Mobil 1 UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am new to this forum. I always been a car guy. As a car guy I want to protect my engine.

As of right now I have a 2009 Honda Civic Si. I have upgraded camshaft, throttle body, race header(no cat), cat-back exhaust, AEM CAI, throttle body spacer, intake manifold gasket, and flashpro (ECU tuner).

I am pushing about 240-250 Hp and it revs up to 8600 RPM.

I been using mobil 1 5w_30 regliously on this car. I always thought highly of mobil 1 and never consider any other oil.

After finding this forum, I am reconsidering my thoughts on mobil 1.

From the UOA section in this forum, I noticed that mobil 1 has high lead, iron and something copper reading. What is up with that?

As of right now, I am planning to switch to Pennzoil Ultra on my next OCI.

If you guys have any other recommendation please let me know.

I can't answer the M1 questions. So far so good on Ultra for me. No tangible evidence besides the car starts and runs. I do want to ask what does that bad boy killer run in the quarter?

While I agree that Mobil 1 does often show high(er) iron in UOAs than some other oils, there are many engines that have run several hundred thousand miles on Mobil 1 exclusively and they did just fine. Many of those engines were spotless as well.

Mobil 1 is certainly more proven than Pennzoil Ultra. I am a big SOPUS fan, but I am amazed at how people act like Pennzoil Ultra is just the best stuff out there and hardly anyone has even used it yet. VOAs and PDSs can only tell you so much. Calm down with the Pennzoil Ultra people!

Originally Posted By: beast3300
I can't answer the M1 questions. So far so good on Ultra for me. No tangible evidence besides the car starts and runs. I do want to ask what does that bad boy killer run in the quarter?

I haven't been to the 1/4 mile track yet, but I done some quick pulls with my friend's car. BMW 335i, Mazdaspeed 3, Evo 9, and the likes. We're usually even or I beaten them. If I were to guess, 13.6-7 sec on street tire for the 1/4 mile. I know its not fast, but for a four banger that gets about 30 mpg I think its alright. My main focus is handling, I have more mods in that department then for speed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: baddrummerboyy

I haven't been to the 1/4 mile track yet, but I done some quick pulls with my friend's car. BMW 335i, Mazdaspeed 3, Evo 9, and the likes. We're usually even or I beaten them. If I were to guess, 13.6-7 sec on street tire for the 1/4 mile. I know its not fast, but for a four banger that gets about 30 mpg I think its alright. My main focus is handling, I have more mods in that department then for speed.

That's pretty good man! I remember reading about that body style Si being more for handling than speed straight from Honda. Turbo that thing and you will be smashing some cars good.

Originally Posted By: dsmith41
I am a big SOPUS fan, but I am amazed at how people act like Pennzoil Ultra is just the best stuff out there and hardly anyone has even used it yet. VOAs and PDSs can only tell you so much. Calm down with the Pennzoil Ultra people!

Me toooooo!!! Sorry, I was wanting Ultra ever since I read about it on here. I blame the BITOG-ers! hahhaha

I am a big SOPUS fan, but I am amazed at how people act like Pennzoil Ultra is just the best stuff out there and hardly anyone has even used it yet. VOAs and PDSs can only tell you so much. Calm down with the Pennzoil Ultra people!

Me toooooo!!! Sorry, I was wanting Ultra ever since I read about it on here. I blame the BITOG-ers! hahhaha

Don't worry about it, his ranger will have it soon enough to. He's a SOPUS fan just waiting for the rest of us to do the work then they will jump onboard.

I agree Redline is a great product. I use alot of it, approx a drum a week

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I'm still finding it hard to believe you're getting 240-250hp.

Well it really depends on the dyno. But Hondata had a dyno day. These dyno are not tuned cars, but cars just running a base map.

I have more mods then these cars in the dyno for the N/A section.

DYNO

Last edited:
There's some Honda guys here running Amsoil diesel oils, in order to get the Class IV PAO high ZDDP packages in the typical fuel economy grades.

If you're pounding on it at the track in the high RPM's, the HDD 5W30 is near the upper level of a 30. SL Gasoline grade.

Something to add to the pot.

While I agree that Mobil 1 does often show high(er) iron in UOAs than some other oils, there are many engines that have run several hundred thousand miles on Mobil 1 exclusively and they did just fine. Many of those engines were spotless as well.

Mobil 1 is certainly more proven than Pennzoil Ultra. I am a big SOPUS fan, but I am amazed at how people act like Pennzoil Ultra is just the best stuff out there and hardly anyone has even used it yet. VOAs and PDSs can only tell you so much. Calm down with the Pennzoil Ultra people!

What is SOPUS? Sorry for the newbie question.

What is SOPUS? Sorry for the newbie question.

Shell Oil Products U.S.

This formed after Shell bought Pzl-QS.

Last edited:

That's pretty good man! I remember reading about that body style Si being more for handling than speed straight from Honda. Turbo that thing and you will be smashing some cars good.

I dont think any factory honda are meant for speed straight. You can mod them to, I guess. My friend has a 1993 Civic hatchback with a k20 engine. He is able to hit the 12 sec in the 1/4 mile on street tires and 11 sec with drag tires.

But seriously, muscle cars owns those 1/4 mile tracks.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Sounds like a good candidate for Red Line oil if you are really going to beat on it.

I would love to use redline oil, but I am tight on money right now. I will definitly consider this, 60 bucks for each oil change isn't much compared to what dealer charges.

I was gonna say Motul 300V is another good choice, but you're short on cash. Then I would say stick with M1 or go with M1 Extended Performance (Higher PAO content?). Ultra has a NOACK of 11-12% so if you're beating on your car you might burn a lot of oil. M1 is around 8% IIRC.

PS Hondas belong on a road course, not the drag strip.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Scuderia
I was gonna say Motul 300V is another good choice, but you're short on cash. Then I would say stick with M1 or go with M1 Extended Performance (Higher PAO content?). Ultra has a NOACK of 11-12% so if you're beating on your car you might burn a lot of oil. M1 is around 8% IIRC.

wink.gif

I agree about the road course part.

I think I am going to try redline oil, since I am planning on road coursing and some weekend canyon.

I will look into motul 300v once I have more income.

I guess goodbye walmart and costco for oil.

Where is a good place to buy redline oil at a low price? I am expecting 10 bucks a quart.

Originally Posted By: Scuderia

wink.gif

I agree about the road course part.

I think I am going to try redline oil, since I am planning on road coursing and some weekend canyon.

I will look into motul 300v once I have more income.

I guess goodbye walmart and costco for oil.

Where is a good place to buy redline oil at a low price? I am expecting 10 bucks a quart.

Summit Racing sells it for that, and then 10 for the handling charge. Speed Shops in California may also carry it but not sure what part you live in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back