Military Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most kids aren't fit for the military. From the schools and what teach (and don't teach) to the junk food and sedentary lifestyles to the lack of personal discipline, etc, etc, etc. On top of all that these are bankers wars. You can bet their kids aren't going to be involved. What a mess!

Current NATO nations having a land border with Russia include Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania (joined 2004), and now Finland (joined 2023) and considering the little isolated western part of Russia between Poland and Lithuania, Poland joined NATO in 1999.

There's no point arguing with someone who doesn't take a few minutes to get the basic facts right.
View attachment 170440

Do you want WW III over this circumstance??

I don’t.

I am genuinely glad that administration in 2014 did not over react…

This nation should have learned from the wasted wars from the early 2000s that we cannot just see things from just our view point.

A possibility of a NATO nation right on their own border??

Is that the best idea in the wide world of sports ?

How did we feel about Cuba being that close to us ?

Granted intermediate nuclear weapons stationed there was not helpful. No doubt.
If Ukraine had been a member of NATO this whole thing would not have happened. So Canada should not have a treaty with another nation. And neither should any other country bordering Russia. We realize you like Russia but you are making it a bit too obvious.

If Ukraine had been a member of NATO this whole thing would not have happened. So Canada should not have a treaty with another nation. And neither should any other country bordering Russia. We realize you like Russia but you are making it a bit too obvious.

I’m no fan of them either…. Contrary to your post…

I remember a candidate being ridiculed mercilessly by the media for saying that country was one of the biggest threats to us… And I agreed with him when he said that…

I do not look at them as an ally. They are not.

However… stupidity in handling circumstances with them is not a remotely good idea…

You want WW III ?

You think we can “win” that ?

You think what those people think doesn’t matter ???

It does…

That nation’s leadership has said they could well go to the mat if things keep being done the way the have been done for a long time.

I believe maybe… just maybe… we should be careful here.

The US military (except for the USMC) continues to miss its recruiting goals. It may be as much as 160K personnel short. This is becoming a national defense issue.

Salient facts;
draft ended 50 years ago
recruiting is hugely expensive and draws important skilled personnel from their MOS
a decreasing percentage of Americans can qualify for military service for many reasons
unemployment is a historic low

Proposal;
I won't link to the source but it is from a reliable source and is easy to find.
Selective Service already exists
Recruiting will continue as normal for eleven months of the year and a selective draft will operate for the twelfth month to make up the shortfall
This may include females

Observations and opinions;
Having had a personal and up close experience with the draft it is an unfortunate but necessary thing if we will continue to live as a free country
The military is a feeder for many important civilian occupations. Lots aviation rates move easily into general and commercial aviation. Airline pilots are frequently military trained as are air traffic controllers. Ditto for medical and many other fields so there is a direct national benefit.

Thoughts about this?

View attachment 169934
My draft status is 1H. 1 & holding. Be ready to be called up at any time. I have gotten nothing from Selective Service to indicate anything different. I do a couple of pushup once a month to stay in shape.

A question to ponder is why in Singapore, being "drafted" is being a good citizen and a "right of passage"? Being a conscript in Singapore is viewed very honorable by almost all its people. In Singapore, after military service is when one starts college.

Last edited:
Hmmm sacrificial lottery to keep us safe...sounds very Mayan, and not heaps "free".

An alternative would be a vote for the draft, where you enter a booth, and vote for or against it...vote yes, back door opens and off you go to boot camp. Should easily fill the spaces then...

The fat kids can do work in cyber-security or work as CNAs in some VA hospital. The definition of "national service" will have to make a couple twists.
I think 🤔 spot on. My grandma worked the aircraft assembly line during WW2 in Wichita. Get everyone to work in cohesive manner. Dad joined the Navy to avoid the death grab of going to the Army during Vietnam Draft, got picked as Navy Corpsman assigned to 2nd Marines....ouch 🤕. Tell all non felon dischargees you might be going to a base to drive trucks,cook, paint,clean,etc to help war effort in return you will receive meals, compensation and opportunity for awards and upgrade in discharge.

I can see why fewer and fewer people wants to enlist. The war since 911 hasn't really ended and the current generation was born AFTER it happened, wondering why we are still there, and have seen many lost their lives there. The income of military personnel hasn't caught up to the rest of the economy, and veterans haven't really gotten ahead in their career after discharge vs the rest of the population, etc.

Does draft work? Maybe, but do you want everyone to be in with no exception? Do you have any exception that ends up benefiting the wealthy but left no choice for the poor? What do you provide those in service after they were drafted? Free college education? Free down payment for their first home? Free health care for life? Green card for potential immigrants into the US? You can't get motivated people if you just force them into a draft with nothing. There has to be something to gain to motivate them.

Who knows what is behind Putin's strategy? Maybe he and JinPing are smarter than we take them for..... the longer Ukraine draws out, the more money gets sucked out of the US to help Ukraine, which can leave us vulnerable to when China decides to join in the action.

And there's more than just the Land, Sea and Air war, it's the space war that provides the support for the Land, Sea and Air war, and since we are more and more reliant on Space, China and Russia's ASAT technology gives a lot of worry to the US.

And that Chinese spy balloons probably gave a lot of key information for China to use their hypersonics against us on critical military infrastructure.
This is just my personal opinion (along with those on the internet):

Putin just want to make sure Ukraine, Belarus, etc aren't turning against them, so he make sure those who cross the line is punished. Will Putin win? He probably won't, but I think eventually he will just want to destroy Ukraine enough to make it worthless to the rest of the world.

China, just want to make sure Russia does not collapse, and Ukraine winning the war sending hope to Taiwan telling them it is worth trying to declare independent. If Russia collapse then the only enemy left for NATO would be China, so make sure Russia is healthy enough to not collapse is very important, and make sure Taiwan doesn't try to mimic Ukraine is also very important.

I've mentioned why China doesn't want Taiwan to go "independent" already in the past (so the rest of China won't try to copy), and also why it doesn't want to invade Taiwan (it won't win, and everyone in the world would be in a massive financial collapse, not worth any gain). I'll not repeat it again.

You don't win a war with just a few bombs, the logistics is where a long drawn war is won or lost.

A question to ponder is why in Singapore, being "drafted" is being a good citizen and a "right of passage"? Being a conscript in Singapore is viewed very honorable by almost all its people. In Singapore, after military service is when one starts college.
1) Singapore's international politics is very neutral. They don't send solders elsewhere to die. They do need a military so Malay wouldn't just stomp on them if they got into an argument.

2) Singapore isn't really a democracy or has a lot of freedom. If you spit chewing gum on the sidewalk you get fined. If you do graffiti on someone else's car you get whipped.

3) Do you dare to talk trash about the government in Singapore? See 2) above...

in ww2 the government didnt rly need the draft. so many men aged 17 - 40 were so eager to enlist so they could kill every murdering *** to avenge their fellow Americans who died in pearl harbor.

The "Draft" preceded WWII and was enacted in 1940 after the Fall of France. Over 1 million men were in the Army alone by Pearl Harbor (up from less than 200,000 in 1939, when the US ranked behind Romania in combat power on land) That was necessary to create a training cadre for full mobilization in which the Army alone had about 6 million+ by 1945. An all-volunteer force could never have provided enough people under arms to fight a fully mobilized German and Japanese forces...

Last edited:
One thing that clearly sails over a lot of peoples' heads in this thread is that a draft, or conscription, would make deploying draftees to war extremely difficult, at least the ones like Iraq where there was no clear existential threat. A World War scenario would be different, but interventionalist polices would be vastly curtailed politically. That's why Donald Rummy eliminated a lot of traditional rear echelon MOS' and used expensive contractors to fill roles like running mess halls, to free up the limited volunteer forces for combat during the second Iraq War...

Also, there are different sorts of drafts. The US still had the WWII era draft after 1945, but there were enough volunteering that few were actually drafted, until Korea. The peacetime Cold War draft from about '45 until 1972/73 was to maintain an army of around 1 million after The Korea War, and to bolster the other services (and USANG/Reserves) by inducing volunteer enlistment of those not wanting to serve in active infantry/combat units. Many conscripts were trained then simply sent to the Nat'l Guard or active Reserve to serve their enlistments depending on actual manpower needs. WWI and WWII were total mobilization of almost every able bodied male not needed for critical war production or infrastructure, and not just a "draft".

A draft today is nearly impossible without a significant threat catalyst (like a Chinese blockade of Taiwan or Russian incursion into a NATO country). Even then it would take a while to get through Congress short of an actual shooting war. And even if there was a draft today in present circumstances, very few would actually be drafted as opposed to the period 1950-1972, maybe 100K-200,000 out of tens of millions eligible...

Not a fan of mandatory service unless during war time. Making people service when they don’t want to is not going to make them or our military better. Some people think (incorrectly) that everyone in the military is a hard working, disciplined go-getter… Not true. There are plenty of skaters, shuffle butts, and losers… we called them 💩 bags. And that happens in an all volunteer military. So it will probably be ten fold with mando service. Just throwing bodies at this problem won’t solve it…

As I often say, I am glad I served, I wouldn’t take it back, but I wouldn’t do it again either. If my kids decide to serve, I will very much understand and support them… and if they decide not to serve, I will also very much understand and support them.

Remember these fellows?

1691066946950.png

Too much trouble.

Maybe that's why we are allowing so many illegal alien military age men into the country. Give them citizenship in return for two years time in the US Army. Presto! Like having an instant mercenary force.

Last edited:
They pick and choose who the show interacts with. There are thousands of stops made per day the show weeds through what it thinks are the scummiest to show.

OP Live is, more or less "Live".

Also - the YouTube channels like State Boyzzz, Natural State Transparency, Police Pursuits, and the few others that focus on Arkansas State Patrol publish videos they have requested and received through FOIA requests, they have to pay for those. I don't know how they filter through stops that might be representative of a high-quality person being stopped, who has a valid DL, insurance, tag and doesn't have weed, cocaine, meth or fentanyl in their car. Yes, I know, those stops are boring...

But the sheer amount of stops and people associated with these stops, not just a driver, but calls to residences or businesses where there's 8, 10, 20, 40 people who represent the sector I'm talking about is insane. 40 people in one cluster and every one of them is hollering, screaming, whatever, can't compose a clear, comprehensible sentence?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back