*New Amsoil SSO 0w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill - I think ericdapig was just kidding….

Steve S sometimes I do get frustrated. Amsoil is near the top with publishing data and information. Not the best, but they try. Sometimes they print more and people say they can't believe it because they didn't have their lawyer witness it. So then you basically say Amsoil only sells to suckers and fools (I know those weren't your words) - so yes I am sensitive.

I must say people do come to me sometimes confused by the data. I spend a lot of time telling them oil is not miraculous, and I do this for a reason - I'm that last person who wants to create false impressions or rather way overstated claims, like 10 mpg improvements and such. OTOH hand MOST of my customers are VERY intelligent and discriminating when it comes to lubes. These guys aren't fools - so again your implication is insulting to my customers - what am I supposed to say?

So I do know what you are implying - by not liking/believing/trusting the 4-ball results it may seem as if Amsoil benefits from some few confused consumers, maybe more than the other oil companies, but I can simply say this is not the case.

Yes, I was just kidding.

BUT, in the realm of long drain there really are no other players in the 30w grade. M1 EP's reputation seems to be dropping fast. If you take EP out of the picture, who else is there for 10k+ OCIs. PP can get you to 10k, but then it looks like the TBN is getting close. Schaeffer can get you to the 12-14k realm.

But if you want relative "peace of mind" at 15k/1 yr at 30w (or 20w) - name another player.

?

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Bill feeling better I hope?

Yeah. Got off one pain pill that was screwing me up.

Thanks for asking!

Bill

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Oh....

I CAN use the excuse I'm on drugs!

Pablo I did not imply or post derogotory names. I left out literature after Amsoils .But I stand by my statement .

OK So maybe I'm taking it the wrong way....you really aren't insulting Amsoil users? Just that some people who don't know about about oil could be "taken" by the claims?

I just placed my first order for Amsoil ATM, a couple of years ago I started using the Severe Gear from the local auto parts store because so many mechanics in the area demand it for their service work, I admit it has taken me three years of considering Amsoil partly due to the negative response from people as to good to be true, well I grew up in the Grand Rapids Michigan the home of Amway and I still live in the area, and the founders of Amway have taken some grief over the years just like Al Amatuzios, these are all very intelligent people who have taken on the giants of the world to get their product out there and proved there is more then one way to do that and I have allot of respect for those accomplishments, how many people are capable of doing that? and they are driven to make the products the best because of the challenge to themselves and the customers, the best part is every thing is being delivered directly to my house and I feel that I received good feedback when I asked questions from the Amsoil representatives before I placed my order, I have called the other major motor oil manufactures 800 numbers and most of the time it is a joke what they tell you, call back 10 minutes later or the next day and you will receive a totally different answer to the same question, also I feel I have more control in my choices because with the Amsoil Action News and a great web site I am much more informed and confident about the product then with other companies that you only have a web site that is lucky to be updated once a year, when my oil stash is used up at the end of the year I will be ordering SSO for my other two vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: Pablo

Oh....

I CAN use the excuse I'm on drugs!

I do not have an excuse

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Are you and dargo related? This is surely NOT a product for you
grin2.gif

You would be surprised to find out who are my relatives are.

Ralph Nader? Ted Kennedy? Lewis duPont Smith? Species 8472?

..but I'll agree that there is no magic oil...at least in the sense that it will make you run faster and jump higher like P.F. Flyers w/the action wedge. Some will just do a great job longer or under harsher conditions.

I have a 2001 Aztek ( 51,000 miles) and a 92 Geo Storm ( 150,000). Both engines call for 5-30. Am I gonna be okay running this straight 30? I live in Louisiana so Heat is much more of a problem than winter months.

I know it is probably a noob question but this seemed like a good place to ask.

Let's not argue and just let future UOAs build a trend.

SSO was almost clear when it was put into my engine. It was a bright gold up to 3,500 miles. But when I checked my dipstick around 4k, it was a dark blackish brown, barely opaque. I know oil shouldn't be judged by color but I was surprised at the sudden change.

I'm at 5,100 miles and it looks the same. Anyone experience something similar?

Originally Posted By: Reishi
I have a 2001 Aztek ( 51,000 miles) and a 92 Geo Storm ( 150,000). Both engines call for 5-30. Am I gonna be okay running this straight 30? I live in Louisiana so Heat is much more of a problem than winter months.

I know it is probably a noob question but this seemed like a good place to ask.

Are you asking about this: Amsoil ACD SAE 30
or this
Amsoil SSO SAE 0W-30?

Either would work will in your climate and cars.

Originally Posted By: televascular
Let's not argue and just let future UOAs build a trend.

SSO was almost clear when it was put into my engine. It was a bright gold up to 3,500 miles. But when I checked my dipstick around 4k, it was a dark blackish brown, barely opaque. I know oil shouldn't be judged by color but I was surprised at the sudden change.

I'm at 5,100 miles and it looks the same. Anyone experience something similar?

At about the 5K mark SSO did something similar in my Volvo. I thought it was nearly opaque as well until I really studied the oil on the dipstick, and held it against a white rag - it's dark but it's still quit translucent. Interesting. Oil gets dark, if not then I really wonder especially after 5K or so.

Originally Posted By: Petty
Al Amatuzios, these are all very intelligent people who have taken on the giants of the world to get their product out there and proved there is more then one way to do that and I have allot of respect for those accomplishments, how many people are capable of doing that? and they are driven to make the products the best because of the challenge to themselves and the customers, the best part is every thing is being delivered directly to my house and I feel that I received good feedback when I asked questions from the Amsoil representatives before I placed my order, I have called the other major motor oil manufactures 800 numbers and most of the time it is a joke what they tell you, call back 10 minutes later or the next day and you will receive a totally different answer to the same question,

Good points, agree. Many many dealers are misinformed and that can be annoying to those that know better.

Amsoil is also part of the "conservation" effort we should be taking more serious.

My wife told me this morning that her car seems "smoother" after this oil change. She never comments on anything when it comes to the car,unless of course somethings amiss or broken. Take it FWIW,I have @ 10 miles passenger seat time in the car and have not heard a cold start yet,couple more days and I'll give my seat-o-the-pants meter report.

Just put SSO in my truck. I just get abit of noise if my truck sits for 3-4 days....which I believe is normal. The engine seems smoother and a small increase in MPG.

Originally Posted By: ericthepig
But if you want relative "peace of mind" at 15k/1 yr at 30w (or 20w) - name another player.

No input here from my previous post? I mean, there are other 20 and 30 grades that can marginally make it into the extended OCI realm (10 to 12k-ish) - but I know of none that are formulated for 15k+ OCIs. So if my vehicle is spec'd for 20w, and I want to do 15k OCIs - do I even have a choice of oils. In this way, Amsoil indeed stands alone - but perhaps "magic elixir" is too strong a description.

Are you and dargo related? This is surely NOT a product for you
grin2.gif

You would be surprised to find out who are my relatives are.

Ralph Nader? Ted Kennedy? Lewis duPont Smith? Species 8472?
Gary that is just mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back