New Fram Ultra XG3980 with just a sticker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a a Fram Ultra XG3980 from Walmart, and it has just a sticker attached to the can, instead of the normal printing on the can with reference marks. This filter does not have any installation reference marks, or a manufactured date code on the filter. Just has a sticker plastered on the side of it that says XG3980, and the blurb about installing it, and where it was made, which was the USA.

I have a PH3980 orange can and a TG3980. Both of those have the regular print on the sides of the can with date codes. The last two XG3980's I bought, prior to this one, all had the print on the side of the can with the installation reference marks and date codes. So what is going on here with this XG3980 with the plastered on label? I like the reference marks personally, so I don't have to use a sharpie, but it's no big deal. Is this some kind of cost cutting measure or what?

The box was sealed, and it did not look tampered with, and it does look like a genuine Fram Ultra other than what I have already described. I would have taken it back to Walmart, but they only had one other in stock, and it had been opened. I am thinking that the filter I got was one of the work shop filters that are being hustled on Ebay, and some how I got one in a retail box from Walmart. Good chance I am wrong too because this one does have the black grip on it. The filter does look cheesy with just a label plastered on it.

Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
PICS or it didn't happen...

Before I waste my time with pictures, I want to hear what's going on with this filter. You can do a search in this forum to see I have no problems posting a picture, but you will have to wait till tomorrow because I like to use natural light. I can post up a dated receipt too.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
PICS or it didn't happen...

Before I waste my time with pictures, I want to hear what's going on with this filter. You can do a search in this forum to see I have no problems posting a picture, but you will have to wait till tomorrow because I like to use natural light. I can post up a dated receipt too.

lmao ok so you're full of it

Originally Posted By: steveh
The date code is laser etched.

I am aware of what a Fram date code looks like, and where to find it. This filter only has stick on label with no date code printed on the can. The sticker has print on it, and that's it.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3781262/Re:_Ultra_XG3600_Date_Code_Mis#Post3781262

Originally Posted By: KingCake
lmao ok so you're full of it

Yes sure I am imagining looking at this Fram Ultra with a cheesy looking sticker plastered on the side of it.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3781262/Re:_Ultra_XG3600_Date_Code_Mis#Post3781262

No date code on the one I just bought. Just a sticker on the side of the can.

In other words.....I am a blabber mouth...See my capital letters>>> IT DIDN'T HAPPEN...

Fixed it for you.

On two Ultras I got from WM online, date code 11/15, they also didn't have the reference marks. Sometimes the date code is under the label. Yes they also have only a sticker, no printing on the can. The date code was parallel to the base, hard to see, before they were running perpendicular, along the length. I bet your are OK.
DSCN1765_zpsodpmwlpp.jpg

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Wow, aggressive with the accusations are we? When did this start happening?

I believe it's called a lack of common courtesy. Lot of that in this day and age.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
On two Ultras I got from WM online, date code 11/15, they also didn't have the reference marks. Sometimes the date code is under the label. Yes they also have only a sticker, no printing on the can. The date code was parallel to the base, hard to see, before they were running perpendicular, along the length. I bet your are OK.
DSCN1765_zpsodpmwlpp.jpg

Ok I found the date code. It was just to the left of the label(couple inches or so) in the picture you posted. Had to use my headlamp, and a magnifying glass to see it. This is the first XG that I have bought that has had a sticker on it. No big deal because I do know it's a good filter. Just made me wonder whether or not I had a counterfeit.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Wow, aggressive with the accusations are we? When did this start happening?

That's for sure. I snapped some pictures, and was getting ready to post them when I found the date code, so I will just let it ride.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
The date code is laser etched.

I am aware of what a Fram date code looks like, and where to find it. This filter only has stick on label with no date code printed on the can. The sticker has print on it, and that's it.

I bought a Fram Ultra XG3600 quite a while ago (Jun 2015), and it was the same way. Sticker on the can and no laser etched dated code. I'm familiar with the date code and know you have to use a strong flashlight to see it, and I've seen it on other Ultras I've bought. I looked forever on this XG3600 and there was no date code.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...ing#Post3772484

The ultras i have seen were all pretty much uniform.. I always open the box to make sure there is no problem with the filter before i buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back