mobil 1 and mobil 1 ep difference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bbhero
There is this one fella who has an exhaustive test and research.. 540rat.. This individual did a ton of testing on over 145 plus types of oil. The Mobil one he sent to an independent lab showed the EP has a TBN in the low 7s..
I do not buy it--I would trust PQIA and the results of many other tests posted here before I would take a one-off. I sent a sample in at 10K and another at 15K and it still had a TBN above 2.x.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
There is this one fella who has an exhaustive test and research.. 540rat.. This individual did a ton of testing on over 145 plus types of oil. The Mobil one he sent to an independent lab showed the EP has a TBN in the low 7s..
I do not buy it--I would trust PQIA and the results of many other tests posted here before I would take a one-off. I sent a sample in at 10K and another at 15K and it still had a TBN above 2.x.

I wouldn't trust a one-off either. With all the screw ups I've seen over the years with these $25 lab reports I don't have much faith in them either.

Originally Posted By: engineer20
AAP has mobil 1 deals for this week. Do you think ep is worth the extra money or no?

Can be bought at Walmart for the same price. BTW this thread is 7 years old. Check your dates before you post. The formulation of M1 EP most likely has been adjusted since then.

Well.. Interesting points made. Yes TBN drop off is not linear.. Yes that is true.. But better to have a higher buffer to combat any acids in the long run. Is it possible for a chemical/ elemental compound could maintain base number for a longer even if the starting number is lower.. ? Yes. Certainly possible. Can it be proven? I am not saying no that it cannot.. But show the proof. I also am not saying that Mobil 1 makes poor products. The truth is they make very good stuff top to bottom. No doubt in that. The lab that this guy sent his sample off to has very similar results to the PQIA has well. Within 0.5 on other similar tested products. So that gave that test a fair amount of credibility in my book. Is it possible that lab jacked up the test on the Mobil 1 EP ? Absolutely possible.. I can agree with that. The PQIA HAS NOT tested the Mobil 1 EP.. I have checked numerous times. If the TBN is greater than 9 that would make good sense to me because of how their other products test results show. Again, Mobil 1 makes very strong high performing oils. If what I read from the other test result is wrong .. than yippee.. I think that is great. Seriously. I do not mind something I read being off.. And I dont mind if other people have different ideas of things. But I would caution any of us not to beleive everything we read on a bottle of any product. Just because they say it's true does not make it true. Verify it.. Like the one person here who did send off a sample. Very wise indeeed.

So you think ExxonMobil is lying on their PDS? If so, then I think you should reevaluate your statement that "they make very good stuff top to bottom." I mean, if they lie about that, how would you ever trust anything they say?

Hey, if you believe everything someone puts on a bottle than that's your choice.. The rationale for my positive thoughts about Mobil 1 products is not from thier web site or anything made by them. But rather independent lab work or tests performed by a third party with no real vested interest. Just like I do not take Amsoil "supposed third party test".. Find another outside tests to verify.

So you do believe they are lying? But you still have "positive thoughts" about them? I guess...

What about their other published specifications? Or is it just the TBN that they are lying about? The problem is that some of the remaining specs would be quite difficult for an individual to confirm.

Hey, if you believe everything someone puts on a bottle than that's your choice.. The rationale for my positive thoughts about Mobil 1 products is not from thier web site or anything made by them. But rather independent lab work or tests performed by a third party with no real vested interest. Just like I do not take Amsoil "supposed third party test".. Find another outside tests to verify.

Yes.. Third party.. independent testing makes the case. Is it all there and tested by a third party?? I dont know. But I am going to believe that before their own tests. And that is the case not just for Mobil 1 but ANY CORPORATION. PERIOD. I have little doubt you are a very smart person. I do mean that sincerely. But I just do not trust politicans but so much or corporations. And has far has their TBN in Mobil 1 EP?? It could well be higher than low 7's.. I think that is possible.. Maybe the lab that tested it jacked it up ?? May well have happened. Again, I do think Mobil 1 makes very good products.. Not because of their own testing. I would say the same for Pennzoil and their Ultra.. Politicans like it when we just take them at their word. So do the big corporations.

Again, be careful about tests, third party or otherwise. One lab test out of the blue does not constitute a specification for a specific oil. When we see tests that don't match specifications, we call out the test, first, and retest, and test different batches, if needed. Heck, it happens here at BITOG all the time. Someone gets a VOA or UOA and something is amiss, and they check back with Blackstone to see if a retest is possible. Or, PQIA tests an oil and finds an absurdly high or low Noack score, and it brings about endless debate.

One test, be at a VOA or UOA, is simply a data point, and we must be careful not to read too much into it. Also look at it this way. If M1 5w-30, for instance, is claiming A1/B1 A5/B5 and has a TBN of only 7 via ASTM D2896, you can be sure the competition would be all over them in a second. One bad batch at Hurricane Katrina time gave the competition a marketing godsend. If I were BP marketing Syntec in North America (one of the few others that rigorously list A1/B1 A5/B5), and M1 5w-30 were showing a TBN of 7, I'd be all over them.

Check here for the PQIA's result, using ASTM D2896, along with here for a synopsis of the competition.

I prefer to relegate to the results gained from actually using the product versus any independent test or web propaganda. I have had excellent results with AFE and now am running EP to see how it goes. Too many times there are "armchair" engineers (not saying this is you) making comments about a product without ever using it and therefore do not have a $*^@# clue about what they are attempting to articulate. Reference the RP/FRAM/Amsoil bashers that jump on board with mob mentality as an example of this.

Ref 2010 FX . I do agree to an extent that people jump on and bash fram amsoil etc I don't really care for that way of doing things either.. Matter of fact I like From and I believe Amsoil is a darn good product. And yes I've used From a lot.. And yes, our own usage of any product is our best barometer of how good a product is. I don't really like third party tests that have only a negative outlook for any product. Not fair in my book.
smile.gif

Hey there captain Garak.. I agree that one of eat is not totally the end all and be all. I actually had the same view point you laid out here with a superior at work. She got all upset with patient satisfaction scores that were low for just one month.. And I was like hey its just one month.. A longer term trend is far more disconcerting than a bad month. Far more concern in that than if our survey just happened to contact a bunch of negative Nellie's. I go to the PQIAs site a lot.. So again you have good, wise and strong insight again.. No surprise there
smile.gif
ohh I have seen that result for the Mobil one .. But it is their full synthetic ..which is fantastic.. Its not the extended performance version. I looked on the PQIA site specifically for and they have not tested it just yet. I hope they do that one and Castrol w titanium 5w-30 too.

Last edited:
You might be able to check around and see if there are other VOAs on the products about which you wonder. Generally, I would trust Mobil and Castrol to have appropriate TBN levels for their A1/B1 A5/B5 oils, not to mention their A3/B3 A3/B4 types, too. Realistically speaking, all the majors do very fine, as do plenty of the smaller names - I'm fairly trusting, as long as they're certified, and if they aren't, they better be someone like Amsoil, RP, or Red Line.
wink.gif

At Wal-Mart, under twenty seven bucks for five quart jug for EP, same price as regular M1.

Plus you now get a twelve dollar rebate on EACH jug from Mobil.

People can argue for all they want but this EP is excellent oil, it's going to last me in my 4Runner a full year and at LEAST 10K miles... most probably more between changes.

Originally Posted By: Climb14er
At Wal-Mart, under twenty seven bucks for five quart jug for EP, same price as regular M1.

Plus you now get a twelve dollar rebate on EACH jug from Mobil.

People can argue for all they want but this EP is excellent oil, it's going to last me in my 4Runner a full year and at LEAST 10K miles... most probably more between changes.

Agreed; EP has served my Mazdaspeed 3 very well.

Mobil cut the add packs in the HM version fairly recently, it doesn't have any more detergents in it now than EP does. Just use the EP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back