ACEA A3/B4 when manufacturer recommends RN 17

Greeting from Greece. This is my first post.

I have recently purchased a Renault Captur 140Hp edc petrol and i think i screwed up because, without checking the manual, i have ordered and received some Ravenol engine oil ( https://www.ravenol-shop.de/motoroel/5w-30/ravenol-rsp-5w30-racing) with ACEA A3/B4 spec.

The car's manual recommends 5W-30 RN 17, which, when i googled, leads to a specific Castrol oil.

My question is, should the Ravenol oil i have purchased, be used with my car or it should be avoided at all costs.

Thanks in advance

Do you have GPF?

This LM toptec 4410 with RN 17 is ACEA C3 and MB226.52 that's what I would use. And no its not a specific castrol oil.

Last edited:
Do you have GPF?

This LM toptec 4410 with RN 17 is ACEA C3 and MB226.52 that's what I would use. And no its not a specific castrol oil.

From the manual i can see that the car has GPF and a 3 way catalytic converter.

My question is, should the Ravenol oil i have purchased, be used with my car or it should be avoided at all costs.

The oil you have is an excellent one. Technically, there is only a single reason not to use it - in case of very high oil consumption, the GPF may fail a bit earlier than it would with a C3 /RN17 oil as the RSP has a higher content of sulphated ash. As long as the oil consumption is low the difference is negligible.

Is the car still in warranty period? Does it consume oil excessively? If not, then you will be perfectly fine.

In the past, Renault pushed crazy-long oil change intervals. The RN17, as well as RN0710, indicated very high oxidation stability, which the Ravenol RSP meets. Anyway, if you want to keep the car longer, I would shorten the OCI to 50% of what Renault recommends.

The oil you have is an excellent one. Technically, there is only a single reason not to use it - in case of very high oil consumption, the GPF may fail a bit earlier than it would with a C3 /RN17 oil as the RSP has a higher content of sulphated ash. As long as the oil consumption is low the difference is negligible.

Is the car still in warranty period? Does it consume oil excessively? If not, then you will be perfectly fine.

In the past, Renault pushed crazy-long oil change intervals. The RN17, as well as RN0710, indicated very high oxidation stability, which the Ravenol RSP meets. Anyway, if you want to keep the car longer, I would shorten the OCI to 50% of what Renault recommends.
The car is new. Purchased on late August 2023 and travelled 1K kms.

Excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by "shorten the OCI to 50% of what Renault recommends?

Also i just read the label and the Ravenol has approval for Renault RN0700/RN0710.

Mercedes uses renault engines in some cars, and took over the renault specs: 226.52 is likely just that, without looking it up. There would not be a benefit of one over the other.

Probably correct, Lubrizol does not list 226.52 in comparison chart so thats just what I would do to try to comply with manufacturer recommendations if RN17 is unobtanium.
MB specs 229.51 as top up oil if RN/226.52 is not available. So basically normal C3 oils

The car is new. Purchased on late August 2023 and travelled 1K kms.

Excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by "shorten the OCI to 50% of what Renault recommends?

Also i just read the label and the Ravenol has approval for Renault RN0700/RN0710.
Check the owner's manual to see at what kms intervals the oil and filter need to be changed. Then, divide that by 2 to determine your oil change interval. If the manual isn't specific, see if there's an indicator that tells you how many kms are until the next oil change.

In the past Renault advertised OCIs upto 50 000 km, therefore the RN oils had to have excellent oxidation stability - quite often truly synthetic (PAO) based oils that also carried some other rather demanding euro-approvals.

In the user manual, you should be able to find instructions on the Oil Change Interval (OCI).
For Captur II TCe 140 PF (2020 -2024 ) my sources show something like "flexible up to 30 000 km/24 months".

The car has flexible intervals, which means that at some moment the car will instruct you to go for an oil change. My recommendation was to change the oil much sooner than Renault recommends (the car asks for it) as in some cases at the "recommended moment" the oil looks more like grease than engine oil. As a result, once the warranty is over, the car will start to consume oil in excessive amounts and the repair will be very expensive.

There is a reason why Japanese automakers recommend 15,000 km/12 months. Honda once extended the interval to 20,000 km/12 months (engine R18A2) and just a few years later they went back to 15,000 km/12 months (engine R18Z4, which was just a minor innovation of R18A2).
If you have truly quality long-life oil (as indicated by the RN017/RN0710) you can go beyond the 12 months, however, no miracles can prevent oil degradation related to the combustion process, therefore, I would recommend changing the oil no later than after approx 10 000 - 15 000 km, especially if you short trip the car.

Anyway, next time try to get this one:

Plenty of RN17 oils around.

These are the ones listed on OpieOils

Not saying you need to buy from them but it does show the various brands you can buy that meet that spec

In the past Renault advertised OCIs upto 50 000 km, therefore the RN oils had to have excellent oxidation stability - quite often truly synthetic (PAO) based oils that also carried some other rather demanding euro-approvals.

In the user manual, you should be able to find instructions on the Oil Change Interval (OCI).
For Captur II TCe 140 PF (2020 -2024 ) my sources show something like "flexible up to 30 000 km/24 months".

The car has flexible intervals, which means that at some moment the car will instruct you to go for an oil change. My recommendation was to change the oil much sooner than Renault recommends (the car asks for it) as in some cases at the "recommended moment" the oil looks more like grease than engine oil. As a result, once the warranty is over, the car will start to consume oil in excessive amounts and the repair will be very expensive.

There is a reason why Japanese automakers recommend 15,000 km/12 months. Honda once extended the interval to 20,000 km/12 months (engine R18A2) and just a few years later they went back to 15,000 km/12 months (engine R18Z4, which was just a minor innovation of R18A2).
If you have truly quality long-life oil (as indicated by the RN017/RN0710) you can go beyond the 12 months, however, no miracles can prevent oil degradation related to the combustion process, therefore, I would recommend changing the oil no later than after approx 10 000 - 15 000 km, especially if you short trip the car.

Anyway, next time try to get this one:

Renault also used to list a Severe Service OCI.

Not sure if they still do.

Have never seen an OCI as high as 50k km on Renault.

Our little 2017 Smart For Four (Renault Twingo in a fancy suit) has the 0.9 turbo Renault engine and the OCI was 12500 miles or 1 year

So basically, if i use the oil i got (Ravenol ACEA A3/B4) only once and then use RN 17 every time i change oils, then that one time wont damage the engine. Is that right?

Back