Here's a question for the Oil Gurus

Once a year oil changes... sometimes I may only put 500 to 1500 miles and very seldom 20000 miles a year on my older push rod/flat tappet Corvette.
And 'if' I only put 500 miles I'll change it every 2'nd year.
Using Valvoline Racing 20/50
or
Castrol GTX Classic is a high zinc formula 20/50 providing extreme protection for your hot rod or classic car and high output engines with performance cams.
Think those change intervals are ok?

yes. think this thru... the purpose of the oil is to keep the engine from wearing out.
but chances are you don't run those engines very much,, so they aren't going to wear out.
The oil never gets dirty either.
I bet when yo do run them it is long enough for them to warm up and get hot which dries them out.
then you park them inside for months at a time and they just sit..

and since this is a Corvette, chances are good it is your baby and sits inside and doesn't get hammered unmercifully like a teenage boy would drive it

you will be Ok.

Last edited:
I have several old cars. None of them get 5K miles per year, or whatever interval you change a newer car oil at. They stay inside a temp controlled environment. I change them based on miles, whatever is appropriate for the engine. Your plan is fine assuming the Corvette is stored inside.

For my vehicles, that don't accumulate many miles, my normal interval is 5k miles or one year. if that is not achieved, or close, I'll go two years max.

We put 2 or 3K a year on our convertible 2013 GT500. I change it once a year, before Winter storage, with either RP HPS 5-30 or Mobil 1 Euro 0-40. Both of those oils have the Z & P levels you're looking for and are full synthetic.

Thanks for the feedback... anything under 2000 miles it'll get changed once every two years.
As I said in my post, "I would go up to 2 years". I'ts not set in stone. If I make the 5k miles in less than two years, that's when I'll do the OC. Two years is the max even if I didn't get to 5k miles.

Thanks for the feedback... anything under 2000 miles it'll get changed once every two years.
What filter are you using? After changing a 2ish year old filter with very low miles on the filter/oil this summer, I would recommend avoiding filters that use fiber end caps. Fiber had started coming apart at that age.

Back