Synthetic 20W-50

I recently purchased a Cub Cadet Z-Force SX Zero turn mower.

It has the Kawasaki FR730V Engine.
They are an air cooled engine, with a 2.2 liter oil capacity, & no oil cooler.

I think I am looking for an engine oil with a good HTHS quality.

Has anyone used the Valvoline SynPower Motor Oil 20W50 Full Synthetic motor oil? It has the API rating SP, which should exceed the SF-SL recommendations listed.

I don't see any oil analysis reports for this oil in its Virgin state.

Any other oil recommendations in a 20W-50 weight (or other) I should consider?
I would prefer to run a synthetic, but maybe just as well with a conventional oil being it wont be getting extreme engine hours in a typical year.

It is being stored indoors in a heated garage so a heavier weight oil isn't a big concern.
Just looking for others thoughts, have heard of complaints with these engine starting to burn oil if using a lighter weight oil.

1711743282195.jpg

Just use whatever thicker oil. i use st 15w-40 for the engine and st 20w-50 in the hydrostat. I can run it for 2 hours straight in the summer on my small farm but at home it would only run for like 30 mins so a thinner oil would be fine.

I have a 33 hp with about the same oil capacity and a 10w30 FS is okay but I use what I have..usually a FS or SS 10w40.. Works well.
I have tried 20w50 but I didn't like it and to avoid drama I'll leave it at that.
And I mow over 50 acres a week.. I run an old Fram Ultra for the filter

Mine (Kawasaki) doesn't consume any 10W-30. I really say you shouldn't even need a 10W-40.

Why not a 15W-50?

A 15W-50 would probably be as well as a 20W-50.
A 10W-40 would probably be fine too. Just thought the 50 would have a higher HTHS rating.

20W-50 gets me down to freezing temps. I will not have a need to start it at these temperatures, & if I do it will be in a heated structure.

Probably go with this one.
cant seem to find specs on the SynPower. Maybe the same stuff.
20w-50 gives me a wide range of temps, and should have lots high enough HTHS.
Might go back to the dealer and see what they have to offer.

1711751585825.jpg

Last edited:
I've used it in hydros, as well as Kawasaki and the Toro/Exmark Chonda V-Twins. Runs smooth and always looks good after draining it each season with no consumption. I have a neighbor and a friend with a tree farm who only use 20w50 in their machines.

Mobil 1 15W-50 is well known for protecting hard working air cooled engines perfectly. It's available for a reasonable price in 5 quart jugs at WalMart. Finding a synthetic 20W-50 for a similar price is not going to be easy.

The synthetic diesel oils are also very good choices. Rotella T6, 5W-40 is a robust oil, and Mobil 1, TDT, 5W-40 is even more so. Both will perform similarly in your engine, handle the heat and keep the internals spotless.

Back