Rotella T1 30W or Supertech HD-30 for Small Engines

I'm looking to save money on lawnmower oil but still want something good. I been using Briggs and Stratton SAE 30 and have read people recommending Rotella T1 30W for lawnmowers but I was also looking at Walmart's Super Tech SAE HD-30 that is rated SP. What do you guys recommend for lawnmowers and do you know the ZDDP in each?

Most small engines high ZDDP will make no difference the engines rev at around 3000 to 3600rpm with low pressure springs and in many cases the cams may be made out of nylon. Most off the shelf oils are going ot be similar either they have a modern PCMO additive package or they have an add package meant to be lower ash for use in 2-stroke Detroit engines. The exact oil you use, just don't use non-detergent doesn't matter in an air cooled small engine so long as it's at least a 30 grade at operating temp, just change it at a reasonable interval and it'll last a decent while.

I'm looking to save money on lawnmower oil but still want something good. I been using Briggs and Stratton SAE 30 and have read people recommending Rotella T1 30W for lawnmowers but I was also looking at Walmart's Super Tech SAE HD-30 that is rated SP. What do you guys recommend for lawnmowers and do you know the ZDDP in each?
Buy what is the cheapest. Either will do a good job with a very forgiving B&S engine. What will make the biggest difference is changing the oil atleast every 50 hours or every season..

SuperTech 10w-40 (now a blend) in all my OPE for many, many years. Also recommended to my friends. My mower is a 2003 Craftsman lawn tractor and uses no oil from season to season.

That walmart 30w will be fine. If you have a tractor supply around you, they carry a brand named Travelers, which would also be fine, they sell it in 30w and 15-40w

You don't mention where you are from, but a 15w-40 diesel oil should work well in anything other than a snow blower. As was mentioned earlier, 15w-40 is the new SAE 30.

Super Tech is $4 a quart - Rotella T1 is $18 for 4 quarts $4.50 a quart.

For $.50 a quart it doesn't matter -

My question would be which is the better oil for OPE like a generator?

B&S SAE 30 in the 48 ounce container is always "on sale" for $9 which is $6 a quart.

I currently have Super Tech and B&S on hand - every time I go to WM I am tempted to grab some Rotella T1 - I have 30 quarts of OPE oil on hand - it is not like I need more oil.

If you had all three on hand which would you grab first if you knew you were going to running the engine hard for a few days (but still planned on changing the oil as required)?

I can't really say that either one is better than the other, the Supertech likely uses a modern PCMO add package while the Rotella T1 is an older lower ash package for Detroit Diesels, in OPE engines changed at a reasonable interval there'll likely be no noticeable difference between either, although one may find quart bottles a more convenient for filling small engines over a gallon jug.

Back