Mobil 1 - What does the FS on the jug stand for?

She's NOT lying. Just not knowledgeable or informed.

That would apply to many on forums. Some of the advice I see on the car and motorcycle forums I am on, I can only roll my eyes. Comments on anything electrical or mechanical...

Last edited:
Watching Lake Speed Jr. YouTube video on Mobil 1 0W-40, I am wondering why he does not recommend it for Direct Injection engines, when my car manufacturer does who uses nothing but Mobil as a factory fill and so does Mobil.

So this tells me that Mobil is some kinda third rate hack outfit run by doofuses. And they want us to think it's some kind of premium outfit?

Pshaw. Back to Slippy Goo Lubricant and Firewater LLC I go for MY engine oils.

The only thing that makes sense is the repeated information provided by Mobil that it is "full synthetic".
Actually I’d say that makes the least sense. There are a plethora of other Mobil 1 full synthetic oils that do not say FS on the label. Of course there are lots of others that are also full-SAPS that don’t say FS, but all of them say full synthetic on the label. As has been noted ESP doesn’t say FS.

So yeah I’m in the camp that it means full-SAPS. I mean why be redundant with a little obscure “FS” on the label to indicate your strongest marketing attribute of being a full synthetic oil? They makes no sense at all.

Here's another thing to think about. Did the logo and packaging engineer put it on there to mean BOTH?

Watching Lake Speed Jr. YouTube video on Mobil 1 0W-40, I am wondering why he does not recommend it for Direct Injection engines, when my car manufacturer does who uses nothing but Mobil as a factory fill and so does Mobil.
Lake is not taking into account the fact that no engine (to my knowledge) that specified M1 0W-40 FS SN formula from the factory was ever prone to LSPI. He was concerned that LSPI would result from the high calcium levels. Now that it has been reformulated to SP, this mitigates his LSPI concern and it's no longer an issue.

Actually I’d say that makes the least sense. There are a plethora of other Mobil 1 full synthetic oils that do not say FS on the label. Of course there are lots of others that are also full-SAPS that don’t say FS, but all of them say full synthetic on the label. As has been noted ESP doesn’t say FS.

So yeah I’m in the camp that it means full-SAPS. I mean why be redundant with a little obscure “FS” on the label to indicate your strongest marketing attribute of being a full synthetic oil? They makes no sense at all.
Yes. Considering only the full SAPS ACEA oils say FS on the label, it was IMO always clear enough what it meant.

Lake is not taking into account the fact that no engine (to my knowledge) that specified M1 0W-40 FS SN formula from the factory was ever prone to LSPI. He was concerned that LSPI would result from the high calcium levels. Now that it has been reformulated to SP, this mitigates his LSPI concern and it's no longer an issue.
Lake will suffer what many do on the internet - quantity vs quality …
The 24 hour news cycle comes to mind …

Back