missed change by 8k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
my son has a 2001 ford ranger, i know,i know my dad told me to NOT buy a ford. back to the subject, he missed the change by 8k miles. what do?

Depends on the type of driving. If 8K highway miles, don't worry. If frequent starts and stops and short trips, you might have the engine checked for sludge buildup. If it is sludged, do a flush with a good product such at Auto RX or Seafoam. Then, after the flush procedure is finished, refill with a good synthetic and quality filter in case your son gets forgetful again.

There's nothing wrong with Ford Rangers. An oldy, but a goody, IMO.

As far as the oil, if it's running well, then just change the oil to something a little more robust to combat future neglect and forget about it. If he continues to run too-long intervals, then let him learn that lesson...

Use the same brand/anybrand and change it alittle earlier. It will clean out automatically when you get back on schedule.

Pull engine and do a complete rebuild.
wink.gif

Not much you can do, just change it and go about your life.
smile.gif

Good thing its a Ford. LOL

You say he missed the change by 8K miles. How many miles did he go since the last OCI?

the regular intervals are 3k miles. i run valvoilne premium blue. its factory fill for cummins diesel. have been using it for years. i know i know it a diesel oil, but it does work on gasoline engines. the sticker says 180,xxx he went 188,xxx. before 180,xxx i cant remember what we did. all most forgot thanks a ton fore your help. iam into radio control trucks. and the forums sometimes get to be a kids sand box. BUT this site is THE BEST.

Last edited:
So he went 11k miles on an HDEO, if I'm reading you correctly. I wouldn't worry a whole lot if it was changed even at 5-6k miles.

Check that, I wouldn't worry. Change it out and sleep well.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
So he went 11k miles on an HDEO, if I'm reading you correctly. I wouldn't worry a whole lot if it was changed even at 5-6k miles.

Check that, I wouldn't worry. Change it out and sleep well.

+1

Should be fine...

Add MMO, drive to walmart. Buy rotella 10w/30 and filter. Run 1500mi. Change to oil and filter of your choice and change normally.

I'm assuming it was stop and go, engine is now a little low, etc.

Valvoline premium blue is a good HDEO (I assume you're using the regular 15W40 and not the extreme 5W40 synthetic). 11K or so on that doesn't seem like it would be a big deal, unless the truck was run on a lot of short trips...

And if that's your fill with a 3K OCI (which strikes me as pretty short) then just keep changing it as you have been - the engine will be clean before the next oil change...

Originally Posted By: morris
my son has a 2001 ford ranger, i know,i know my dad told me to NOT buy a ford. back to the subject, he missed the change by 8k miles. what do?

It's probably ruined now, so I will take it off your hands for $100.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Originally Posted By: morris
It's probably ruined now, so I will take it off your hands for $100.
lol.gif

I'll make it $105. But that's only because I'm a sucker for a sad story and I'm feeling generous...

I have a 2001 Ford Explorer Spt Trac with a 4.0 SOHC V6 which has gone 20K+ per change running Amsoil SSO 0W-30 ever since the SSO oil was avaiable. Prior to that I ran Amsoil ASL 5W-30 at the same interval. Truck was bought new in 2001. Uses no oil and runs as good at 171K as it did when new. Tough little truck with an ancient, but reliable motor. Would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Those Ford Rangers and Chevy S10's are on the road FOREVER.
IIRC there was a study done by insurance agencies to figure out what vehicles had the most miles and were driven the longest and the small trucks beat out everything else.

Sure there are a bunch of parts trucks out there that rack up a ton of miles, but I still see a lot of smaller trucks out there on the road.

A HEDO is a good use for your son's application. I'd just change it to what you were using and go another 3000 before going back to 5000 mile OCI's.

I got tarred and feathered for posting a thread like this.

Not really. The HDEO should help you out. If you are worried, check out the valve cover, or the oil cap. I noticed in some cars here in Japan that the oil cap would be sludged up. You shouldn't have too much of a problem if you are running at HDEO at 3K miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back