Tell me about Mazda, maybe the CX 30

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2024
So my daughter will be driving soon and we'll the wife and I think she needs some nanny features the Buick just does not have. So we have floated the idea of giving her the Malibu and getting the wife something lightly used. I am going to give the Buick to someone who needs a car if we go this route. As you know I'm a GM guy, but we are looking at other vehicles. Nothing German and nothing Honda. So tell me about Mazda. Specifically the CX 30 and CX 5.

Cute cars with a better interior and handling than Honda/Toyota. Fairly easy to work on, more similar to Honda than Toyota. Very small dealer network, not the greatest parts distribution channels (for the dealers). Cars also tend to be on the small side for their segment.

I can’t tell you anything about those particular cars but I can tell you about the two Japanese-made cars I’ve owned. I had a 2012 3 and still have a 2016 6. I’ve been a Toyota guy all my adult life, and still am I suppose, but IMO the build quality is every bit as good as any of the several Toyotas I’ve owned. The driving experience is even better. I would absolutely consider buying another Mazda if they ever start importing a FWD midsize sedan again.

Cute cars with a better interior and handling than Honda/Toyota.
We owned a 2014 RAV4, daughter still owns a 2015 CX-5 bought 6 months apart. I don't think a person could tell the difference in the handling between the 2 unless there's something at the limit and who drives them there? Marketing. Would own a CX-5 with no reservations, daughter still has hers and it has needed nothing. Both had good seats that you can spend long days in.

Test drive, test drive, test drive!
Since you're a GM guy, how about an Equinox or Terrain?
When I search for a new vehicle, I always go out to test drive HONDAS & TOYOTA, along with anything else that I am considering. I often come back liking something else better for one reason or another.

Last edited:
I would give her the Malibu since it has a 5 star overall safety rating.

This might sound goofy to all of you? One thing I've noticed GM does a better job at than most imports is the steering stays centered better making the car a little easier to drive on the freeway.

You really must test drive, but when I drove my uncle-in-law's (wife's uncle?) CX 5, I was mighty impressed. Interior and overall feel was at least 2 segments above the price-point and handling was superb for a somewhat bigger CUV. Has the full compliment of safety nannies and feels like a bank vault. Pretty decent motivation without being harsh or noisy. Always hear good things about Mazdas and tend to forget them when looking around or suggesting them to folks. Just not as big or in your face as the H and T offerings. Now the 6? My gawd, if they brought that back in that Soul Red, it would be over right there.

I'm on my 2nd 6 sedan now. Neither this one nor the previous have required any repair visits to the dealer. Overall I like the quality, style and driving dynamics. My 75 y.o. in-laws have a CX-5 and I haven't heard any complaints from them. Here are a couple of complaints I have about the 6, which is probably not so different than their SUVs:
1) Steering is heavy, gets a little annoying in parking lots.
2) Engine can be groany when accelerating from a stop, especially when cold
3) Infotainment is not the best - e.g. frequent glitches with apple carplay automatically connecting

Only complaint I have is how high I must lift my right leg to enter the car. Super reliable and comfortable and am getting over 30mpg on the highway.

I have a 17 CX-5. Drives well, its fairly quiet, handles really well. Interior is nice, my complaint is with the electronics. The GPS is way easier and faster to use on a phone. Takes waaaay too long to get an address in.

I also hate the electronics on the windshield wipers. The rear wiper ( which we rarely use ) has the usual interval delay that you can change on the stem, by turning a dial. The front wipers are automatic, medium or fast wipe, no choice of interval. The automatic setting never works right, its either too fast in light rain chattering or too slow in light rain, you have no input on the speed.

I wish they would reverse the controls and put auto on the rear and the typical delay dial for the front wipers.

Also there is there is this crazy beeping sound when we both get out of the car, when both doors open. I don't know what it is, the dealer doesn't know what it is. and you cant stop it.

The lights on the mirror light up when another car is near you and its distracting, i can see that useful for older people with limited mobility. But an option to turn it off would be nice.

None of this is a reliability issue, just an annoyance.

They may have improved some of this on newer models. I would probably buy one again if i needed to, as it drives nice.

Test drive, test drive, test drive!
Since you're a GM guy, how about an Equinox or Terrain?
When I search for a new vehicle, I always go out to test drive HONDAS & TOYOTA, along with anything else that I am considering. I often come back liking something else better for one reason or another.
So being a GM guy it means I also know which ones to avoid. I am good with the 2.0 LTG, it is solid and the one in the Malibu has been great. It would have to be a 2.0 or current 3.6. I looked at a Blazer, but GM is awful proud of those.

So my daughter will be driving soon and we'll the wife and I think she needs some nanny features the Buick just does not have. So we have floated the idea of giving her the Malibu and getting the wife something lightly used. I am going to give the Buick to someone who needs a car if we go this route. As you know I'm a GM guy, but we are looking at other vehicles. Nothing German and nothing Honda. So tell me about Mazda. Specifically the CX 30 and CX 5.
CX5 is the better vehicle, CX30 is sportier. Mazda makes a very very good product from every aspect, for its price point. I cannot think of a better product in this class/price point. To me, next step up is Acura RDX class. Do NOT get FWD. FWD SUV/CUV is absurd, IMO. It will also limit resale in the future. Mazda's AWD system is okay. Nothing amazing, but it IS super simple/cheap/reliable. It just doesn't lock in as well as I'd prefer when compared to others. What I mean by that is if you go up a steep gravel drive, you get "divots" where it locks/unlocks. It will slip and grip more than other S&G type setups. Even the Haldex in my Ex's Ford Edge.

I'm more of a Toyota guy but since you favor GM how about a Chevy Trax? Can't beat the price on those and the new design looks good.

How about a Mazda 3 hatchback? I couldn't believe how nice the interior was and definitely sporty. Plus it has a distinctive look to it. A bit of a blind spot in the rear but has blind spot monitoring. The last car they make. Comes with a 2.5 NA engine and conventional transmission. There was a thread on here about how nice they are when someone had it as a rental. From someone that has high end cars.

Do NOT get FWD. FWD SUV/CUV is absurd, IMO. It will also limit resale in the future.

Thank you for clarifying this is "IMO", because in my own contrary opinion that's an absurd opinion. :) I think 90% of drivers do not need AWD and two wheel drive is cheaper, more fuel efficient and will have fewer chance of problems down the road.

Check out this article by Car and Driver which dispels some myths about AWD. In particular, it does not help you stop or turn in icy/snowy conditions. All it does is reduce wheel spin while accelerating, but you should not be accelerating aggressively in icy/snowy conditions anyway. AWD is also a big pro with high-horsepower sports cars where it helps harness all that power. Very low % of cars.

I'm more of a Toyota guy but since you favor GM how about a Chevy Trax? Can't beat the price on those and the new design looks good.

I agree, and it's getting very good reviews in the automotive press which is unusual for GM products.

Back