New caddy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kkreit01
A Focus ST will have more room & just as much (more) fun.

It's just a different kind of fun (FWD vs RWD).

Unless you get the top of the line Focus ST it's not even close.

But it is a whole lot cheaper.

This vehicle is not aimed at econoboxes.

I knew their not even competitors. I was just speaking personally. I don't plan to buy neither. Both would be fun. I personally would save $15-20k and get the Focus ST. I'd take the CTS > the ATS for practical reasons.

It's a great single, or couple's car only.

Really, singles, or couples do not even need a 4 door sedan (unless they are real estate salespeople or such).
At least I know that I don't.

Hey, Caddy, how about an ATS-V Coupe??!!
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

Really, singles, or couples do not even need a 4 door sedan (unless they are real estate salespeople or such).

cool.gif

Coupes have to be biggest PITA I have ever had. I owned a 95 Civic coupe for 9 years single/couple. It was awful to get stuff in, terrible for rear passengers, cargo awful even with full folding seat and had longer doors. Even grocery shopping required use of trunk.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Originally Posted By: dailydriver

cool.gif

Coupes have to be biggest PITA I have ever had. I owned a 95 Civic coupe for 9 years single/couple. It was awful to get stuff in, terrible for rear passengers, cargo awful even with full folding seat and had longer doors. Even grocery shopping required use of trunk.

Yes, everyone is different, hence my disclaimer.

I just know that I was perfectly fine with this car, even with TWO kids playing hockey at the same time, and one was even a GOALIE!!!

It looks like a worthy competitor in its market segment. It probably wouldn't be on my short list, but competition always improves the breed...

As the OP it should be noted that I am NOT a caddy fan. I just like cars, and am impressed with the way Cadillac has been spitting out good ones.

I have a feeling this one will be getting the "V" treatment soon!

Once around the block (at age 15) in a 1958 Coupe deVille just might change your mind...

I had a buddy who's Dad was the AMC dealer north of town and Joe always had a car off the used car lot: starting in fall of 1965 he used to give me a ride to High School if he saw me at the bus stop (and this was the overhead electric trolly-type bus, same as in San Francisco and Minneapolis, I believe).

For almost that entire year he drove a blue '58 Coupe deVille, and I would climb into the back seat because his little Sister demanded to always ride "shotgun".

Mom's last car was a 1983 Coupe deVille with the 4.1L aluminum (HT4100) V8 driving the rear wheels: my Brother still has it in St. Petersburg. All new paint job. Gets about 25mpg in town and 30 on the highway with the cruise control set at 65.

As I recall that was only available in the Seville & deVille for that one year: in 1984 they turned it sideways and spawned the 1st generation of FWD Cadillacs.

The standard motor was the 368" but the rest of the running gear was the same: with a THM400 behind the 4100HT it never was really challenged. We never had any problems with that motor, BTW. Must have gotten one of the "good ones", huh?

Cheers!

Originally Posted By: Norm Olt
Once around the block (at age 15) in a 1958 Coupe deVille just might change your mind...

I had a buddy who's Dad was the AMC dealer north of town and Joe always had a car off the used car lot: starting in fall of 1965 he used to give me a ride to High School if he saw me at the bus stop (and this was the overhead electric trolly-type bus, same as in San Francisco and Minneapolis, I believe).

For almost that entire year he drove a blue '58 Coupe deVille, and I would climb into the back seat because his little Sister demanded to always ride "shotgun".

Mom's last car was a 1983 Coupe deVille with the 4.1L aluminum (HT4100) V8 driving the rear wheels: my Brother still has it in St. Petersburg. All new paint job. Gets about 25mpg in town and 30 on the highway with the cruise control set at 65.

As I recall that was only available in the Seville & deVille for that one year: in 1984 they turned it sideways and spawned the 1st generation of FWD Cadillacs.

The standard motor was the 368" but the rest of the running gear was the same: with a THM400 behind the 4100HT it never was really challenged. We never had any problems with that motor, BTW. Must have gotten one of the "good ones", huh?

Cheers!

Nice post
smile.gif

Only thing I'll add is that FWD Caddies happened a long time before 1984. The Eldorado was FWD, my grandmother had a 1972.

I should clarify for Norm that I LOVE older Caddys.

I had a 63 coupe deville that was a rocket, what a car. My friend John had a 1968 sedan deville. We used to race them all the time, mine usually won at lower speeds but he could stay right with me at the top end.

One day John was going really fast and the rear ujoint let go! That was spectacular! Destroyed the car so bad he had to junk it.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: Norm Olt

Cheers!

Nice post
smile.gif

Only thing I'll add is that FWD Caddies happened a long time before 1984. The Eldorado was FWD, my grandmother had a 1972.

That's 100% correct. The Olds Toronado,the Eldorado (and the GMC Motor Home, as well) were actually the 1st Generation General Motors FWD's.

Cheers!

p.s. SteveSRT8: I know: your taste in cars is almost as good as mine...

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

GM is not in the rental car fleet business like it used to be. Get with the times and open your eyes...GM is putting out some nice products finally. Actually I am also proud of Ford too. The American car industry will be back on top in this decade. The pendulum always swings..

Very true. Dodge is putting out some great cars too. The Jeeps are selling like crazy and I just watched a video of the new Dart cruising on the highway getting 44MPG, while the AC was blasting. With 160hp, that's pretty impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back