Most Reliable Engine(s) Ever Made - Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: salv
Nissan KA24, Toyota 22R, Jeep 4.0 I6, Ford 300 I6, GM 3.8 V6, Honda F22A, Chrysler 3.3 V6, Volvo Red Block (b21, b23), Chrysler Slant-Six, Cadillac Northstar.
I was with you until you mentioned thd Cadillac steaming pile

many great motors have been built in the last couple decades. Ford's 3.0 Vulcan V6, 4.0 Cologne V6, GM 60 degree V6 (even despite LIM issues), Chrysler's sludge monster 2.7 V6 was a great motor once the water pump issues were addressed, many over 200k, just look at craigslist.
The Hyundai 2.7 V6 form the 1st generation Tuscon, Santa Fe, and from the Sonata and Tiburon has proven very reliable.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
IMO the Jeep 4.0 I6 is one of the toughest. My grandpa has a '96 with 131k and my brother has a '91 with 212k.

Is that supposed to be some kind of achievement? Not saying the Jeep 4.0 I6 isn't a great engine, but almost any engine will go that far.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Nissan KA24, Toyota 22R, Jeep 4.0 I6, Ford 300 I6, GM 3.8 V6, Honda F22A, Chrysler 3.3 V6, Volvo Red Block (b21, b23), Chrysler Slant-Six, Cadillac Northstar.

Ouch. The Northstar was always a tough motor. I have seen many turn in 200k trouble free miles. Some mention head gasket issues, but a couple of the other motors I mentioned were also known for head gasket failure.

Chrysler's sludge monster 2.7 V6 was a great motor once the water pump issues were addressed, many over 200k, just look at craigslist.

Yeah many with 200k on the body. Probably on the third engine at that point... lol

Ouch. The Northstar was always a tough motor. I have seen many turn in 200k trouble free miles. Some mention head gasket issues, but a couple of the other motors I mentioned were also known for head gasket failure.

http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/Lincoln/Town+Car/MARKHAM/Ontario/19_7577085_/?showcpo=ShowCPO

621,000 km (385,872 miles)

http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/Lincoln/Town+Car/MISSISSAUGA/Ontario/19_7453866_/?showcpo=ShowCPO

659,000 km (409,483 miles)

And those are low mileage compared to some I've seen listed on there
smile.gif

I don't think the Northstar has anything on the Modular. The year before last there was an '03 with 1.2 million Km on there, LOL!! That's 745,645 miles! Original engine and tranny
crazy2.gif

The northstar head gasket is very common here. Common enough that shops don't need to look up the labor as they remember it from the last 10 they did that month! 200k on one is almost unheard of here.

Originally Posted By: [email protected]
Chrysler's sludge monster 2.7 V6 was a great motor once the water pump issues were addressed, many over 200k, just look at craigslist.

Yeah many with 200k on the body. Probably on the third engine at that point... lol

Hahaha. Those engines are hard to come by unless you buy factory reman. Going rate for used motors when we were looking for one for a Sebring was $3200, one available within 150 miles.
The motors were rock solid outside of the water pumps leaking. Caught early, and fixed, the motors kept going forever.

The northstar head gasket is very common here. Common enough that shops don't need to look up the labor as they remember it from the last 10 they did that month! 200k on one is almost unheard of here.

I have a couple GM certified master techs that worked for Cadillac and swear that the motor was a solid platform.
23 hrs. labor that can be done in 7 hrs.

Originally Posted By: [email protected]

lol 205k miles on orignal engine and tranny on my intrepid 2.7, shes a milky oiled beast.

For gas V-8 mine is the Ford 460. Any yr was good. We had a few on the farm over the yrs and they last just as long as our 7.3's diesels and one 12v Cummins with FAR less maintenance cost over the yrs.

Didn't say that was an achievement. I know they're just getting started I was just giving physical examples as to why they're my favorite motors.

200k is just getting broke in for a 2v mod.

Have a few 5.4s in f350 tow trucks. Highest is pushing 400k with nothing more than belts, a WP, and fresh oil. Plugs every 100k as well, or when one turns into a bullet.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Wanted to start some kind of a poll on your opinion on what you think one (or some) of the most reliable longevity engines are.

IMO the Jeep 4.0 I6 is one of the toughest. My grandpa has a '96 with 131k and my brother has a '91 with 212k.

My Vortec 5.7 has been great as well but I would trade it any day for a Jeep with an I6

I think the GM 5.7L engine was super reliable.

So while the Jeep 4.0 engine has a reputation for being a reliable engine, there is the #331 cracked head and the cracked piston skirt problem. I have had the cracked piston skirt problem which ruined my engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back