Need Opinions On Stop Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dave5358
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

I provided the Lubto-Moly link for you to read where it states, 'It prevents leaks and regenerates SEALS'. That to me sounds as if it 'WILL' stop a rear main seal leak.

http://www.liqui-moly.us/liquimoly/produktdb.nsf/id/us_2020.html?Opendocument&land=US

My bad - I didn't look at the link. I was thinking of Liqui-Moly Anti Friction - the MoS2 product. The Motor Oil Saver seems to be the German equivalent of various American 'stop leak' seal-gasket-fixer products.

This is the old out dated bottle;
http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/lubro-moly-engine-oil-additive-lm2020
This is the latest version, which I bought from NAPA;
http://www.liqui-moly.us/liquimoly/produktdb.nsf/id/us_2020.html?Opendocument&land=US

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

In full disclosure. Right around the same time we did the OC the fuel pressure regulator was replaced. It was leaking fuel onto the engine. It was the cause of the fuel smell it had and may have contributed to the strong chemical/oil smell( dissolving crud on the block ). Now that it is fixed and not leaking onto the block it may be part of why the oil/chemical smell is so much less?

How long was she running with a bad fuel pressure regulator? Aside from a gas smell you mentioned and breaking down crud in the engine it can cause damage and extra wear to the engine too. Changing it would improve the idle and stop the smell of gas. Hopefully it wasn't driven too long with the bad FP regulator.

About 6 months. I had it checked for the gas smell a couple times at an indy shop while he did other things. He is usually really good but he missed this. IT came and went at 1st too which never helps. I finally did an internet search for 05 Impala fuel smell and discovered the FPR was a common issue. Had the DODGE dealer check it for me and they said I was right and they changed it. No more gas smell.
banana2.gif

At 1:35 PM CST today we pulled the cardboard from under the engine. Before doing the VML and Lubro Moly OCI the oil spot/ring was about 4" in diameter. Yesterday, my dad drove over 400 miles before parking it at 8:30 PM last night. There is an oil spot/ring about 2-2.5" in diameter on the cardboard.
To be continued.............

UPDATE!
Its been 3 weeks now that we did an OCI with VML 5W20 and Lubro Moly. My dad has put 1825 miles on the OCI. The oil leak circle is down to about a 1-1/4" diameter circle on the card board we placed under the engine. Something is working.
thumbsup2.gif

I went to my dads house this AM and checked the card board. This past week was a very busy week for my dad. The current OCI now has almost 2500K miles on it and the drip is now almost as small as a quarter (25 cents) in diameter.
I wonder if it's the VML doing a better job on the leak over the Lubro Moly, or vise versa? Or, could it be both, equal?

It has been almost 2 weeks since I checked the oil leak. The OCI is now at about 3.5K miles. The oil drip size on the card board is about half the size of a dime.
My dad is getting kind of antsy. He usually has his oil changed every 3-4K miles. I suggested he keep this OCI to at LEAST 7.5K miles. I thought he was going to pass out!
grin.gif

Anyway, with the combination of the VML and the LM, they are making this rear main seal leak go away.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: dave5358

I provided the Lubto-Moly link for you to read where it states, 'It prevents leaks and regenerates SEALS'. That to me sounds as if it 'WILL' stop a rear main seal leak.

My bad - I didn't look at the link. I was thinking of Liqui-Moly Anti Friction - the MoS2 product. The Motor Oil Saver seems to be the German equivalent of various American 'stop leak' seal-gasket-fixer products.

Yep. But it actually works. Its a di-ester iirc and contains boron which will add tbn and extend an oci

At 1:35 PM CST today we pulled the cardboard from under the engine. Before doing the VML and Lubro Moly OCI the oil spot/ring was about 4" in diameter. Yesterday, my dad drove over 400 miles before parking it at 8:30 PM last night. There is an oil spot/ring about 2-2.5" in diameter on the cardboard.

UPDATE!
Its been 3 weeks now that we did an OCI with VML 5W20 and Lubro Moly. My dad has put 1825 miles on the OCI. The oil leak circle is down to about a 1-1/4" diameter circle on the card board we placed under the engine. Something is working.
thumbsup2.gif

I went to my dads house this AM and checked the card board. This past week was a very busy week for my dad. The current OCI now has almost 2500K miles on it and the drip is now almost as small as a quarter (25 cents) in diameter.
I wonder if it's the VML doing a better job on the leak over the Lubro Moly, or vise versa? Or, could it be both, equal?

It has been almost 2 weeks since I checked the oil leak. The OCI is now at about 3.5K miles. The oil drip size on the card board is about half the size of a dime.
My dad is getting kind of antsy. He usually has his oil changed every 3-4K miles. I suggested he keep this OCI to at LEAST 7.5K miles. I thought he was going to pass out!
grin.gif

Anyway, with the combination of the VML and the LM, they are making this rear main seal leak go away.
thumbsup2.gif

Awesome.
I recommend the stuff and it has worked in every leaker I've used it in so if it didn't work for you I'd feel like a liar.
And I think I said somewhere I'd pay for it if it didn't work.
Dodged a bullet there.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I would go to 5K and then do another OCI with the oil saver... After that go with Maxlife or QS Defy...

Is QSD just as good or better than VML?
Also, do you think my dad will have to keep adding a can of LM at each OCI?

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I would go to 5K and then do another OCI with the oil saver... After that go with Maxlife or QS Defy...

Is QSD just as good or better than VML?
Also, do you think my dad will have to keep adding a can of LM at each OCI?

I'd keep using it. However once the leak stops try an interval without it. If the leak stays stopped done deal. If it drips again add it.
It adds tbn which will extend the oci and may help pay for the additive itself in a longer drain.
Just spitballing though

Id stay with whatever is working. I used LM motor oil saver + mos2 with mobil 1 hm and slowed my toyota tacoma leaks and seeps within 3 oci. You might consider only using half as much of stop leak and see if it will hold. There again, if you are happy with your current results then continue your application method with confidence. Liquimoly has got something for almost anything and anybody.

UPDATE:

Finally reached 1000 miles and had the filter changed today and then topped off with more GTX. I didn't get to check the filter to see if it felt extra heavy or not? No CEL's or engine noise though so all seems to be going ok.

There is no question the oil burning smell has dramatically been reduced. The ARX does seem to be working at least to a degree. Now another 1000 miles and then I need to do an OC and we will see from there if it starts using oil again and/or smelling badly?

UPDATE!
thumbsup2.gif

grin.gif

thumbsup2.gif

It has been almost 3 weeks since I have checked the card board for an oil leak. When I checked it this AM there was a spot about the size of a pea. The current OCI is now at 4700 miles.
Opinions on running the current OCI to 7.5K miles then repeating the same procedure?
confused2.gif

It's been just over a week since I last checked the cardboard. With almost 5200 miles on the current VML 5W20 and Lubro-Moly OCI, I can now report,"NO OIL DRIPS!"
My cousin did notice there was a little bit of 'weepage' (is that an actual word?) on the oil pan but no drips.
I don't know which of the 2 lubricants (probably both) sealed the RMSL, but I do know that my dad is very happy that he does not have to have it fixed. (Yet, anyway!)

I didn't even bother reading through this whole thread, but I wanna say that I used my first stop leak product ever - Bar's Leaks Transmission Stop Leak Concentrate - about three weeks ago because the front seal of my transmission appeared to be seeping and I could literally watch the oil slowly drip onto my driveway like a leaky faucet. Having it fixed would have costed too much money for my old truck, so I paid about five dollars for the stop leak and gave it a shot.

Fluid level wasn't as low as I thought it would be so I only got about half the recommended amount in the tranny. Because of that (plus my existing skepticism about "snake oil" as it is) I thought it would do absolutely nothing. With the recommended amount the back of the bottle said it'd work in 300 miles or three days. To my amazement I looked under my driveway after half a week and there were NO fresh oil spots. Rain has washed away much of the previous spots and the fresh spots used to stand out like a sore thumb. I've even check under my truck in parking lots after I'm done shopping and there's nothing. It actually worked and stopped my transmission leak. I'm genuinely shocked but very happy about it.

My advice? Try a stop leak product. I'd use a Bar's Leaks product again in a heartbeat because I've had a great experience with them. It might not do a thing, but it also might turn out to be that magic five dollar fix like it did for me. I'm extremely glad that I gave it a shot and stop leak products are no longer just [censored] to me.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Id stay with whatever is working. I used LM motor oil saver + mos2 with mobil 1 hm and slowed my toyota tacoma leaks and seeps within 3 oci. You might consider only using half as much of stop leak and see if it will hold. There again, if you are happy with your current results then continue your application method with confidence. Liquimoly has got something for almost anything and anybody.

Liqui-moly products are the only additives I will spend money on. Their products work as advertised,period.
Considering I feel that the entire additive market is snake oil it's refreshing to find a manufacturer that actually makes products that work.
Nothing beats fixing a leak properly however if a person can find a product that can help the problem til there's money to fix it right then it's a smart move.
And motor oil saver contains boron too which helps the oils tbn,and iirc from the emails I exchanged with liqui-moly the motor oil saver contains some di-ester as the carrier,which is interesting in itself.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: Marco620

Liqui-moly products are the only additives I will spend money on. Their products work as advertised,period.
Considering I feel that the entire additive market is snake oil it's refreshing to find a manufacturer that actually makes products that work.
Nothing beats fixing a leak properly however if a person can find a product that can help the problem til there's money to fix it right then it's a smart move.
And motor oil saver contains boron too which helps the oils tbn,and iirc from the emails I exchanged with liqui-moly the motor oil saver contains some di-ester as the carrier,which is interesting in itself.

Nice, I agree with you.

My cousin had a look see under my dads car this morning. The oil pan and everything else near it is DRY! There are no signs of oil anywhere.
As I stated before, I am not sure which of the 2 lubricants helped the most in stopping this leak, but I can say I am now a fan of both VML and Lubro Moly.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Have had good results with ATP AT-205 Re-Seal Stops Leaks and Lubro Moly Motor Oil Saver.

I found somthing I think is better then ATP 205 Re-seal and is very easy to find and is cheaper.

Blue Devil Rear Main seal Repair.

or

Blue Devil Oil Stop Leak Repair.

ATP 205 does work..... but I hate having to order it... and Blue Devil is clear and basically looks the same and is easy to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back