Beater: Should I buy this car?

Why are you only looking on Craigslist? There are 5x more private party sales on FBM, at least.

Are you ethically opposed to Facebook? It's a tool for buying stuff even if you don't want to use the "social" part. And you could use a fake name... my cousin's husband was "Pop Corn" for a while.

Craigslist around here is dead. Offer Up is another option.

I have had steady success with "dead" craigslist. The five dollar per vehicle for sale posting weeds out a lot of noise and bad players.

I listed my one owner 2007 f350 on Facebook and received all crazy responses. After a month of crazy Facebook responses, I listed the truck on Seattle Craigslist. The truck sold same day at full price off of Craigslist.

Craigslist may have significantly more legitimate sellers of vehicles than Facebook.

Last edited:
Still worth looking at. I sold my aunt’s ProMaster camper van last year on Craigslist. Had some crappy leads but on people on FB Marketplace so I put it on Craigslist, 30 min later I got an email from some old people in New Mexico, scheduled a date to meet them in Wilcox and sold it.

Still worth looking at. I sold my aunt’s ProMaster camper van last year on Craigslist. Had some crappy leads but on people on FB Marketplace so I put it on Craigslist, 30 min later I got an email from some old people in New Mexico, scheduled a date to meet them in Wilcox and sold it.

The last few things I've posted on CL have received zero replies, sold on Offer Up. I created a FB account to try FB Marketplace, never posted anything or replied to anyone and got banned. 🤷‍♂️

Fellas, the dealership called me, saying they’re matching my purchase price on the solara. $2300 for the xD with 164k miles and 1 owner. Should I pivot and get this instead? Either way I am buying a car today!

Sounds like they want the xD gone. And are desperate, maybe?

You've driven the Solara, but did you drive this? You might be able to get it for less if you go in--and threaten to walk, after find the smoking gun (my guess, they can't move it, due to the paint). Or not, you could just try walking. If it's not awful, play the game, you can always call back and say you'll take it, if they let you walk off the lot with that $2,300 number firm.

I'm thinking 50/50, you might get it for $2k plus maybe a bogus fee.

Very nice. Easy brake job and possible a DIY bearing. Have the roof and hood resprayed at a budget body shop or DIY. Maybe even vinyl wrap it, faux carbon fiber? :unsure::ROFLMAO:

I’d stick with the Solara just bc it’s a nicer vehicle for the driving you will be doing.

Got it! Sorry Solara fans, decided to take a dip into Scion. I ultimately decided on the Scion because

+ 50,000 less miles
+ 10 years newer
+ one owner

I believe I will get more useful commuter years out of the xD.

Dealership got me out the door for $2450, but that includes taxes, so $2,300 basically. I do hope that Solara goes to a good owner. Now we’ll see how the xD goes. Here’s some pics. Oh, and it’s a 5 speed, not auto.

IMG_1574.jpeg

IMG_1573.jpeg

IMG_1575.jpeg

IMG_1576.jpeg

IMG_1577.jpeg

IMG_1579.jpeg

Seems like a good deal for these days, especially from a dealer. Brakes, wheel bearing, taillight and fluid changes for a few hundred, then drive it for a while and see how it does. Some new clips or push pins might get the bumper straightened up so you can ditch that tape. Good luck with it.

Reactions: GON
Seems like a good deal for these days, especially from a dealer. Brakes, wheel bearing, taillight and fluid changes for a few hundred, then drive it for a while and see how it does. Some new clips or push pins might get the bumper straightened up so you can ditch that tape. Good luck with it.
I’m glad you like it James Bond. I figured nothing less than an Austin Martin would satisfy.

• Haha
Some new clips or push pins might get the bumper straightened up so you can ditch that tape. Good luck with it.
Toyota (and many other) bumper covers pretty much "snap in" to a receiving piece of plastic that's bolted to the body. If they get wrecked, many of the snaps fail, and the things hang loose. Fix is a new cover, or careful application of "Flex Seal" as seen on TV, LOL.

I have had steady success with "dead" craigslist. The five dollar per vehicle for sale posting weeds out a lot of noise and bad players.

I listed my one owner 2007 f350 on Facebook and received all crazy responses. After a month of crazy Facebook responses, I listed the truck on Seattle Craigslist. The truck sold same day at full price off of Craigslist.

Craigslist may have significantly more legitimate sellers of vehicles than Facebook.

My niece lists parts for me on Facebook, and it never fails: someone on there will see the listing and offer half of your asking price. When rejected, they inevitably say “It’s not worth that, and you’ll never sell it”. Each time they sold for what I wanted. 😜

I still recall the guy who didn’t want to pay a lot for Michelin tires because he “heard they were a cheap Chinese tire”.🤣

Selling my stuff there is a head shaking slog. 🙄😑

My wife rode in it for the first time. She surprisingly approved of the car and liked it. She called it cute and said she was disappointed she couldn’t drive manual transmission because it seemed fun to drive. Maybe this can be my chance to teach her? 🤔

Back