My Take on the New 2022 WRX

But it does compete.

In fact, it’s more than just competitive, and always has been.

Performance-wise, it‘s way above its nearest competitors (Civic Si @ 200 HP and GTI @ 228 HP). Plus, it has AWD.

Ive always believed that the WRX offers the most performance for the money of anything that’s close, price-wise.

And if you narrow it down to non-FWD cars, it’s the only game in town, really. You need to go up to something like a Golf R, at $44,000 starting, or, far more than that for a BMW.

I wish there was such a thing as a semi-affordable, RWD sports sedan.
Now it's got to compete with the mazda 3, as well. Far nicer car, just a hair slower. Mainly thiugh, Injust can't see buying a wrx as slow as it is. Thats my #1 issue. It never evolved past its 90s and early 2000s roots.

Now it's got to compete with the mazda 3, as well. Far nicer car, just a hair slower. Mainly thiugh, Injust can't see buying a wrx as slow as it is. Thats my #1 issue. It never evolved past its 90s and early 2000s roots.

The manual mazda 3 has 155 or 186 hp? What am I missing? not being sarcastic.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think you can buy the Mazda 3 turbo with a manual transmission.

And that fact alone rules it out from ever being considered by a lot of enthusiasts, including me.

Most people looking at WRXs aren’t considering the Mazda 3, for that reason, and many other reasons.

The manual take rate for the WRX is one of the highest of any car. And, actually, its main competitors, the Si and the GTI, also have a good portion of their buyers choose the stick.

As far as the WRX’s acceleration…the old version has already been tested at as low as high 4-second range by, Car & Driver, I believe, several years ago (admittedly, probably a drivetrain-abusing launch). And non-clutch-dump 0-60 runs are in the mid-5 range. The new version will almost assuredly be quicker… I’m not sure how fast you’re looking for it to be in the $30-grand-and-under price bracket??

I punched well above my weight with my 2016, running away from M3’s with regularity out at Deal’s Gap in the Smoky Mountains.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think you can buy the Mazda 3 turbo with a manual transmission.

And that fact alone rules it out from ever being considered by a lot of enthusiasts, including me.

Most people looking at WRXs aren’t considering the Mazda 3, for that reason, and many other reasons.

The manual take rate for the WRX is one of the highest of any car. And, actually, its main competitors, the Si and the GTI, also have a good portion of their buyers choose the stick.

As far as the WRX’s acceleration…the old version has already been tested at as low as high 4-second range by, Car & Driver, I believe, several years ago (admittedly, probably a drivetrain-abusing launch). And non-clutch-dump 0-60 runs are in the mid-5 range. The new version will almost assuredly be quicker… I’m not sure how fast you’re looking for it to be in the $30-grand-and-under price bracket??

I punched well above my weight with my 2016, running away from M3’s with regularity out at Deal’s Gap in the Smoky Mountains.
Yeah, until subaru detuned them because of weak engines. Now the best C&D can get is a low 5 second 0-60, and a 5-60 in the 7 second range,lol!
Yes, you're right about the manual, though.
Like I say, its just too slow imo.

Noone who actually owns the car abuses them like this, regarding the launch. 5-60 is a much more realistic display of daily performance, as is trap speed.
Screenshot_20210910-224737_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I dont know that they were ever de-tuned, as you claim.

As a matter of fact, you’re the first person I’ve heard claim that.

Do you have some links to dyno numbers proving that?

You’re also the only person I ever hear say that the WRX is “slow”. Slow, compared to what? It destroys its 2 closest competitors, the GTI and Si, in performance.

AFAIK they’ve been 268/258 from 2015-2021.

Well. Anyway. It’ll be interesting to see the specs & measured performance numbers of the new 2022 WRX.

So what's the limiting factor here on only making 271hp? Sounds to me like Subaru needs to just throw in the towel on H4 engines and move on. That's 15 year old V6 Camry horsepower.

Reactions: Ws6
I dont know that they were ever de-tuned, as you claim.

As a matter of fact, you’re the first person I’ve heard claim that.

Do you have some links to dyno numbers proving that?

You’re also the only person I ever hear say that the WRX is “slow”. Slow, compared to what? It destroys its 2 closest competitors, the GTI and Si, in performance.

AFAIK they’ve been 268/258 from 2015-2021.

Well. Anyway. It’ll be interesting to see the specs & measured performance numbers of the new 2022 WRX.
Its kindof a quiet thing, but after the valve spring debacle, the wrx suddenly got significantly slower...I am just guessing, but the new wrx and sti after 2017 are all slower. Every single test you can find, the older same gen cars stomp them.

Slow compared to what it costs. Its a sporty car that a v6 mustang will walk. Just...oof. nevermind a 2.0 Honda accord. I mean, my rav 4 will be a good run for it, lol! I know its not all about speed, but then neither is a rav 4 or Acford, and yet....oh, and the abysnal mpg....scooby needs to just get on with engine development.

So what's the limiting factor here on only making 271hp? Sounds to me like Subaru needs to just throw in the towel on H4 engines and move on. That's 15 year old V6 Camry horsepower.
I think it's a calculated move on Subaru's part.

To do what, you ask? Well, I think they're holding out HP for future model updates. Why would they go ahead and make it 300 HP right out of the gate on a new model, when they can do incremental power increases, over a 5-6 year model life, and use that to generate more sales?

We know that this engine's displacement can easily support quite a bit more horsepower and torque. And, COBB and other Subaru performance aftermarket folks will happily step up and offer that. And, the fact that this engine is under-tuned from the factory will mean you'll be able to get big gains with very limited bolt-ons. Reliably.

The last WRX was barely changed over a 6-year model life. Why? Because it sold very, very well. There was no need for them to do anything to it.

Enthusiasts online are a vocal group, and are not at all shy with criticism. But there aren't very many people talking about the fact that this car is, really, in a class by itself. Even its 2 closest competitors, price-wise, the Civic Si (205 HP for 2020 model) (actually not even made for 2021, but the 2020 model was $25,200 MSRP), and the VW GTI (228 HP) ($28,695), are front-wheel drive only, and don't hold a candle to even the last gen WRX, performance-wise.

It is the only sports sedan available anywhere near its price point that is not front-wheel drive, and which offers a manual transmission. The 2021 model starting MSRP is $27,495, which handily undercuts the GTI, perhaps its closest natural near-peer, and easily out-guns it, performance-wise. That makes it a tremendous value.

So, please - tell me again why Subaru would dramatically increase engine power?

You want a more powerful sports sedan? You can get one. Just pony up the $37,245 for a 2021 STi, or $44,640 for a 2022 Golf R!

I think it's a calculated move on Subaru's part.

To do what, you ask? Well, I think they're holding out HP for future model updates. Why would they go ahead and make it 300 HP right out of the gate on a new model, when they can do incremental power increases, over a 5-6 year model life, and use that to generate more sales?

We know that this engine's displacement can easily support quite a bit more horsepower and torque. And, COBB and other Subaru performance aftermarket folks will happily step up and offer that. And, the fact that this engine is under-tuned from the factory will mean you'll be able to get big gains with very limited bolt-ons. Reliably.

The last WRX was barely changed over a 6-year model life. Why? Because it sold very, very well. There was no need for them to do anything to it.

Enthusiasts online are a vocal group, and are not at all shy with criticism. But there aren't very many people talking about the fact that this car is, really, in a class by itself. Even its 2 closest competitors, price-wise, the Civic Si (205 HP for 2020 model) (actually not even made for 2021, but the 2020 model was $25,200 MSRP), and the VW GTI (228 HP) ($28,695), are front-wheel drive only, and don't hold a candle to even the last gen WRX, performance-wise.

It is the only sports sedan available anywhere near its price point that is not front-wheel drive, and which offers a manual transmission. The 2021 model starting MSRP is $27,495, which handily undercuts the GTI, perhaps its closest natural near-peer, and easily out-guns it, performance-wise. That makes it a tremendous value.

So, please - tell me again why Subaru would dramatically increase engine power?

You want a more powerful sports sedan? You can get one. Just pony up the $37,245 for a 2021 STi, or $44,640 for a 2022 Golf R!
Why should they improve it? Because when I gap one in my rav4, it will sting. Also, dude....
This is 2021 base model mustangs broke the three hundo mark years ago.

Its kindof a quiet thing, but after the valve spring debacle, the wrx suddenly got significantly slower...I am just guessing, but the new wrx and sti after 2017 are all slower. Every single test you can find, the older same gen cars stomp them.

Slow compared to what it costs. Its a sporty car that a v6 mustang will walk. Just...oof. nevermind a 2.0 Honda accord. I mean, my rav 4 will be a good run for it, lol! I know its not all about speed, but then neither is a rav 4 or Acford, and yet....oh, and the abysnal mpg....scooby needs to just get on with engine development.

Your Rav4 will be a good run for it? Against a WRX? Now that's funny!

When you "gap one" with your Rav4???
🤣

The hybrid Rav4 is nice, and quick, I grant you that, but come on, you can't be serious here.

Last edited:
Your Rav4 will be a good run for it? Against a WRX? Now that's funny!
It is funny. And pathetic. Maybe if they drop the clutch from redline they can keep up off the line, then bye bye. From a roll? Id crush that scooby. In a rav4. Like you said, funny.
Screenshot_20210911-051324_Chrome.jpg

Why should they improve it? Because when I gap one in my rav4, it will sting. Also, dude....
This is 2021 base model mustangs broke the three hundo mark years ago.
Bro. There you go again.

Every thread about a WRX, you come in with these apples-to-oranges comparisons. Talking about your CX-5 crossover, or a RAV-4, will beat a WRX.

There are a lot of trucks, SUVs, and cars that will beat a WRX in 0-60 acceleration. And none are relevant. Why? Because they're not in the same class of vehicle, even.

A Mustang? It's not a sports sedan. Most people aren't cross-shopping a WRX with a Mustang, because people who are looking at the WRX need 4 doors. Besides that, the 2 cars have comparable performance.

A RAV4 Prime? It's a hybrid CUV with handling that doesn't compare to a sports sedan, and starts at $42,000+.

Give it a rest, man.

Like I said, the R4h is quick but you just can't compare a dedicated AWD performance oriented sedan to a Rav4.

Where are the performance specs for the '22 WRX? I guarantee you they are significantly faster than the R4h. Besides, there's a LOT more to performance than 0-60 and 5-60.

I'm definitely not a fan of the styling but a spade is a spade.

I can't believe this is even an argument. 🤦

Like I said, the R4h is quick but you just can't compare a dedicated AWD performance oriented sedan to a Rav4.

Where are the performance specs for the '22 WRX? I guarantee you they are significantly faster than the R4h. Besides, there's a LOT more to performance than 0-60 and 5-60.

I'm definitely not a fan of the styling but a spade is a spade.
Well, we'll just have to see what 2022 brings, but yes you can compare them when you ghetto lane that bogged down scooby or crush it from a freeway roll, lol!

Bro. There you go again.

Every thread about a WRX, you come in with these apples-to-oranges comparisons. Talking about your CX-5 crossover, or a RAV-4, will beat a WRX.

There are a lot of trucks, SUVs, and cars that will beat a WRX in 0-60 acceleration. And none are relevant. Why? Because they're not in the same class of vehicle, even.

A Mustang? It's not a sports sedan. Most people aren't cross-shopping a WRX with a Mustang, because people who are looking at the WRX need 4 doors. Besides that, the 2 cars have comparable performance.

A RAV4 Prime? It's a hybrid CUV with handling that doesn't compare to a sports sedan, and starts at $42,000+.

Give it a rest, man.
Thing is, I shouldnt be able to compare them ad I do. But I can. Because subaru won't put an engine in it. They should.

You cant compare the wrx to a civic either. It gets way better mpg. And the GTI has a way nicer interior. But here we are....my point is, the wrx has, and looks like it still will be, far to slow for everything else about it.

Well, we'll just have to see what 2022 brings, but yes you can compare them when you ghetto lane that bogged down scooby or crush it from a freeway roll, lol!

I really like the R4h but again, apples to oranges.

"when you ghetto lane that bogged down scooby or crush it from a freeway roll, lol!" -Ws6

Ok

"when you ghetto lane that bogged down scooby or crush it from a freeway roll, lol!"

Ok
Its not hard. Scooby slow. 7+ seconds 5-60. 97mph trap speed. Its not even a fair fight. The fsct that you cant accept this fact list underscores just how absurdly underpowered it really is.

OK, a 2021 GTI goes 5-60 mph (rolling start) in 6.8 seconds, and its standing start 0-60 is a half second slower than the WRX, and 1/4-mile is slower.

All for a more expensive price.

Again, as I’ve said, the WRX is really in a class by itself. And has proven to be more than competitive.

If you don’t think it’s fast enough, that’s your opinion. You don’t have to buy one.

It is funny. And pathetic. Maybe if they drop the clutch from redline they can keep up off the line, then bye bye. From a roll? Id crush that scooby. In a rav4. Like you said, funny. View attachment 70703
Thing is regardless of acceleration with some models a Rav4 is what I'd consider sloppy to drive as in way too much body roll, not aggressive enough on steering, etc. My daughter has a quite nice Rav4, something like an XS series (will look closely next chance I see it) and it's a nicely made ride with good build quality, but seriously falls short in terms of any real performance.

Look at the listed curb weight of your post... lead sled kinda sums that up IMBHO.

Thing is regardless of acceleration with some models a Rav4 is what I'd consider sloppy to drive as in way too much body roll, not aggressive enough on steering, etc. My daughter has a quite nice Rav4, something like an XS series (will look closely next chance I see it) and it's a nicely made ride with good build quality, but seriously falls short in terms of any real performance.

Look at the listed curb weight of your post... lead sled kinda sums that up IMBHO.
Yes, and even it was given more gusto for the go. Thats exactly my point. 271hp would be fine...20 years ago.

Back