Need "Expert" Advice or Opinion ACEA Dillema

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bigjl
Yawn.....

Do you read other people's posts or just make things up?

The engine is made and was engineered in the UK which means that the opinion of the people who made it will not be in the US.

In the UK I have only seen two oils specified for for the Jaguar/Land Rover 5.0 V8 engines.

That is Motul Specific 925 B which is a 5w20 A5/B5 low HTHS (2.6) oil.

The other is the Castrol Magnatec Professional 5w20 which is apparently the one that is dyed a different colour to the norm, I say apparently as it is as rare as hens teeth and only a small number of cars use it, they are all new or nearly new models so still under manufacturers warranty, so there is little point in stocking the oil as most will be getting dealer serviced, under EU regs you can use any VAT registered Garage and still have your warranty intact, but in practice only people who are tight or stupid do so as yes your warranty is intact, but you affect your vehicle residuals unless you are going to keep the vehicle for many years.

I would listen to what the US Mobil site says when they start building the engine.

But they don't, Jaguar Land Rover does. And unless I am very much mistaken they build it in the UK. The engine is not changed for the US, though the V8 is only supercharged over here, not sure if they have an NA or supercharged version for the US market.

I think you just think the only opinion that is correct is a US or Canadian opinion.

That is a sad state of affairs really isn't it.

Remember none of us but the OP has read the owners manual.

A dealer will recommend what he has on the shelf.

But the specs required are very specific, low HTHS, full synth, 5w20 A5/B5.

A rare spec in Europe so not exactly common in the US I would have thought.

My Volvo handbook recommends Castrol but doesn't specify it over all others, recent Ford handbooks have a little sheet in them with a recommendation to use Castrol products.

The only reason I can see Jag would say only use Castrol was due to lack of supply of the very specific oil needed for this engine and wanting to prevent "knowledgable" owners putting 5w20 Dino in there be a use they think it is the same.

If that means Jaguar have to provide the oil for free it also goes a long way to explain why the US Economy tanked and took the rest of the world with it.

That is the kind of regulation that only an imbecile would introduce.

Funny how Europe was being slagged off for using "thick" oils and now the issue is using "thin" oils.

Maybe MMO and some Kreen would be good enough, after all what does Johnny foreigner know.

Just to add the spec in the UK is 925 B which is backwards compatible with 925 A but not the same.

I shall add again the only oils I have found that meet the specs given are Castrol and Motul Specific 925B, both fine oils I have no doubt.

So what is the issue?

Price or lack of availability?

If you buy a car that is a little bit better than the average car and not cheap why baulk at the price and availability of the quality lubricants that will keep it healthy and running well for many years.

Phew that was a long post! How ironic it started with "Yawn".

Garak, kudos to you for being so patient and diplomatic with him. There was nothing in your post that justified the way he responded to you. As his post is so long, I thought it worth quoting a part that others may have missed:

If that means Jaguar have to provide the oil for free it also goes a long way to explain why the US Economy tanked and took the rest of the world with it.

That is the kind of regulation that only an imbecile would introduce.

Funny how Europe was being slagged off for using "thick" oils and now the issue is using "thin" oils.

Maybe MMO and some Kreen would be good enough, after all what does Johnny foreigner know.

Agreed. I don't like additives, and up here in Canada, I have never seen Kreen or MMO on the shelf. I have no problem with the fact that different lubes are used in North America than in Europe or Australia. I don't care if it calls for 20w-50 in GB, straight 50 in Australia, 0w-40 in Germany, or 0w-20 here. I don't care for the jingoism whatsoever. Europe and Australia have used thick grades without issue for years. North America and Japan have used thin grades without issue for years. What does that prove? If you keep anything resembling a sensible lube in an average engine, you're not going to have issues. If you follow the specifications, wherever you are, that's an even safer bet.

The thick/thin argument is irrelevant. I recommended M1 5w-20, and I've never touched a 20 grade in my life.
wink.gif

The OP wanted to fulfil warranty requirements here in North America, and that involves following the listed specification in the North American manual (and it seems it's the same spec all over for the vehicle). Whether or not Jaguar is concerned about people using conventional for unreasonably long OCIs is immaterial. Follow the specification. The M1 meets the specification at half the price. What more could one want?

That's why I don't understand anyone who recommends relying on the oil manufacturer's website in preference to the car manufacturer's vehicle manual or subsequent update.

I'm currently dealing with the aftermath of a shop that relied on the coolant recommendation from an online parts retailer and put the wrong coolant into a friends vehicle.

Well, some sites are pretty good. I have a lot of faith in the Amsoil site. Even in this obscure case, they listed the correct specification and viscosity.

Coolant, though, is a real minefield at times.

Sure some sites are good, but what they are doing is displaying information that has at some point gone through a manual process to collect.

We should all understand enough about humans and data quality to realize why the second hand source is more risky than the first hand source.

And why go to the Castrol UK site I have no idea.

Originally Posted By: S65AMG
Sure some sites are good, but what they are doing is displaying information that has at some point gone through a manual process to collect.

We should all understand enough about humans and data quality to realize why the second hand source is more risky than the first hand source.

And why go to the Castrol UK site I have no idea.

The reason for checking engine type specific oil recommendations from the major brand engine oil web sites in the UK or Germany is that they will give you the correct advice in oil type and viscosity terms. Otherwise all you get in the US is a CAFE biased story from both manufacturer and US engine oil supplier, because they have to agree with the main dealership or manufacturer.
It might well be that the oils listed are the same 20 grades for some Ford engines, but at least you will know the truth of what Ford think rather than what the bean counters have published in the US. Obviously some of the EU listed oils are not available in the US, so you then have to check the US web site and remember that an HC synthetic or synthetic technology oil in Germany will be called a full synthetic in the US.
For some vehicles it is also possible to find a copy of the EU owners manual in Google that will list the full list of temperature vs oil grade info. That page has been deleted from many US manuals and just replaced with a one size fits all quote.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Well, some sites are pretty good. I have a lot of faith in the Amsoil site. Even in this obscure case, they listed the correct specification and viscosity.

Coolant, though, is a real minefield at times.

+1 for Amsoil's site. They even quote what the manual reads like part number or "use only..." this brand or OEM brand and then they give you their alternative. It's good to know Amsoil knows all that before they recommend their own product.
It's one of the best third party oil recommendation you can get.
Not to mention sump capacity and torque values they give you.

Originally Posted By: Swissdieselfan
It might well be that the oils listed are the same 20 grades for some Ford engines, but at least you will know the truth of what Ford think rather than what the bean counters have published in the US.

In the OP's position, it's quite likely that the grade recommendation is the same throughout the world. After all, the Ford numbered specification appears to be the same all over, and that number seems to be unique to 20 grades.

@tudorart: Yep, it's definitely one of the best out there. In this case, particularly, they even beat out the oil companies' sites, particularly Castrol's mess.
wink.gif

Just had a look at the Castrol oil finder and it does say REFER TO DEALER for oil type. That often means the dealers are using a special order Edge that is not available to the public OR the dealers are making user specific oil recommendations based on an OLM data log that will give some idea on how the car is driven. Inner city granny use might result in an 0/20 rec with boy racer data resulting in an Edge 0/40 recommendation. Outside chance they have not finished testing the new engine.

Originally Posted By: Swissdieselfan
Just had a look at the Castrol oil finder and it does say REFER TO DEALER for oil type. That often means the dealers are using a special order Edge that is not available to the public OR the dealers are making user specific oil recommendations based on an OLM data log that will give some idea on how the car is driven. Inner city granny use might result in an 0/20 rec with boy racer data resulting in an Edge 0/40 recommendation. Outside chance they have not finished testing the new engine.

Boy racer,moo oil
Skyship,you aren't even trying to hide who you are. Why did you even come back. You add nothing but absurdity to a conversation and with any luck the mods will ban you again,please

Originally Posted By: Garak
In this case, as my research has shown, it's most likely because the only Castrol oil that meets the specifications isn't available through normal retail channels.

BMW pulled a similar trick to sell their own label oil. They used a version of Edge not available to the public and sold it under their own label. I think they have now changed to giving a recommendation for certain oils as their own did not sell too well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Coprolite
bigjl, do I need to elaborate on Garak's and Overkill's posts? Why do you contend that my comment makes no rational sense?

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
If it MUST use the specified oil, they MUST provide it for free, no? Sounds like scare tactics to me.

Are you being serious?

Your comment is the same as I have read on Bitog before and makes no rational sense.

It shouldn't need explaining.

Anybody with a semblance of common sense can see that, surely?

Jaguar say what product they want to be in the engine and to what specs it needs to meet, oil companies produce the product.

Is it Jaguar fault that lots of oil manuafacturers don't see fit to produce an oil for it?

To expect it for free due to this is madness.

If that is what consumer law dictates in the US then it is no wonder the financial crisis occurred.

Anybody can see that giving stuff away for free is not a good way to run an economy.

Unless you are North Korea or China I suppose.

To get back to the oil spec, 925 A is now an outdated oil spec and has been superseded by 925 B.

I had initially thought that the A and B bit was to do with petrol or Diesel engines like Acea, but I found that it isn't after looking into Motul and Castrol oils for this specific vehicle.

The oil for the 5.0 is 925 B not A and Millers and Mobil in Europe don't have an oil that meets the specs.

Bigjl,

The point of the observation is that no manufacturers that sell cars in the US specify a specific brand of oil due to the law, only a specific certification which any oil company can produce and sell. This eliminates monopoly and gouging. I wouldn't be surprised if a similar set of laws are in place in the UK/EU. It is all about consumer protection, not free stuff or ruining an economy. However, if you believe half of the ludicrous statements you made in your last post, this post will fall on deaf ears.

Well Castrol might not list this 2012 Jag, but the Germans do:

Liqui Moly oil finder
5/20 TDS:
LM special 5/20

That lists 2 oils, Lightlauf Special 5/20 and Longtime High Tech 5/30. The Germans are never wrong and the LM oil finder is the best one around, BUT their 5/20 is the real McCoy not some cheap Walmart special, so I would not use just any off the shelf 5/20.
Having seen LM list a 5/20 this does confirm the OEM spec in the US is correct and not CAFE related etc, so using the OEM approved oil would be a good move. The LM 5/20 says it is a Ford 925A spec and it might be that spec is out of date, so best check with the dealer in case Jaguar changed their minds.
The Mobil oil finder also says refer to dealer, so this is a strange oil spec for both Castrol and Mobil not to list an oil. I wonder what design defect has resulted in such a fussy engine!

Last edited:

It shouldn't need explaining.

Anybody with a semblance of common sense can see that, surely?

Jaguar say what product they want to be in the engine and to what specs it needs to meet, oil companies produce the product.

Is it Jaguar fault that lots of oil manuafacturers don't see fit to produce an oil for it?

To expect it for free due to this is madness.

If that is what consumer law dictates in the US then it is no wonder the financial crisis occurred.

Anybody can see that giving stuff away for free is not a good way to run an economy.

You aren't quite following here. OEM's can demand a person use an oil that meets a given spec or has a specific approval. That's a reasonable requirement. However, an auto manufacturer cannot require you to use their specific brand of oil. IE, BMW asks that you use their 5w-30, but require you to use an oil meeting LL-01 for example. If they required you to use only BMW 5w-30, they would have to supply it for free. This is covered in the Magnusson Moss act.

Quote:

To get back to the oil spec, 925 A is now an outdated oil spec and has been superseded by 925 B.

I had initially thought that the A and B bit was to do with petrol or Diesel engines like Acea, but I found that it isn't after looking into Motul and Castrol oils for this specific vehicle.

The oil for the 5.0 is 925 B not A and Millers and Mobil in Europe don't have an oil that meets the specs.

It only matters what is in the owners manual. If it requires 925A, then he is fine to use any of the oils meeting that spec. I know that the availability of 5w-20 lubricants is somewhat limited in Europe and that Mobil doesn't make a suitable product for sale in the UK at this time.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

I know that the availability of 5w-20 lubricants is somewhat limited in Europe.

I think it will be changed in nearest future. EU rules will require 95 g/ km of CO2 emission in 2020. OEMs will pay 30 Euro/ 1 gramm over 95 per car. If you calculate current emission (about 130 g/km) for 2020 you get several billion Euro annually for each OEM
So Fuel Economy will be more and more important issue

That wasn't the issue. The issue was that the dealership was telling him he must use their oil only, not anyone else's, easy or hard to find. The Act is in place to address that specific type of behaviour. The dealer either doesn't know any better, which is inexcusable, or was lying, which is also inexcusable. If it were me, I'd intentionally buy elsewhere, and perhaps complain up the line, and even to the relevant state and federal authorities.

...Millers and Mobil in Europe don't have an oil that meets the specs.

The OP is in Texas, and I would wager a very, very large amount of money that Mobil 1 5w-20 is very easy to find there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back