New lawnmower what oil to use

Status
Not open for further replies.
This kind of brand prostitution annoys me. If John Deere wanted to protect their customer's investments they should rebadge ACD or attach a well known oil makers name to the product line.

A friend of mine paid $$$ for Cub Cadet 30W dino oil. For what she paid (and a tad more) I should have just poured in ACD or some spare RL.

It might be worth heading down to wally's discount shelf in the oil department.

I bet there is plenty of HD30 oil there very cheap.

Unless its overly cool there, I would use the straight 30 weight, unless your mowing your lawn in the dead of winter.

Quote:

This kind of brand prostitution annoys me. If John Deere wanted to protect their customer's investments they should rebadge ACD or attach a well known oil makers name to the product line.

A friend of mine paid $$$ for Cub Cadet 30W dino oil. For what she paid (and a tad more) I should have just poured in ACD or some spare RL.

You can see JTK's thread about Cub Cadet Drive System Fluid for another good example of this. $8.99 a quart for what appears to be a mediocre but adequate lube when used in the recommended application.

No big surprise. It's more about their revenue stream than your equipment...

In both my Honda powered Lawnmower and Pressure washer, I use Motorcraft 10w30 semi-syn. It's cheap, easy to get at Wallyworld, and covers the spec from Honda. 4 qts for $10 will last me for a few years. Good enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back