Outrageous Dealer Add-Ons and Fees - When Will They Learn?

That looks like the Toyota website. I remember years ago this was discussed by Toyota. The typical person today does not, nor do they know how, nor are they even allowed on say toll roads, to change a tire for a vehicle. And as such, there's no purpose to including it. But to your point, imho the argument is invalid, if it's available as a cost option....for the first time ever we drove around on a donut for 3 weeks on my wife's GM SUV. As a result, I purchased an OE rim for $70 shipped and a 9/32" Michelin Cross Climate 2 for $87 shipped, and created my own full sized spare to keep at home (it took Costco for the 2nd time, 3 weeks to get a tire replaced under road hazard, there is a reason and someone out there likely knows, like it's treated differently).

p.s. my 2007 BMW has never had a spare nor any jack (unless it was stolen by a dealership, they did steal a tow hook adapter and I believe a spare lug bolt, because most customers don't take their cars to the dealer then check if they stole anything)
So your point is that some OE manufacturers that don't include a spare are charging too much for it, and you are better off sourcing your own full sized spare.

So your point is that some OE manufacturers that don't include a spare are charging too much for it, and you are better off sourcing your own full sized spare.
Not at all. In our case, I don't want to use the compact spare next time. But mfgs. that don't provide a spare at all, are justified. Adding it as an option, is not.

Our 2021 Edge didn't come with a spare. Just a can of foam and a small DC inflator. Now we have a full spare tire on a perfect match OE rim I got from a guy on Ebay. It does take up about 40% of our cargo area but that's something I will have to live with. Up here in the mountains help is not right around the corner and cell service can be non-existent at times. I bought the rim and tire to make a spare because Ford wanted almost $350 for a donut.

Shopping for a new 2024 Odyssey, as we just found out we're expecting our 4th child, and, by the end of the year, we'll have 4 children under 4 years old!

My SOP is to treat the car-buying process as a bid, emailing multiple dealerships to inquire how much they're willing to discount their stock.

Our closest Honda store, Darrell Waltrip Honda in Franklin, has several Odysseys, and every one of them has over $3000 in dealer added garbage, including "LoJack Connect", a $1500 system for locating your car if it's stolen (Apple AirTags are $29), $300 for door cups (clear film under the door handles), $500 for window tint (that much for only the front windows!). And their doc fee is $750!

When will they come to the realization that most people don't want this stuff, and recognize that it's simply a profit-padder for the greedy dealerships? And it just aggravates the customer and creates ill will.

After contacting about a dozen dealerships, I will say that I've found one dealer - Classic Honda out of Galveston, that proudly advertises zero add-ons, and has the lowest price I've found - about 8% off MSRP on a Touring model after local Texas taxes and fees (not including my Tennessee taxes), and a (reasonable for 2024) $150 doc fee.

I guess Tennessee dealers are just extra greedy. I've bought 3 new vehicles since 2007 (2007 Tacoma, 2016 WRX, and 2021 4Runner), and I had to go out of state to find a dealer that would sell for a fair price on all 3 of them. Got the Tacoma and the WRX out of AR (Central Toyota in Jonesboogie and the WRX out of Little Rock), and the 4Runner from Vandergriff out of DFW. And it's looking like that's going to be the case again.

I've had a couple of closer dealers offer discounts of 2-3 grand, but they had a bunch of add-ons that are sinking their offer.

Glad the new vehicle market is softening a bit after the craziness of MSRP and "market adjustments" of 2021 into 2023.

If you're in the market for a vehicle (depending on what it is), don't be fooled into paying markups and paying for silly dealer add-ons that just serve to line the dealer's pockets. Just don't buy from those dealers. EVERYTHING is negotiable, as long as it's not a model that's super in-demand (yes, of course, demand sets price - that goes for anything).
Have you looked at CPO as an option? Alot of dealerships even add extra warranty. Some are. Very lightly used with the initial deprecation out of the way.

I had a similar experience purchasing a Honda CRV Sprt Touring. Most wanted 2-3k in add ONS. Found a dealer that gave it to her for about 2k off MSRP and no add Ons. One dealer wanted to add Propack for $1999.00 which consisted of floor mats, mud guards and wheel locks!!!!

I keep hearing how the corporate offices are cracking down on this as it makes them look bad, yet I'm not seeing much in the way of anything being done.

My Toyota came with an expensive donut spare which I threw out and replaced with a full size spare.

I never understood the concept of not owning a full size spare, but I posted how I made this work on the Rav4 boards and million people chimed in that it was stupid and who needs a spare anyway.

I suppose if you never go more than 20 miles from home it doesn't matter, but I have driven hundreds of miles home on my spare and will never own a car without one unless its my sunday goof off car only.

When will they learn??? When they say no to add ons and walk away...
This will be the only time it ends. However even in 2019 shopping for cars it was clear most dealers were set up for the hard push / extended warranty buying / sub prime borrowing crowd. Weren't interested in selling to anyone else.

My Toyota came with an expensive donut spare which I threw out and replaced with a full size spare.

I never understood the concept of not owning a full size spare, but I posted how I made this work on the Rav4 boards and million people chimed in that it was stupid and who needs a spare anyway.

I suppose if you never go more than 20 miles from home it doesn't matter, but I have driven hundreds of miles home on my spare and will never own a car without one unless its my sunday goof off car only.
My Sunday goof off car has two spares…factory option.. but roads weren’t very good back then…😎
IMG_0746.jpeg

Last edited:
I think his point was that it has the most entertaining powertrain for the minivan class.
The most entertaining minivan had to be the Honda Odyssey that Rutledge Wood drove in top Gear many years ago. Bisimoto made a 1,000 horsepower Honda Odyssey with a 6spd manual transmission.

Back