Mobil 1 Vs Royal Purple vs Penzoil Ultra vs Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Oh. As far as m1,rp,amsoil and pu. The euro blend from royal purple still have synerlac,but I don't think meet the API approval(I could be wrong). Amsoils top shelf oil also has no certs but is a fantastic oil,pennzoil ultra would be a fine choice if you can find it and M1 0w-40 has countless certs and is recommended by so many performance auto builders that its tough to beat. And availability and price is pretty good too.
Red line is also a great oil and my personal favorite however again no certifications. So in reality if you want to maintain your warranty your choices are limited.
There are some top notch oils that don't have the certs that I'm sure will perform superbly however do you really want to possibly risk warranty denial based on using an oil that didn't carry the proper certification.
I wouldn't risk it.
I'm not a fan of Mobil whatsoever,in fact I'm a hater but in this case it seems like the obvious choice.

RP 0W40( 5W40 too )is API Certified to service level SM which is what Chrysler has spec'd for the OP's vehicle.

http://eolcs.api.org/licenseAgreementService.aspx?id=777

Originally Posted By: Kuato
THIS:
Actually I think I encountered this with my hemi. The M1 stated it was recommended for and not meets or exceeds,or some kind of fancy wording where Mobil isn't actually certified for the Chrysler spec.
Regardless I don't believe for 1 second that any Mobil product in the correct grade wouldn't meet the Chrysler spec.
So basically the consumer who got the shaft from the dealer because of oil he would have to prove that the oil was acceptable,it basically gives Chrysler an out,or loophole. Which in my opinion is a very dirty move.

PLUS THIS:
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Does your owners manual say "Motor oil meeting Chrysler MS-10725 and are approved to MB 229.3 or 229.5"?

Go back to THIS: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3031696

So even though M1 is a great oil, Chrysler isn't happy with it (yet). Amsoil doesn't "do" certifications, but that would be my choice.

That leaves RP (not a fan, it's a good oil but not for any long OCI duration) and PU is unarguably a great oil.

You didn't mention GC (German Castrol) which most BITOGers agree is fantastic.

RP oils, even the new API ones, are fine for longer intervals as long as verified with a UOA just as with "ANY" other brand.

Isn't GC a 0W30? OP needs a 0W40.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of Mobil whatsoever,in fact I'm a hater but in this case it seems like the obvious choice.

Just curious, where does the hate for XOM/M1 come from? I don't follow. Just curious.

Isn't the PU 0W-40 specifically made for the SRT line of Dodge? Also, the Amsoil 0W-40 is not a PCMO, but a small engine oil for ATVs and scooters.

Check the ad banner at the top of the page for another option.

If you take price into consideration, M1 wins hands down.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
There is the new "Belgian Castrol" 0w40, but I've never seen it.

Almost every AutoZone and Pep Boys near me carry it.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
Isn't the PU 0W-40 specifically made for the SRT line of Dodge? Also, the Amsoil 0W-40 is not a PCMO, but a small engine oil for ATVs and scooters.

Check the ad banner at the top of the page for another option.

If you take price into consideration, M1 wins hands down.

There are two different PU 0w40s. There is the "SRT" version and the "Euro" version.

SRT:
http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_X_cbe_24855_key_140007304050_201207271338.pdf

Euro:
http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_X_cbe_24855_key_140007321581_201208130853.pdf

Originally Posted By: buster

Just curious, where does the hate for XOM/M1 come from? I don't follow. Just curious.

A few bad experiences made me write them off as bullies. And the Castrol thing kinda got to me.
They could have kept their heads held high and continued with real ester stuff,but once they found out they could go cheap and the label didn't change they jumped at the chance.
Yes they are a business and profit is king but weren't they already turning a profit?

The new SRT Ultra seems lame by the spec sheet.

M1 0W-40 has more certs than any oil I can think of.

Plus it has the 'availability' factor, I frequently can get it near 5.00 per quart.

Price, availability, performance, it's pretty hard to beat it.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
The new SRT Ultra seems lame by the spec sheet.

M1 0W-40 has more certs than any oil I can think of.

Plus it has the 'availability' factor, I frequently can get it near 5.00 per quart.

Price, availability, performance, it's pretty hard to beat it.

As a Mobil basher I hate to admit that I'm in agreement.
Now yes the pennzoil spec sheet is weak however there are many things not said by a spec sheet or voa. Hopefully pennzoil will put the kybosh to the M1 by bringing in nominal wear numbers,and prove without a doubt that the SRT guys get this stuff made just for them because they require something special that no other off the shelf oil can deliver.
Noack is what jump at me first,simply due to the high oil temps described in this thread.
Piston squirters may be a remedy for ring coking as well as cooling the piston,which would aid in keeping it from heat expanding a great deal which may in turn reduce rotational friction by maintaining just enough of a seal to keep from excessive blow-by.
Perhaps it's also formulated to keep potential blow-by from eating up the tbn in short order.
I will also venture a guess that its very detergent and dispersant balanced to prevent the dreaded hemi tick(which 2 of my friends are just noticing so I am getting ahead of if by using an idle flush at each oil change,mmo added at change and at 2000 miles because that's the point where I'm confident any solvents are flashed off,and I am running 4000 mile drains on rotella,to also help clean as well as negate the mmo's thinning effect in the oil,thus far the tick is now only at start up,instead of being constant,and lasts only for a few minutes. So it's doing something,k off topic interject done) is minimized before it can materialize into a bigger problem.
I'm also thinking that the vi isn't really high to lessen shear over the life of the oil interval.
I've made a lot of assumption. I know. I hope I'm at least close,or those mopar guys are just hp without refinement,and soups is finally learning to play mobil's game.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: buster
The best 0w40? Mobil 1.

I'm not so sure that M1 0W40 is the best, I think for $22.xx 5-qt jug at Walmart everyday it's the best value 0W40 money can buy.

Regardless of the price name just one 0W-40 oil that's better?
I know only three I'd consider; RL 0W-40, RLI 0W-30 (it's really a 40wt) and Delvac 1 ESP 0W-40, plus a few blends I could conjure up. But that's it, I know of nothing else.

Maybe thats why M1 is the most expensive 0w40 in Australia and by a large margin. I'm just curious, how many other 0w40s are available in N. America?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supercity
Maybe thats why M1 is the most expensive 0w40 in Australia and by a large margin. I'm just curious, how many other 0w40s are available in N. America?

That's very interesting since M1 is the cheapest 0W-40 in the States; just another reason why it's such a no-brainer 40wt oil to use.

There are lots of 0W-40s, most formulators make one or two but M1 is clearly the most readily available in most Auto supply stores.

OK, so if M1 0w40 was not available or too expensive what would be your next choice?

Syntec 0W40.

I'd probably go for Liqui-Moly Synthoil Energy 0w40 if M1 weren't available -- available at most NAPA stores. Specs are not far off from M1 0w40.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Chrysler's spec was M1 0w-40 for many years on the 6.1. It was printed right on the oil cap!

After reviewing the various new certs like Dexos and such you can easily see that the process is highly subjective. Oils that easily meet or beat the standards sometimes do not submit themselves for certification. Who knows why...?

My engine is living proof that M1 0w-40 is EXCELLENT oil, and it will continue to be used no matter who buys Chrysler the next time!

True, they did for several years; but (couldn't find the thread) since Fiat has gotten in bed with Chrysler to replace Daimler, internal politics has moved them away from saying M1 is preferred, or even ok. It's total [censored] I know, but the bottom line is that (from the threads) warranties will not be honored with M1 because Chrysler hasn't done whatever certification for M1 -- yet.

OK, so if M1 0w40 was not available or too expensive what would be your next choice?

RP would be mine, as here, at least, it's relatively easily available and definitely not overpriced compared to other synthetics. Not much else in 40 grades is available here (aside from HDEOs and 10w-40 GTX).

First an foremost what's the application?
What's available Down Under for a reasonable price with a VI over 180?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back