Natural gas generator

Or you could just use exactly what the manufacturer recommends and keep all receipts from oil purchases . After the warranty is up you can come back here and get a zillion different recommendations .

Well what I meant was since this is not in a transmission can you still can't use it? What if the motorcycle oil has an API license appropriate for the OP's generator? Will there be too much friction for the generator engine?

If you buy motorcycle oil it comes with MORE FRICTION characteristics. Why would you want to do that to a Generator or any other engine besides a motorcycle where it's needed? And just because a Motorcycle oil meets an old API spec doesn't mean it's ideal for your generator. That's another reason WHY manufacturers create their own specs. Specs or not I learned from experience there are real differences & putting motorcycle oil that comes with more friction is not ideal for other engines.

I'll state it again... Don't run oil labeled as Motorcycle oil in anything other than a Wet Clutch Motorcycle. There are too many other option to choose from anyways & the cycle oil is usually priced higher to boot but that is not the main reason.

If you buy motorcycle oil it comes with MORE FRICTION characteristics. Why would you want to do that to a Generator or any other engine besides a motorcycle where it's needed? And just because a Motorcycle oil meets an old API spec doesn't mean it's ideal for your generator. That's another reason WHY manufacturers create their own specs. Specs or not I learned from experience there are real differences & putting motorcycle oil that comes with more friction is not ideal for other engines.

I'll state it again... Don't run oil labeled as Motorcycle oil in anything other than a Wet Clutch Motorcycle. There are too many other option to choose from anyways & the cycle oil is usually priced higher to boot but that is not the main reason.
Interesting. So Mobil 1 V-Twin motorcycle oil meets or exceeds API SJ (exactly what the OP is looking for), and says "Consistent power due to reduced frictional losses" yet this would be unacceptable for his use? How would he know that just by looking at what's on the container or their website?

You also note that manufacturers create their own specs, so what specs does Briggs have for this engine that he should look for?

All of this is relevant to me as I also have a natural gas standby generator.

Many, if not most, shared-sump motorcycles call for JASO MA or MA2 lubes. There was a time when some of the Rotella lubes were specifically stated to meet those specs (tho not licensed), right on the PDS from SOPUS. And yet the Rotella products also met many API specs at the time as well. I ran Rotella conventional 15w-40 in several of my motorcycles (GL1800s; Victory 106/6) over two decades; never had a problem. I've also run that same lube in my diesel tractors with no issues. I've run it in some of my older cars with no problems. It's very important for a shared-sump clutch to not have too much moly; makes them slip. But using a MC rated lube in a normal engine means nothing to the engine. Hence, I think the whole "don't use MC oil in a non-shared sump engine" is an over-hyped concern with no basis in reality.

There are some companies out there that make NG specific lubes, but I don't think it's worth the extra effort and cost to buy them.

The B&S engine in this application, while it may be flat tappet, runs either at 1800 rpm or 3600 rpm; not exactly high engine speeds. And the valve spring pressures are fairly low in these modern OPE engines. If you've ever had the opportunity to push on the valves in one of these OPE engines, the spring pressures are quite low; you can easily push on them with your thumb. Therefore I think the "need" for high ZDDP in these applications is sort of overblown. It's not like this is a solid-lifter flat-tappet engine with a lopey high-lift cam we're talking about here .... Just because your granddaddy's garage built flat-tappet hot-rod 396 Chevelle or 427 Galaxie needed really high ZDDP, doesn't mean this application does.

You can run a MC specific oil in the B&S engine and it will be fine.
You can run a modern diesel rated product and it will also be fine.
It's also OK to run any modern PCMO that meets the specs.

Given that we don't know where the OPs mother is located, I'd just have to guess and say that if it's LA like he is, cold starts are not an issue.

Last edited:
Well that's the first time I've ever heard of that. What about if the motorcycle oil carries an API license that's appropriate for the automobile? Would it be okay then?
Agree. I think there’s a difference between coefficient of friction on a wet clutch, and the use of an oil for hydrodynamic lubrication.

Ok, let's see who will be the first inline to run Motorcycle oil in their truck? None if it matters... who cares right... Friction means nothing it seems.

OP: Did you figure out what you're going to run for your generator?

It better than wiping cam lobes.

This is the first time you've heard that Passenger car motor oils contain friction modifiers vs motorcycle oil?

I seen it first hand. I ran my motorcycle with regular car oil & when I would get into the throttle to pick up speed it would not pick up the pace. I was nieve about car vs motorcycle at first. Then I decided to just buy some motorcycle oil b/c it was on sale & what do you know the transmission was way more responsive. When I turned the throttle now it would engage the trans more & pick up speed with the same throttle input now. Which let me to dig more into the differences. Unfortunately, a lot of folks naysay & doubt as were seeing in this thread.

https://www.castrol.com/en_us/unite...e-oil-and-fluids/motorcycle-vs-motor-oil.html

"Passenger car motor oils also contain friction modifiers which could lead to slipping and acceleration loss in a motorcycle. And modern cars require lower viscosity motor oils that may not protect gears properly in a motorcycle and could lead to gear failure."

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants...ts/difference-between-car-and-motorcycle-oils

"In a motorcycle, where the motor oil may lubricate the transmission, a motor oil that does not have the same level of friction modification (for fuel economy) of a typical passenger car motor oil will provide better transmission performance in terms of transmission lock-up and slippage. So motorcycle motor oil does not contain the friction modifiers of a passenger car motor oil."

https://blog.amsoil.com/motorcycle-oil-vs-car-oil/

fantastic said:
I'll state it again... Don't run oil labeled as Motorcycle oil in anything other than a Wet Clutch Motorcycle.

Sir, you are conflating, and therefore confusing, the issues.

In those links you provide above, they each clearly are indicating that normal PCMO products would be not good for use in a shared sump system. I agree 100% with that premise.

But, you're taking it a step further in the opposite direction; you're saying it's bad to run a MC rated oil in a non-shared-sump engine, because of "friction modifiers". That is a gross misunderstanding of the issues at hand. Not one of those links you provided even discusses the use of MC lubes in normal engines. You took liberties in implying that; and that's not OK. Nowhere in those three links does it say it's unsafe to run a MC lube in a normal engine. In fact, as far as the engine itself, there's not anything to make us believe that the air cooled v-twin in the generator is really much different than an air cooled engine in a motorcycle (clutch/trans aside).

MC oils do not have chemistry added to increase friction for shared sump applications. What they have is LESS of the friction reducers common in typical engine applications with no shared sump. Primarily, moly was the offending element that caused clutch slippage. It's not that the MC lubes have more of something; they have less FMs so that the clutches won't slip. But IN NO WAY does that make the lube unsatisfactory for use in the engines themselves.

THERE IS NO REASON YOU CANNOT RUN A MC LUBE IN A NORMAL LOW-TECH ENGINE, as long as the vis is appropriate for the temp range. I would agree that running a MC lube in a modern GDI engine may be a concern if the LSPI is not addressed by the lube. But that's not the conversation we're having here; we're discussing a low-tech air cooled B&S engine in a generator.

The flat tappet issue is moot because these OPE engines do not run high valve spring pressures.
The "shared sump" concern is moot, because MC lubes are safe for low-tech (OPE type) engines.

Your links that you provide DO NOT IN ANY WAY back up your claim; you are contorting the issues and attempting to extract information that does not exist in those links. You are assuming that because one should not use a non-MC lube in a shared sump engine, that the reverse is also true; but it's not.

As I said before, a good example of a JASO MA/MA2 applicable lube would be the Rotella examples; they were acceptable for use in shared sump applications, but they were designed/marketed for HDEO "normal" engine applications, and often carried API spark-ignition approvals. Here is a link to T4 15w-40:
you can clearly see that they recommend the lube for many applications, including MA/MA2 (shared sump) and also API SN.
Here is the T6 variant; also showing MA/MA2 as well as many API applications
Here is the Mobil 1 motorcycle oil; it specifically calls out MA/MAs as well as SN from API.
Here is the Valvoline MC rated oils; they also show MA2 as well as API applications
These several examples above clearly contradict your claim that one should not run a shared-sump lube in a non-shared sump application.

I 100% object to your assertion that MC lubes are bad for non-shared sump engines; that's hogwash. Any MC lube marketed for shared sump MA/MA2 applications that ALSO carries an API license/recommendation would be fine for ANY engine application requiring that API standard.

Last edited:
The flat tappet issue is moot because these OPE engines do not run high valve spring pressures.
The "shared sump" concern is moot, because MC lubes are safe for low-tech (OPE type) engines.
Agreed, since it is after all a shared sump. These engines use the same oil in both, how would anyone get around the fact that the oil is also used for engine lubrication?

Sir, you are conflating, and therefore confusing, the issues.

In those links you provide above, they each clearly are indicating that normal PCMO products would be not good for use in a shared sump system. I agree 100% with that premise.

But, you're taking it a step further in the opposite direction; you're saying it's bad to run a MC rated oil in a non-shared-sump engine, because of "friction modifiers". That is a gross misunderstanding of the issues at hand. Not one of those links you provided even discusses the use of MC lubes in normal engines. You took liberties in implying that; and that's not OK. Nowhere in those three links does it say it's unsafe to run a MC lube in a normal engine. In fact, as far as the engine itself, there's not anything to make us believe that the air cooled v-twin in the generator is really much different than an air cooled engine in a motorcycle (clutch/trans aside).

MC oils do not have chemistry added to increase friction for shared sump applications. What they have is LESS of the friction reducers common in typical engine applications with no shared sump. Primarily, moly was the offending element that caused clutch slippage. It's not that the MC lubes have more of something; they have less FMs so that the clutches won't slip. But IN NO WAY does that make the lube unsatisfactory for use in the engines themselves.

THERE IS NO REASON YOU CANNOT RUN A MC LUBE IN A NORMAL LOW-TECH ENGINE, as long as the vis is appropriate for the temp range. I would agree that running a MC lube in a modern GDI engine may be a concern if the LSPI is not addressed by the lube. But that's not the conversation we're having here; we're discussing a low-tech air cooled B&S engine in a generator.

Your links that you provide DO NOT IN ANY WAY back up your claim; you are contorting the issues and attempting to extract information that does not exist in those links. You are assuming that because one should not use a non-MC lube in a shared sump engine, that the reverse is also true; but it's not.

As I said before, a good example of a JASO MA/MA2 applicable lube would be the Rotella examples; they were acceptable for use in shared sump applications, but they were designed/marketed for HDEO "normal" engine applications, and often carried API spark-ignition approvals. Here is a link to T4 15w-40:
you can clearly see that they recommend the lube for many applications, including MA/MA2 (shared sump) and also API SN.
Here is the T6 variant; also showing MA/MA2 as well as many API applications
These examples clearly contradict your claim that one should not run a shared-sump lube in a non-shared sump application.

I 100% object to your assertion that MC lubes are bad for non-shared sump engines; that's hogwash. Any MC lube marketed for shared sump MA/MA2 applications that ALSO carries an API license would be fine for ANY engine application requiring that API standard.
I stand corrected...

Motorcycle's should use motorcycle oil if it's a shared sump. AND so long as the cycle oil meets API specification for your equipment then it's safe to run. I was misinformed. I assumed that it worked both ways.

If Super Tech Motorcycle oil has the correct API specification for the generator it can absolutely be used. I did some quick calling to a few of my sources & they confirmed this is true.

However, I still believe that motorcycle oil can be more expensive than a Full synthetic PCMO off the shelf so there would be little reason to use cycle oil over a PCMO for a generator.

So this happens in every shared sump engine?
It was my way of saying "Of course using motorcycle oil in a generator is better than damaged camshaft". But I understand that I could have worded it better for others to understand.

Many, if not most, shared-sump motorcycles call for JASO MA or MA2 lubes. There was a time when some of the Rotella lubes were specifically stated to meet those specs (tho not licensed), right on the PDS from SOPUS. And yet the Rotella products also met many API specs at the time as well. I ran Rotella conventional 15w-40 in several of my motorcycles (GL1800s; Victory 106/6) over two decades; never had a problem. I've also run that same lube in my diesel tractors with no issues. I've run it in some of my older cars with no problems. It's very important for a shared-sump clutch to not have too much moly; makes them slip. But using a MC rated lube in a normal engine means nothing to the engine. Hence, I think the whole "don't use MC oil in a non-shared sump engine" is an over-hyped concern with no basis in reality.

There are some companies out there that make NG specific lubes, but I don't think it's worth the extra effort and cost to buy them.

The B&S engine in this application, while it may be flat tappet, runs either at 1800 rpm or 3600 rpm; not exactly high engine speeds. And the valve spring pressures are fairly low in these modern OPE engines. If you've ever had the opportunity to push on the valves in one of these OPE engines, the spring pressures are quite low; you can easily push on them with your thumb. Therefore I think the "need" for high ZDDP in these applications is sort of overblown. It's not like this is a solid-lifter flat-tappet engine with a lopey high-lift cam we're talking about here .... Just because your granddaddy's garage built flat-tappet hot-rod 396 Chevelle or 427 Galaxie needed really high ZDDP, doesn't mean this application does.

You can run a MC specific oil in the B&S engine and it will be fine.
You can run a modern diesel rated product and it will also be fine.
It's also OK to run any modern PCMO that meets the specs.

Given that we don't know where the OPs mother is located, I'd just have to guess and say that if it's LA like he is, cold starts are not an issue.
She lives half an hour from the Gulf, very mild winters and excruciating summers. This summer was the worst I can recall in my 32 years.

Ok, let's see who will be the first inline to run Motorcycle oil in their truck? None if it matters... who cares right... Friction means nothing it seems.

OP: Did you figure out what you're going to run for your generator?
Ill run either the Vanguard 15W50 or M1 VTwin 20w50. The Amsoil heavy duty CI-4 15W40 is another option.

My parents had a Briggs PPDX20, 20kw generator installed at their house last year, V-twin 993cc Briggs Vanguard engine. According to the manual it has SJ rated synthetic 5W30 from the factory. My mom wants me to do the maintenance on it, Briggs recommends 15W50 in this engine for continous use commercial duty applications, 20 degrees to 130 degrees. I think the 15W50 would suit it much better, and being natural gas it burns very clean. I see Redline offers a Powersports 15W50, Amsoil offers a 15W50, and was also looking at HPL, not sure if they have a 15W50. It has a 10 year warranty, also considering just sticking to the Vanguard 15W50. I dont mind spending the $$$ for oil for this unit, the oil and filter will be changed every 100 hours or yearly. Which oil would you run? South Louisiana so it doesnt get very cold.
might as well just use what they recommend. its not like its a piece of machinery that holds 10 gallons of lube oil.
alternatively Valvoline has a Nat Gas specific engine oil in ther Premium Blue line but it is available in 15w40.

Back