New ratchet?

I have a Craftsman made in USA ratchet that has seen better days. It is starting g to strip a little. Rebuild kits are $34 (part 43434). I wonder if I should rebuild it or get a new one with more teeth (at least 72, I think this one is 36). I would be open to other made in usa or quality made in Taiwan options. Just mot sure what to do. Thoughts?

I have a Craftsman made in USA ratchet that has seen better days. It is starting g to strip a little. Rebuild kits are $34 (part 43434). I wonder if I should rebuild it or get a new one with more teeth (at least 72, I think this one is 36). I would be open to other made in usa or quality made in Taiwan options.
What about finding out who actually made the ratchet and buying the rebuild kit from them ? I'm guessing you might be able to get a made-in-USA rebuild kit from the original manufacturer vs what I'm guessing would be a Chinese-made rebuild kit from Craftsman. Look for a letter or two letters stamped in the tool and look up the manufacturer. This presumes they're still in business though....

It will likely be replaced by a Chinese-made piece
Probably, although you never know with Stanley taking over the Craftsman brand, it could be Taiwan made too, or elsewhere. Either way I'd chance it and have $34 toward a new ratchet of my choice, and a warrantied Craftsman tool which might be OK. Opinions vary.

Get the rebuild kit if you love your old Craftsman. If you don't like
working with it I'd get a SnapOn, Stahlwille, Hazet, Gedore, Elora,
maybe Wera. None of them will be as cheap as that rebuild kit
though. Which size btw? Google suggests that repair kit is for 3/8".

Last edited:
Like motor oil we've gotten really good at building ratchets. Certainly there's some junk on the market but most any Taiwanese 72T or 90T mechanism will serve you relatively well at a cost which is probably less than our grandfathers would have paid. Even many of the HF offerings are great but Icon is over-priced AFAIC

Sadly SK couldn't manage to design a 90T mechanism so avoid the new LP90 stuff (which is basically cost prohibitive at normal retail anyhow so not likely to be a contender). Similarly Carlyle at NAPA is nice but Carlyle thinks if they try to price like SnapOn people will choose to believe they're as good as SnapOn.

Speaking of tool truck stuff there's plenty of good stuff used at decent savings on ebay

Probably, although you never know with Stanley taking over the Craftsman brand, it could be Taiwan made too, or elsewhere. Either way I'd chance it and have $34 toward a new ratchet of my choice, and a warrantied Craftsman tool which might be OK. Opinions vary.
Coincidentally, I broke my 3/4" ratcheting box wrench last weekend and exchanged it at Lowes today. While the same p/n wrench is almost 2" shorter, it was made in Taiwan. I looked at multiple standard wrenches, ratcheting wrenches, as well as most of their ratchets - all made in Taiwan.

Take a look at Dewalt ratchets. I have a 1/2" impact socket box set (made in Taiwan) that came with a 1/2" black chrome ratchet. It's pretty nice and not that expensive.

I agree with some of the above posters put the money towards a better ratchet. If anything email Craftsman and see if you can get a new one without having to return the old one. It’s worked for me a few times. If you are looking at some different ratchets my main choice is Snap-on but I also do this as a career so I can justify that and I understand if you can’t. Second choice is Matco particularly the locking flex head 88 tooth I believe it is. Then third is Capri they have some really nice ratchets pretty fine teeth too. Smooth feel. And Craftsman Gunmetal is not bad either for modern Craftsman.

They used to give you the rebuild kit under warranty when there were Sears stores around, but not sure if they still do? I would rebuild it. The made in USA ones were pretty good.

A few years ago some guys here suggested the Pittsburg Pro ratchets at HF, I picked up a couple and they are way better than my 1980 Craftsman. Unless you use them every day for a living then get something better.

Back