Mobil 1-Less people using it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

XOM tested M1 in harsh Vegas/dusty/heat/stop and go conditions, did tear downs, but people whine and complain about it. Amazing. Where are the other tests from other companies? I give Amsoil credit for their testing.Which btw, shows M1 to be a very good product.

Buster,
I'm all for tests and would like to see more tests. But the test has to be somewhat scientific in order to qualify as a test. What mobil did is called marketing not testing.

Now I have no problems with marketing either. Every company does it and I'm not going to boycott companies for clever use of marketing. If I did that, I would not be able to drink, eat, or use 99% if products on the shelves of stores in America. All I'm saying is let's be clear about what's what.

I just combine Bill and Buster's philosophies - free after rebate synthetic oil and cheap filters. I run it for 5-6k miles and sleep well at night with rebates in the mail and syn in the sump.

Quote:

Buster,

Quote:

Of course conventional oil in a Toyota Corolla or Subaru will do fine for 7.5k miles. Try running that 15,000 miles and let me know if you need AutoRx for deposits on the rings.

Why is the heck would I want to run something for 15k miles?

I'm a cheap skate but not lazy or D U M B.

Why is it dumb to want to use less oil given today's energy concerns? If someone wants to use less oil and help out in a small way on something that has a huge impact world wide for a multitude of reasons.........why is that dumb?

You're beginning to take this whole "nothing but conventional is smart" schtick to extreme levels.

I used M1 for years, because it was widely available and enjoyed a good rep in general. I use synths because I like the idea of added protection at very low or high temperatures. I also like the ability to extend drain intervals when it is more convenient to do so than to change the oil as planned. It may be that current Grp IIs would be very adequate for my needs, but years ago, syth was the best choice for long, clean engine life.
I have only a six quarts of M1 remaining, because there are a number of oils out there showing really good UOAs at better prices than M1, PP being a prime example. For those who like to do frequent changes, even ST syth has shown some very good UOA results.
My point is that there are a number of oils that offer as much protection in use as M1 does, at lower cost.
OTOH, for M1 money, you can buy an oil of known Grp IV and Grp V composition, GC, and at least know what you are getting.
I just switched one of the Accords to GC, plan at least 6K OCIs, and have enough for the next four changes.
All of this is not to say I will never use M1 again, but for the moment, based upon everything I have learned at BITOG, there are choices offering a superior price/value ratio.

Quote:

Quote:

Buster,

Quote:

Of course conventional oil in a Toyota Corolla or Subaru will do fine for 7.5k miles. Try running that 15,000 miles and let me know if you need AutoRx for deposits on the rings.

Why is the heck would I want to run something for 15k miles?

I'm a cheap skate but not lazy or D U M B.

Why is it dumb to want to use less oil given today's energy concerns? If someone wants to use less oil and help out in a small way on something that has a huge impact world wide for a multitude of reasons.........why is that dumb?

You're beginning to take this whole "nothing but conventional is smart" schtick to extreme levels.

Lets see. I'm getting well over 40 mpg every tank on one car and close to 30 mpg with the other.

Don't talk to me about using 4-8 extra quarts of oil every 15k.
nono.gif

Plus I turn in every ounce of used oil for recycling.

Whats your average MPG? Whats your average OCI? How long do you keep your cars/trucks? Whats the most miles you've got too? How big is your home?

I'm about getting the max value for my dollar.

I know for the miles that we drive in my household, we do very well in using less oil. Always have. Better than 90 plus percent of households in the USA.

So people use Syn for 6k and get 15mpg. Oh thats a big help world wide.

Don't worry, my "schtick" is coming close to an end...

Quote:

Bill, just answer these questions for me: What oil would you use in the following:

1. High performance car? Turbo/non-turbo (Vette/Porsche etc.)

2. Extended drains beyond 10k miles?

3. Northern US/Canada where winter temps go well below 0?

4. Cars that come factory filled with synthetic?

5. Daily drivers driven very aggressively?

Thanks.
smile.gif

(Well, if money was not an issue)

1. Amsoil (I'd whatever that would not be a problem with MFG.. IE API cert)

2. Amsoil (after UOAs showed that it was working ok)

3. Conventional 5w-30 since it gets cold here..

4. If the manual states you have to run syn, prob PP or QS.

5. Conventional and change it more often depending on UOAs/Terry.

Notice that most of the above are not getting the most for your $$.

But I answered the questions? Do I get any correct?
confused.gif

Please make the next set with multiple choice. (I do better with those )
grin.gif

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

Thanks Bill. I actually agree with you. I just think in some instances, synthetics are beneficial. That is all I was getting at. For 95% of us, they aren't necessary other than in the conditions I posted above.
cheers.gif

As API standards become more tough, it's quite possible we will all be using synthetic in the near future if Group III becomes the norm. GF-5?
dunno.gif

Quote:

That may not be a bad thing. Anyone who chooses to increase demand for oil (no one said anything about gas so I dunno why you went on that tangent), is apparently not so considerate of everything going on in the world.

But, if you do want to go down the gas mileage argument, if everyone in this country were using an oil that gave them .1mpg better mileage, do you have any idea how much gas that would save? Please, that is not insignificant.

Mobil 1 is the only oil I`ll ever use. Not because of the name or brand loyalty,but because it just simply works for me.

For the longest time I didn`t try it because I didn`t want to spend the extra money on synth (I`m a definite miser!). But I ended up trying several different synths and M1 has performed the best out of all the ones I tried,plus it`s not terrible expensive.

I`d never say an oil is good or bad unless I`ve actually tried it.

Quote:

Quote:

That may not be a bad thing. Anyone who chooses to increase demand for oil (no one said anything about gas so I dunno why you went on that tangent), is apparently not so considerate of everything going on in the world.

But, if you do want to go down the gas mileage argument, if everyone in this country were using an oil that gave them .1mpg better mileage, do you have any idea how much gas that would save? Please, that is not insignificant.

Do you know where gas comes from?

.1 of a MPG is nothing. Getting people to slow down and use cars that get 30plus mpg over their 15mpg trucks/SUVs WILL save oil.

I commute many miles and most SUV/Trucks have only one person in it and maybe a lunchbox. Same as my car. But I'm getting 2-3 times better mpg which is LESS oil.

Thanks for NOT answering the questions I asked.

I know what I do and have a clear mind for "helping" the world.

Take care, Bill
patriot.gif

Quote:

Do you know where gas comes from?

.1 of a MPG is nothing. Getting people to slow down and use cars that get 30plus mpg over their 15mpg trucks/SUVs WILL save oil.

I commute many miles and most SUV/Trucks have only one person in it and maybe a lunchbox. Same as my car. But I'm getting 2-3 times better mpg which is LESS oil.

Thanks for NOT answering the questions I asked.

I know what I do and have a clear mind for "helping" the world.

Take care, Bill
patriot.gif

Bill, I think what he is saying is that *all else equal*, saving .1 mpg across all drivers would save a lot of gas. I agree that cutting down on SUV drivers will save more gas but now we are introducing a second variable and that second variable should be examined on its own merits.

Quote:

Mobil 1 is the only oil I`ll ever use. Not because of the name or brand loyalty,but because it just simply works for me.

But I ended up trying several different synths and M1 has performed the best out of all the ones I tried.

"Worked better"...how?
dunno.gif
UOAs?
stirthepot.gif

Quote:

Quote:

But I ended up trying several different synths and M1 has performed the best out of all the ones I tried.

"Worked better"...how?
dunno.gif
UOAs?
stirthepot.gif

No scientific data or UOA`s,just me behind the wheel driving,about as layman as you can get. I`ve had a couple of oils give my car lifter tick,piston slap (piston slap is the scariest sound you`ll ever hear coming from your car),and even smoky exhaust,definitely not a good thing. Out of the 4 synth oils I`ve tried,M1 performs best for my car.

If I didn`t use M1,Valvoline conventional would be my choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back