My mechanic put 20w-50 in my car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: vincent714028
It's a 94 camaro v8. A shadetree mechanic put a used engine with 160000 miles in my car. He filled it with Castrol GTX 20w-50. I think that is too thick and would like to try a thinner oil like 5w-30 since that is what is speced for my car.

I don't want to waste this oil so would it do any harm to leave it in for 3-5000 miles?

20W-50 is probably the last grade of oil I'd use in any engine not on one of my lawnmowers.
The only reason the lawnmowers are getting GTX 20W-50 is that I had some left over from an old Mercedes we had, in which I used it during the summer, per the OM. My BMW specs a 20W-50 for the summer as well, but I don't think it really needs it, so I don't use it.
The old Mercedes would have probably been fine on 10W-40 as well.
Anyway, I'd run the oil 3-4K.
It won't do any harm.
You might then try a 10W-40 and if that works out, move down to a thirty grade oil.
These are tough motors, and 160K isn't all that many miles.
Even if the thing was run hard, as long as it had a reasonable oil changed on reasonable intervals, it will likely be okay.
What car was this engine out of, and why was a 160K car in the salt-free south scrapped so young?
Wrecked?

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
I had to go to something thicker than a XW-30 because it burned and leaked 30 too fast, and it would sometimes stall on a very hot day. With the 20W-50 I do not have to add oil as often, and I do not have to smell the leaking oil burning off, and it does not stall on hot days.
I'm curious how xW-30 made your car stall, but 20W-50 doesn't...?

Know what he means. Its an example of "thinner isn't always better".

He's running very low on oil to the point it became sluggish even stalling. Not everyone wants to be constantly checking their oil, driving around with bottles, measuring, topping off all the time. For them a thicker oil may be better for the engine than running low on thin. I found in those low oil situations thin is unforgiving where thicker oils perform better. Assume its because the thicker viscosity makes up for the lack of oil.

The oil level was not low, but it was facing up hill on a hot day when it stalled each time. With the 20w-50 it just does not satll. PS: the cooling system is well maintained.

Thanks for the great response. I will leave the 20w-50 in for now and add auto-rx to help clean it up. I may go for a 0w-50 instead to help the cold start-up's.

20W-50 is probably just right for a used Chevy engine with 160,000 miles on it. If the engine
has been running good and is quiet, I'd leave it in and even put more in on the next fill.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
20W-50 is probably just right for a used Chevy engine with 160,000 miles on it. If the engine
has been running good and is quiet, I'd leave it in and even put more in on the next fill.

^^2nd. Use GTX 20W50 for the life of the car.

Originally Posted By: clarkflower
Originally Posted By: TallPaul
You can drain out half the oil and save it for next OCI, then refill the half with 5w20. Will end up with somewhere in the upper end of the ballpark of 10w40.

Lot of work to save 4 bucks:)
But if you are oil OCD it's not work, but fun!
crazy2.gif
Also helps if you have a Fumoto drain valve.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Hope he is not trying to cover up loose fitting bearings. But 20w50 should be no problem in Alabama in the summer.

+1

See what the oil pressure is running with the 20w50 and let us know. Check it HOT (after a good 20 mile highway trip) at road speed and at idle. That will help us understand whether 20w50 is well suited for the engine, or that maybe a move down to 10w40 is in order next OCI. If you have the Haynes or Chilton manual see what it lists for spec oil pressure. Also, oil pressure should increase with rpm. If it does anything else, observe and report back.

Originally Posted By: DragRace
It's a 94 camaro v8. A shadetree mechanic put a used engine with 160000 miles in my car. He filled it with Castrol GTX 20w-50. I think that is too thick and would like to try a thinner oil like 5w-30 since that is what is speced for my car.

I don't want to waste this oil so would it do any harm to leave it in for 3-5000 miles?

No reason for that heavy of an oil in that motor,period.

Exactly!

Originally Posted By: lexus114

Exactly!

Feel free to tell that to millions and millions of 20-50 users around the globe. GLWT.

I ran 20w50 year round in a couple of E30 BMWs for many years. Turned over a little slower in the wintertime with freezing temps, but not much. Cars ran great on it!

To the OP: worry not, I'm sure 20w50 is fine in a worn small block Chevy.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Originally Posted By: lexus114

Exactly!

Feel free to tell that to millions and millions of 20-50 users around the globe. GLWT.

I have no problem with that at all.

With the engine warmed at idle I have 20psi, at highway cruise I have 40psi, and at high rpm I have 60psi. When cold, the oil is always at 60psi.

As cheap as Castrol oil is I would dump it. No way I would run an engine of mine on that thick of oil.

With the engine warmed at idle I have 20psi, at highway cruise I have 40psi, and at high rpm I have 60psi. When cold, the oil is always at 60psi.

Then it sounds like that oil is not too bad, as a summer fill, for your engine.

Last edited:
My preview mechanic did that too, and he ALWAY over fill half quart on every customer car, before they came pick it up, he say to me " it make more compression and make engine run litter stronger when they ride it, and they should feel it " :(, he a good mechanic for me, but I told him " please dont do that to my car " .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back