Thoughts on modern WRX?

I have the opportunity to buy a 21 WRX with the manual transmission in the blue color that I absolutely love! My main question is how are they to own? I have owned an older ej powered Subaru but have little experience with the f series engine. Let me know what you guys think of these cars. 🙂

I have exactly the car you're describing.... Blue '21 6-speed. I still have less than 5000 miles on mine. I like it.... I think the FA engines will prove more durable long-term vs. the EJ engines but I am basing that on every STI owner I've ever personally known needing a new engine at some point, including one at just 19K miles. I chose the regular WRX specifically over the STI just so I could get the FA engine (and saving $10K was nice I will admit). I picked the base model so I could get cloth seats (I hate leather seats) and because I didn't want a sunroof. My only real complaints are the brakes (adequate at best; there is a reason people upgrade to the STI Brembos) and the shifter (it's clunky). It always takes me a bit to get used to the shifter each time I drive it; why they can't make a precise and crisp shifter like, say, every Honda ever made is beyond me. Some people complain about rev hang but I think that seems to be mostly gone by about the 2020 model year or so - compare a 2020 or 2021 vs. a 2015 and you will see the difference. My 2021 is just like the 2022s I have driven.

Mandatory mod list: Enkei wheels, Borla catback exhaust, IAG AOS, moderate window tint, OEM Subaru fog lights, 2" hidden hitch for my bike rack.

MUGz2R.jpg

I have exactly the car you're describing.... Blue '21 6-speed. I still have less than 5000 miles on mine. I like it.... I think the FA engines will prove more durable long-term vs. the EJ engines but I am basing that on every STI owner I've ever personally known needing a new engine at some point, including one at just 19K miles. I chose the regular WRX specifically over the STI just so I could get the FA engine (and saving $10K was nice I will admit). I picked the base model so I could get cloth seats (I hate leather seats) and because I didn't want a sunroof. My only real complaints are the brakes (adequate at best; there is a reason people upgrade to the STI Brembos) and the shifter (it's clunky). It always takes me a bit to get used to the shifter each time I drive it; why they can't make a precise and crisp shifter like, say, every Honda ever made is beyond me. Some people complain about rev hang but I think that seems to be mostly gone by about the 2020 model year or so - compare a 2020 or 2021 vs. a 2015 and you will see the difference. My 2021 is just like the 2022s I have driven.

Mandatory mod list: Enkei wheels, Borla catback exhaust, IAG AOS, moderate window tint, OEM Subaru fog lights, 2" hidden hitch for my bike rack.

MUGz2R.jpg
How do you deal with larger piston surface on Brembo’s and potentially softer pedal? Can you transfer master cylinder from STi? Also, what about brake distribution?

How do you deal with larger piston surface on Brembo’s and potentially softer pedal? Can you transfer master cylinder from STi? Also, what about brake distribution?
Me, specifically? I have no idea..... My brakes are stock.

Me, specifically? I have no idea..... My brakes are stock.
I should have been more specific. Did you research the issue?
I switched on my BMW to Brembo (just because, no issues before) and on BMW there is coding option for performance brakes (Brembo or larger ATE calipers) to adjust brake distribution. Also, trick to deal with softer pedal is master cylinder from M3.
If you decide to go that route, research this issue.

I switched on my BMW to Brembo (just because, no issues before) and on BMW there is coding option for performance brakes (Brembo or larger ATE calipers) to adjust brake distribution. Also, trick to deal with softer pedal is master cylinder from M3.
Excellent advice.

I have a hunch the booster differs between WRX and STI, but I'm not sure about the master. Maybe it does too.

Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but I think most swaps I've seen have been front brakes only. And that would worry me..... Surely that throws the front-rear bias way off, right? Way way off perhaps.

They are cringe, imo. They are for boys to waste their money on with a high interest loan, get pulled over by every cop in town, lose to every Harley/Tesla they try to race, ruin the clutch within 60,000 miles, and sell for a $20,000 loss with “tasteful mods” and a CEL.
LOL There is a certain Youtuber with a WRX and he fits that description exactly. I cringe every time he opens the tool drawer.

They are cringe, imo. They are for boys to waste their money on with a high interest loan, get pulled over by every cop in town, lose to every Harley/Tesla they try to race, ruin the clutch within 60,000 miles, and sell for a $20,000 loss with “tasteful mods” and a CEL.
So, now that you’ve told us all about the shortcomings of youthful males with impulse control issues in any vehicle ever, we’re still waiting to hear about valid issues with today’s WRX. 🙄

I have a hunch the booster differs between WRX and STI, but I'm not sure about the master. Maybe it does too.

Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but I think most swaps I've seen have been front brakes only. And that would worry me..... Surely that throws the front-rear bias way off, right? Way way off perhaps.
So on BMW E90 boosters are same on all US models (not sure about Europe). Difference is MC.
Interestingly, people often put Brembo from F30 335/340 on E90 325/328/330 but keep rear calipers and rotor and they don’t code it! Only if they put Brembo in the back (like I did) or rear from E90 335.
I bet there is discussion about this on Subaru forums.

Back