advantages. Enclosed tread patterns were terrible!

In the end, what mattered is having linear, circumferential grooves.

ho_radial_wet_w2_full.jpg

6038c0339fb2ec5457f7e06639c336bd.jpg

06-02482.jpg

The Wife's Armada came with 20" factory wheels and Michelin tires from the factory (defenders I think). They were terrible tires, got 30K out of them rotating and balancing every 6K. After much research, went with Nexen Rodian RA8 ATs to replace them, great tires and lasted 65K, on our second set of the Rodians now.
How are noise levels on the Roadians RA8 A/Ts?

How are noise levels on the Roadians RA8 A/Ts?
Non-existent inside that truck, might be more noisy on other vehicles with less cabin noise insulation...can't say for sure as this is the only vehicle I've ever had them on.

Reactions: CKN
(6) 20" rim sizes....

Just when the major movement of most truck owners is removing the 20" wheels and going with 18" wheels for better ride, comfort and off-road use. Yes, better comfort in "luxury" trucks...

These 30-somethings that are running these large companies are hilarious.

(6) 20" rim sizes....

Just when the major movement of most truck owners is removing the 20" wheels and going with 18" wheels for better ride, comfort and off-road use. Yes, better comfort in "luxury" trucks...

These 30-somethings that are running these large companies are hilarious.
I do not understand your point?
A lot of trucks run 20” as it is impossible to fit brakes under 18” wheels.
Rarely anyone moves to smaller diameter except people who know this stuff, know other options etc. Those 20” are going to sell like hotcakes to soccer moms, “tough” dads etc.
And probably they will offer like 30 different sizes, if not more.

It looks like it was designed by the Michelin marketing department, instead of the engineering department.
Like if homer simpson designed a tire? Yeah - I agree with @edyvw here too, a good highway pattern, less noise, good treadblock siping, and the artwork has eye candy. I’ll bet we see a lot of them out there soon. Heck, if I’m being honest, the continental ATs I own now play that game a little, Michelin just turned it up a notch.

side note - I gave away the oem 20s and installed a set of 18” oem takeoffs. :)

-m

Im curious how the ltx platinum do in rain and snow. Plenty of siping, but how's the water supposed to get out from under the tire?

Michelin are not stupid, there's a reason for that tread design other than the looks - In the old days before TR was purchased by DTD wed have a "TJ Talking" on it.

What a bizarre tread pattern. It doesn't seem to make any sense.

And what exactly is the difference between the Platinum and the M/S2?

I look forward to seeing the Data on the Comparisons between the Michelin Platinum and the Michelin LTX, and Michelin LTX/MS2 that I've been running for 20+ yrs.
If the Michelin Platinums are Superior, I will happily buy them

Back