Auto-Braking required in 2029

Like other safety features mandated and shunned by many like seatbelts/shoulder belts, ABS, stability control, and now this...the benefits for all on the roads will FAR outweigh the minor issues that you will get. I've had a vehicle with auto-braking for 6 years, it's a good feature and will save most folks' butts at least once.

Last edited:
If the car can detect and avoid collisions, can we un-mandate the crumple zones, airbags, antilock brakes, seatbelts, padded dashes, etc.

Can we just mandate people put their cell phones down?

I had a rental Altima a few weeks back. We got a little rain. I suppose it got on the sensor. The car alerted me that it couldn't "see" in front of me and forward collision systems were off.

If the car can detect and avoid collisions, can we un-mandate the crumple zones, airbags, antilock brakes, seatbelts, padded dashes, etc.

Can we just mandate people put their cell phones down?

I had a rental Altima a few weeks back. We got a little rain. I suppose it got on the sensor. The car alerted me that it couldn't "see" in front of me and forward collision systems were off.
Why wouldn't you want a car that could save your butt even if it's unlikely b/c you are "such a great driver and never screw up"? I'll take my ABS and the rest. Cell phone use is so far down compared to what it was in the past due to the advances in having Apple Car Play/Android Auto. While I see it at times, it's nothing like it was 10 years ago. I never touch my phone now, it's in the holder and hooked up to AA for calls/texts/Waze etc.

Our 2019 Pathfinder had this system as does my 2022 Nissan Frontier. I've never had it so much as blip the brakes or take throttle away. I've only have had it give me some warning beeps which were well warranted at the time. When my wife took out a deer with the Pathfinder, or should I say, the deer took out the Pathfinder (nearly $9K in damage), the emergency braking system remained intact, but there were still expensive diag and re-cal fees for it on the collision repair bill. Radar doesn't pickup a deer flying in front of you very well.

What I don't like is the expensive sensors and calibration procedures required. I know the main radar component is behind the bumper/fascia. I'm not sure if forward cameras are required for this system, but that also makes windshield replacement costs very expensive.

The other nice thing here is for the older folks still driving....I know this is the main reason by parents got a new vehicle...

Auto braking at least on VW gives you a warning by showing indicator and pulse brakes . If you don’t do anything it will engage.

It also does not work when slush on the camera(VW front emblem) or heavy rain where camera cannot see.

Like other safety features mandated and shunned by many like seatbelts/shoulder belts, ABS, stability control, and now this...the benefits for all on the roads will FAR outweigh the minor issues that you will get. I've had a vehicle with auto-braking for 6 years, it's a good feature and will save most folks' butts at least once.
I don’t know anyone who ever said their seatbelt malfunctioned.

I personally was involved in a low speed accident because the malfunctioning ABS in my truck refused to just let the brakes work despite me standing on the pedal and only going about 5mph. Now the power to the ABS unit has been disconnected and I have real brakes again.

I don’t know anyone who ever said their seatbelt malfunctioned.

I personally was involved in a low speed accident because the malfunctioning ABS in my truck refused to just let the brakes work despite me standing on the pedal and only going about 5mph. Now the power to the ABS unit has been disconnected and I have real brakes again.
I have been in a car like that, the front brakes chattering away and not much actual braking happening... At low speeds on loose snow or gravel, or sand on pavement, its better to lock up and let the tires dig down and plow than keep rolling over new loose material.
My car has no ABS and I don't really care really, as being attentive and scrubbing some speed going into questionable situations is still better than hoping your nannies can change the laws of physics at the last second....

I guess with more people texting its not a bad thing to have more cars automated braking, but as usual, the same group of people who don't pay attention now will probably pay less attention...

Why wouldn't you want a car that could save your butt even if it's unlikely b/c you are "such a great driver and never screw up"? I'll take my ABS and the rest. Cell phone use is so far down compared to what it was in the past due to the advances in having Apple Car Play/Android Auto. While I see it at times, it's nothing like it was 10 years ago. I never touch my phone now, it's in the holder and hooked up to AA for calls/texts/Waze etc.
Mostly because I believe in personal accountability. I should be able to choose autonomous features on a car. It shouldn't be mandated.

Mandates are a way for .gov followers to choose what is best for other people. I'll choose what's best for me. You can choose what's best for you.

I guess with more people texting its not a bad thing to have more cars automated braking, but as usual, the same group of people who don't pay attention now will probably pay less attention...
Require all cell phones with text capability to have GPS and to disable texting while in motion. There could be a dismissal screen that says “I’m not driving” but if you lie it’s grounds for losing your license and/or forfeiting your insurance coverage.

My car beeps if I'm coming up on a slow moving, slow turning gravel truck in front of me even though I have an "out" to steer around it. I do imagine an auto braking event waking up an inattentive driver like few other gizmos have the ability to do so.

Emergency braking has been a mandatory requirement for new car models introduced in the EU after May 2022. and some manufacturers already had it on all new cars since 2021. I'm not hearing of any particular problems other than sensor malfunction due to dirt or snow when you get a warning that Emergency braking won't work.

My 2019 Rogue has auto braking and it almost caused me to get rear ended on the highway.

Being one who actively drives my car well past the hood, I had seen a car merging in while I had someone next to me in the left lane. I had begun coasting and had ample room for the other car to merge, but Nissan decided otherwise and the car slammed the brakes.

I’ve gotten used to it and plan accordingly. It’s also the first error I get when driving off when there is a frost on the car or the sunrise is causing a glare. It just won’t work in those conditions.

On a positive, my son said his Rogue kept him from rear ending a car that was stopped when he messed up.

Peak BITOG/get off my lawn action in this thread. Are there really people here driving that have an issue with ABS? Good lord. I like being able to emergency brake and steer at the same time. I track a car with ABS...it's just not intrusive at all and allow such great control while braking vs. the old pump and pray. Often the issue with loose conditions is traction/stability control which you can just turn off if the conditions warrant much like you turn those off when you want to spin the wheels to get unstuck in snow, sand, etc. On modern vehicles with passive safety systems, you can turn them all off if you want to go without.

Mostly because I believe in personal accountability. I should be able to choose autonomous features on a car. It shouldn't be mandated.

Mandates are a way for .gov followers to choose what is best for other people. I'll choose what's best for me. You can choose what's best for you.
Sure, but when you share the road with everyone, there have to be some groundrules I'm afraid. I can safely drive at triple digits in my car without issue on a highway but that 65mph speed limit is there to make sure that your elderly mother, your new-to-driving 16 year old son, and the rest of the varying skills/comfort levels can all have some reasonable safety on our roadways. You can always turn off the passive safety bits like collision braking etc. if they bother you, just like you can turn off auto stop/start that bothers people. ABS and seatbelts, well, not sure what folks are going on about here. At some point, the less crashes/serious injuries we have, the better for everyone on the road and lower my costs are in general from an insurance standpoint and healthcare.

What is a ".gov follower"?

• Haha
Reactions: D60
The company I retired from in 2017 had started specing their class 8 trucks with automatic transmissions and automatic braking. Talk about the ‘pucker’ factor!
My co had a campaign to get drivers to shift at a lower rpm like 1400. It was said that by doing so across 6,000 tractors equates to x$ saved in fuel. Shift? 😂

It wasn’t that long ago maybe 11 years….

I think it’s foolish to argue “against” safety belts, ABS, stability, airbags.

But I do have one gripe. On my manual car, I hate the hill holder feature. The rear brakes grab for x ms on every takeoff. Unless I keep my foot off the brake when taking off. I believe this and the stability control result in the rear brakes lasting barely more than 50% of the fronts…

Reactions: Pew
Back