Mobil 0W40 vs Castrol 0W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Fasttimez
I was looking at the Pennzoil Platinum 5w40 Euro, it has a TON of builder certifications & seems to be a good oil just looking at the specs, just too early to tell how it will hold up against 2 proven oils like Mobil & Castrol 0w40.

Hey Fasttimez - If you're interested, we’re currently looking for consumers who are willing to test out making the switch to Pennzoil Synthetics. We would like to give you the opportunity to try out our latest full synthetic offerings and get some results/feedback on the oil’s performance from an independent testing facility. Please send us a private message, so we can fill you in on more details. - The Pennzoil Team

Originally Posted By: GenaFishbeck
I was looking at the Pennzoil Platinum 5w40 Euro, it has a TON of builder certifications & seems to be a good oil just looking at the specs, just too early to tell how it will hold up against 2 proven oils like Mobil & Castrol 0w40.

Hey Fasttimez - If you're interested, we’re currently looking for consumers who are willing to test out making the switch to Pennzoil Synthetics. We would like to give you the opportunity to try out our latest full synthetic offerings and get some results/feedback on the oil’s performance from an independent testing facility. Please send us a private message, so we can fill you in on more details. - The Pennzoil Team

Sent you a PM.

Technically she's not selling. She's giving away free samples.
smile.gif

Being a site sponsor comes with perks, I guess.

To be fair to Gena:

- Fasttimez brought up Pennzoil and she was responding to him.

- It's not a direct sales pitch. A direct sales pitch implies an attempt by Gena to sell oil to Fasttimez. She is offering him free oil in return for him getting and sending in the samples required for before and after uoa's.

I wouldn't mind the sales pitch if the tough questions I've asked in several threads weren't routinely ignored. Should I use Mobil or Castrol? The easy answer is free Pennzoil. I ask questions about extended drains, Pennzoil product availability, product differentiation, Defy switching to SN/GF-5, and I see nothing.

In fairness, when someone asks me if they can use Rotella 5w-40 in a gasser that calls for 5w-40 in SM, I tell them no, because Shell said so, right on BITOG, but Exxon Mobil does endorse Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 in CJ-4/SM for high performance gasoline applications, right on their data sheets. So, I guess I make up for it.
wink.gif

My vehicle is a 2015 F150 with the EcoBoost engine. That engine is notorious for shearing oils & for fuel dilution. My engine is spec'd to run 5w30. Looking at numerous UOA's from other EcoBoost engines, it will shear the GF-5 5w30 oils (we have here in the USA) to a mid 20w & sometimes below that. Biggest reason is most 30w GF-5 oils start out at very low viscosity numbers, they might as well be a super thick 20w. The only reason for this is to pass the fuel economy test for GF-5 certification. This is the reason I've decided to run a thinner 0w40 or 5w40 Euro spec oil like Mobil, Castrol or Pennzoil. My fuel economy might take a little hit, but I'd rather have extra protection (in my mind anyway) that my oil won't shear to a 15w oil in 5K miles. I've actually decided to give the Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40 a try, I've always liked using Shell products (I ran QSUD religiously) they seem to give good results (to me anyways). I'll do a VOA & some UOA's for you guys so we can compare how these EcoBoost engines respond to a Euro spec oil vs GF-5 spec'd oils.

Hmmm, a non-ILSAC Pennzoil product in an engine specifying an ILSAC oil. Is the Pennzoil team really going to endorse this when I got slapped down for suggesting Rotella 5w-40 SM in an engine calling for 5w-40 SM?

I say it will work. In the meantime, we need a "can of worms" smiley, although the popcorn one would fit, I suppose, along with this.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Hmmm, a non-ILSAC Pennzoil product in an engine specifying an ILSAC oil. Is the Pennzoil team really going to endorse this when I got slapped down for suggesting Rotella 5w-40 SM in an engine calling for 5w-40 SM?

I say it will work. In the meantime, we need a "can of worms" smiley, although the popcorn one would fit, I suppose, along with this.
whistle.gif

The Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40 is still API SN approved. I'd rather have an oil that can pass more stringent builder tests like BMW LL-01, MB 229.5, VW 505 & Porsche A40 to name a few, than a GF-5 oil which starts out at the bottom of the 30w viscosity range to begin with & is designed to shear so it can pass the fuel economy requirements of GF-5. I'm by no means saying that ILSAC oils are bad, or that they don't have their place in the world, I'm just saying there's a better application of oil for MY particular DI Twin Turbo engine. The ILSAC GF-5 oils aren't it. I'm guessing with GF-6 coming you will see ILSAC oils being blended to look much like Euro spec oils seeing as how there seems to be 2 tiers of GF-6. One tier with HTHS requirements,along with longevity in mind, & one tier for fuel economy. This looks to be ILSAC's answer to all the DI Turbo domestic engines that are killing the "water thin" GF-5 oils after 3K-5K miles, especially when towing heavy in a truck. You'll most likely see the EcoBoost engines spec'd for the GF-6 tier that has a higher HTHS spec & such, much like Euro spec oils. I'd rather just start out using one now & not wait for GF-6 to tell us what we already knew. Long winded I know....I could be wrong, but I might just be right.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
How similar is the castrol 0w-40 to the famed german castrol 0w 30?

Very similar additive packages, the 0w40 has a viscosity of about 13.5 cSt & the 0w30 is about 11.8 cSt. The 0w40 is API SN, while the 0w30 is API SL.

I personally have no qualms with what you're considering. Your engine and mine essentially specify the same thing, and look what I'm running, which I did during the end of the warranty period.

I'm just taking issue with the stance of the Shell people with respect to Rotella in a gasser where it meets specifications and their (understandable) desire to stick with ILSAC lubes where specified and then this. It just seems peculiar to me that they've frowned on the idea of Rotella 5w-40 SM in an application calling for 5w-40 SM (not an ILSAC application, not an ILSAC oil), yet going to the Pennzoil Euro in an ILSAC 5w-30 application is something they'd endorse.

As for the UOAs, as has already been discussed in another thread, they're not taking a giant risk here. Using their premium lubes to manufacturers' intervals in North America, particularly in this case an A3/B4 lubricant in a vehicle whose OLM is calibrated for a basic SN/GF-5, and running a UOA on them isn't exactly sticking their neck out very far. A UOA is to determine whether a lubricant is suitable for continued use. Pennzoil Euro in a 5w-30 SN/GF-5 application will almost certainly be suitable for continued use at the end of the OEM OCI, considering "lesser" oils would also still have life left.

I say it's a great gesture on their part and a nice little program they're running. But, there is an awful lot of marketing going on here with only some very rudimentary nods to the technical details.

I see what you're saying. I don't think Gena was saying I should run a non ILSAC GF-5 oil in my vehicle, I'm guessing she was asking if I'd like to try their ILSAC GF-5 approved oils. I see you're in Saskatchewan, I took a hunting trip up there years ago, beautiful area.

Ahh, I see what you mean. That's perfectly possible. And, if that's the case, well, then I guess they're not talking out of both sides of their mouths.
wink.gif
Of course, any of the ILSAC lubes would be suitable for an OEM OCI.

Where in SK did you hunt?

I see what you're saying. I don't think Gena was saying I should run a non ILSAC GF-5 oil in my vehicle, I'm guessing she was asking if I'd like to try their ILSAC GF-5 approved oils.

She responded to your comment about PP Euro 5w-40, so presumably that is what she wanted to send you. But I guess if you wanted an ILSAC GF-5 oil instead, she could send it to you, too.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,GenaFishBeck - Sorry to intrude but the OP did NOT mention Pennzoil - see the heading - why then is a direct Sales Pitch for Pennzoil products relevant???

Get a nap. Site sponsor, and free oil. Gena, ignore Mr. Grumpy.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Where in SK did you hunt?

It was about 6 years ago, can't remember specific name, we went to one of the guided hunting camps. It was a great time, went on a 5 day guided whitetail deer hunt. You guys have HUGE deer compared to where I live in the USA. They look like baby cows with antlers....haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back