New ratchet?

A few years ago some guys here suggested the Pittsburg Pro ratchets at HF, I picked up a couple and they are way better than my 1980 Craftsman. Unless you use them every day for a living then get something better.

I have a set of tools at our other home in Petaluma (Wine Country, 90 miles away). I have 2 Pittsburg Pro 3/8 ratchets, a standard and long flex.
Saved my bacon more than once.

It will likely be replaced by a Chinese-made piece
☝ This....
I made that mistake when Sears first made the switch from USA to import, I didn't even realize it when I swapped it, I just grabbed the new one and left. I swapped out a tough old -V- 3/8 ratchet for a chinese pile of junk. My advice, coming from experience would be, see if you can get the rebuild kit, if not, hang onto it and buy a replacement. Maybe some time down the road you will find a cheaper rebuild kit for it. But once it's gone, you won't get it back. Hope this helps.

The Pittsburgh pro is a much better value than the Icon with lots of variations. I have their plastic ones and love them in the winter when something breaks on the tractor or blower and I cant get it back to the garage. I am no fan of HF but some of their stuff is a good solid value for the money, Icon is not one of them.

I made that mistake when Sears first made the switch from USA to import, I didn't even realize it when I swapped it, I just grabbed the new one and left. I swapped out a tough old -V- 3/8 ratchet for a chinese pile of junk.
At least at Lowes, all of the ratchets they had in stock, at least the 3/8", 1/2", standard, flex-head, etc were made in Taiwan. Better than China... and at the moment, I'm not sure there are made in USA Craftsman options (yet). Even the hyped-up plant they're building in TX may just be an "assembly" plant.

At least at Lowes, all of the ratchets they had in stock, at least the 3/8", 1/2", standard, flex-head, etc were made in Taiwan. Better than China... and at the moment, I'm not sure there are made in USA Craftsman options (yet). Even the hyped-up plant they're building in TX may just be an "assembly" plant.
I believe you are correct, I haven't seen any USA Craftsman ratchets for at least 10 years. I personally won't buy foreign if there is a USA option, which there are plenty for ratchets. So far the plant here in Texas doesn't seem to be doing much of anything, at least as far as I can tell. I (along with most of you I'm sure) am hoping that they will return Craftsman to their former glory of the best bang for the buck in tools (by a longshot), while having the hand tools made in the USA. But only time will tell. 🤞

In my opinion the ratchets Craftsman was putting in every set for the last 20 years or longer are junk even if they were USA made. The ones that still had the oil ball or the round head ones with the spinner knurling were the only ones worth anything.

all th ratchets I have could use a bit more lube in them, they work a lot smoother afterwards. I realise they don't break with the little to no lube they come with though.

I use the sqme silicon greqse I use for brqke jobs, the main enemy of my tools is water getting into them, silicone lube is my best bet to keep that out.

If you are talking 3/8" drive ratchets why does nobody recommend the SK 45170 ratchet?These are by far the best 3/8 ratchet ever made.Have used them for 45 years,mainly in outdoor power,they are great.Have tried other brands including Snapon and I still prefer the feel and and action of the SK.Whatever you do,don't buy the 1/2" model,far too weak,use Snapon style ratchets instead.

I would just warranty it out for a new rachet and throw that one in your tool box as a spare. Then - go buy a better one and use it. Those old 32 teeth craftsmans are terrible to use. I can't comfortably work with such slop and prefer newer 72+ gear units.

Harbor Freight Icon ratchets are actually pretty nice for the money.
Very nice! I actually switched over to ICON last year and have been adding pieces here and there as I need them and I've been impressed. I have their big rolling box with 2 end cabinets and hutch. It seems much more sturdier then the snap on it replaced.

If you are talking 3/8" drive ratchets why does nobody recommend the SK 45170 ratchet?These are by far the best 3/8 ratchet ever made.Have used them for 45 years,mainly in outdoor power,they are great.Have tried other brands including Snapon and I still prefer the feel and and action of the SK.Whatever you do,don't buy the 1/2" model,far too weak,use Snapon style ratchets instead.
That SK is a sweet ratchet! It was my go-to for many years but I usually reach for the Pitt Pro swivel head. It really doesn't compare to the old SK in quality or feel but the swivel is a game changer.

I like my SK 1/4 and 3/8 drive sets and often use those old school ratchets. However, snap on ratchets are my go to and I find them smoother and nicer.

Someone gave me the HF composite (black and red) ratchet and I don’t mind it, though it is clunky.

What do you guys recommend for a long handle flex head ratchet. I don't want to spend a huge amount of money because this won't be a regular use ratchet. I've looked at the Pittsburgh Pro from HF as well as the Icon brand from HF. They both have lifetime warranties.

What do you guys recommend for a long handle flex head ratchet. I don't want to spend a huge amount of money because this won't be a regular use ratchet. I've looked at the Pittsburgh Pro from HF as well as the Icon brand from HF. They both have lifetime warranties.
This one from Tekton is ok for the money. I like the thin head. They also have a plain handle.

The Carlyle long 3/8 flex from Napa is pretty good also, but Napa hasn’t had deal pricing on it lately.

Between the Pittsburgh Pro and Icon, I would probably choose the Pittsburgh Pro for lower price and its a reasonably proven ratchet.

Back