Mazda CX-30 problem that Mazda ignores

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

As I mentioned in some other threads my daughter has a 2021 CX-30 that was bought new in August 2021. She now has 37K and it's running very well. Within a week of buying the vehicle she got a "Battery Low" warning along with a suggestion to start the car and drive it to charge the battery. I put it on a trickle charger but it happened again soon after. I took it back to the dealer who pretty much blew me off by saying to ignore the message. I told my daughter and she has done just that since then (the car has never failed to start). I recently had the car for a week and when I vaccumed the interior the warning came on. I found this thread on the CX-30 forum and it appears Mazda is ignoring this widespred issue rather than fixing it.

My 2021 does it as well. I just ignore it.
I charged her battery and the next day it gave the warning again.... when I put it back on the trickle charger it took several hours to fully charge. While this is not scientific it does tell me the battery is draining. I'm not surprised with all the 'warnings' on the vehicle (and most modern cars). Mazda should figure out the problem (it's probably software related....whatever that means) and fix it.

For your door lock settings try changing it from proximity to manual open or whatever the settings denote.

What you want is to open the doors by pushing the button. I’m not sure if these have the touch sensors in the door handle. Usually people set the settings to proximity so when you get close the doors automatically unlock. Uncheck that preference and see if the messages go away.

I have a 2020 cx-30 (preferred trim fwd) but I have never had any kind of battery warning. I have had the doors open while I clean the interior quite a few times.

In the thread linked in first post, someone said the dealer had found a shorted relay and after it was replaced, he had no more issues.

Now the rain sensor in my cx-30 has never worked, I can see that the sensor is not adhered to the windshield correctly. I just haven't bothered taking it in for that yet. I need to do that before warranty is up.

I did find a loose fuse in the dash fusebox soon after buying it, but could not find an empty spot for it there or in the fusebox under the hood, so I assume it is a spare. Maybe that unused fuse is preventing my battery drain lol.

Edit: bolded because for the rest of the thread (on cx-30talk.com) no one commented on that possible fix. Seems plausible to me that a bad batch of relays got into some cars, and caused a battery drain?

Last edited:
It doesn't sound serious...until she ignores it and it's really a low battery. I'd go back to the dealership and politely demand a fix.

For you and me, not a big issue. But your daughter, my mom or wife? Not accepting that dealership response.

modern vehicles have a LOT of JUNK IMO that runs the battery down + coupled with regulated charging + NOT enough driving they get run down!! i use a C-TEK charger regularly at least overnight + usually longer being retired + all my batteries are older + longer lasting!!!

I would advise,

Fully charge the battery.

Test the battery, does it pass? Is it actually fully charged?

If it’s fully charged see if the warning stays off. If it does not when it comes on test the battery and if it’s still charged you have a BMS error. If it is not you have a battery drain.

Not trying to be flip. They have successfully deferred the problem past the point where its under warranty - which I think would be 36K. Why I hate dealers.

I charged her battery and the next day it gave the warning again.... when I put it back on the trickle charger it took several hours to fully charge. While this is not scientific it does tell me the battery is draining. I'm not surprised with all the 'warnings' on the vehicle (and most modern cars). Mazda should figure out the problem (it's probably software related....whatever that means) and fix it.
My sister had a newer Ford Escape a few years ago. After three days it would be dead. Two different Ford dealerships couldn't figure it out.

My sister had a newer Ford Escape a few years ago. After three days it would be dead. Two different Ford dealerships couldn't figure it out.
Our Mazda5's battery would discharge after the vehicle sat for a few days.

I found high dark current (c. 250 - 300 mA IIRC) and pulled fuses until it dropped to a reasonable 30 mA.

It turned out to be the Bluetooth unit.

Last edited:
Keep the key fob(s) far away from vehicle when not in use so car can be completely off. Otherwise the battery will keep draining itself.
This is one of the issues mentioned in the forum I posted....apparently the key fob must be kept >15 feet away from the vehicle otherwise it won't allow the car to 'go to sleep'.

I agree that modern cars have too much 'junk' which draw down the battery (and add to the ever growing cost of vehicles). The number of 'warnings' is ridiculous. My wife's friend just bought a late model used Subaru and she was so happy that it still used a regular key rather than a fob...I have to agree....if the fob needs to be in the proximity of the ignition...why not just put it in the ignition so you know where it is?

This is one of the issues mentioned in the forum I posted....apparently the key fob must be kept >15 feet away from the vehicle otherwise it won't allow the car to 'go to sleep'.

I agree that modern cars have too much 'junk' which draw down the battery (and add to the ever growing cost of vehicles). The number of 'warnings' is ridiculous. My wife's friend just bought a late model used Subaru and she was so happy that it still used a regular key rather than a fob...I have to agree....if the fob needs to be in the proximity of the ignition...why not just put it in the ignition so you know where it is?

15ft is really far. I'd double check that but this issue isn't unheard of with other makes which have this comfort access feature. On an aside Amazon sells cheap faraday bag/containers which one can throw their keys in when they get home.

15ft is really far. I'd double check that but this issue isn't unheard of with other makes which have this comfort access feature. On an aside Amazon sells cheap faraday bag/containers which one can throw their keys in when they get home.
This is how quite a few vehicles are stolen every year. You come home lay the key fob down and don't think about it. A couple of years back a number of Tesla's were stolen as the car thieves used a coat hanger and a scanner next to the front door.

I was leaving my WRX key in the center console when I wasn't driving it, and often it would sit there for a week or more (parked inside the garage). Someone here recommended that I keep the key away from the car.... Probably saved me from learning a lesson the hard way! No low battery issues here.

My daughter has left her keyless entry FOB pretty much in her 2013 Acura ILX(loaded Civic with CRV motor) for the last year except at work. At school and home the key with wallet no less attached.

No battery issues .

If its your Ladys car,you need to certainly be pro active in finding a solution.Get yourself a DC Voltmeter,if the light comes on,get a reading for the dealership. A C-Tek battery charger is a good investment, especially cars that do a lot of short trips,lots of starts,head lights etc.Some others recommended distance between fob and car.Keep a record and paper trail for the dealer.And a jump pack will save one service call.Until you can fix or live with it,I would just keep being an investigator.

Reactions: pbm
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back