Mag-Lite Flashlights

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only qualm I have with Mag-Lite flashlights is the shoddy rubber on/off switch on many models. I think they should do some R&D into improving the duty cycle. Otherwise, they're inexpensive and (usually) work well.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
I shop at Fenix store with EXCELLENT service and fast free shipping....

Thanks for the link. I used it last week to buy a Fenix E01 for my girlfriend to put on her keychain. I'm pretty impressed with it--tiny, bright, precisely machined and very sturdy. After playing with it a bit I ordered the LD20 Q5 to keep in my toolbox. 180 lumens from 2 AA batteries is absurd.

Do yourself a favor and buy some Sanyo Eneloop (or other brand equivalent) rechargeable cells. They won't discharge themselves like a standard Ni-MH will, and you'll get better run time out of them than you will with alkaline cells.

Originally Posted By: tropic

I shop at Fenix store with EXCELLENT service and fast free shipping....

Thanks for the link. I used it last week to buy a Fenix E01 for my girlfriend to put on her keychain. I'm pretty impressed with it--tiny, bright, precisely machined and very sturdy. After playing with it a bit I ordered the LD20 Q5 to keep in my toolbox. 180 lumens from 2 AA batteries is absurd.

I carry a few lights during the night at work. The LD20 Q5 is excellent. Nice to use for getting attention of traffic with the orange wand on it.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Do yourself a favor and buy some Sanyo Eneloop (or other brand equivalent) rechargeable cells. They won't discharge themselves like a standard Ni-MH will, and you'll get better run time out of them than you will with alkaline cells.
Very good!

Actually ANY "Hybrid" rechargable battery (Wal-Mart has Kodak PRE-Charged for under $9 for 4) work and last forever.

Just make sure it is a Hybrid or pre-charged. (I'm about 80% with the new style and it is so nice to grab batteries that are not dead)

I use lights quite a bit and the Fenix really work well.

The best light for a tool box or glovebox is the $38 delivered E20. It's only a one mode light but bright, strong and well made. It would be better if it was 2 mode. Low and high.

Take care, bill

I've been using the Kodak Pre-Charged since they came out and am quite satisfied with them. The AA's are a bit oversize, which means they won't fit everything, but that does give them increased capacity. The metal is a bit thin, so the negative end will dent pretty easily, but it has little impact on functionality. I use them in every one of my carry lights that uses AA and AAA cells.

If you use your light a lot, a good charger and a couple spare sets of cells is indispensable. I have a Vanson V-6280 and I love it. It's somewhat pricey compared to commonly available chargers, but well worth it.

Thanks for the heads up on some good bang for buck rechargeable cells. I'll pick up some Kodaks the next time I'm in Wal-Mart.

@ Bill: Yup, I liked the E20, but 109 lumens is simply too bright for most uses I have in mind.

When shopping for a flashlight, what lumen levels are appropriate for specific applications.

Inside looking at a breaker panel?

In the barn looking at tractor engine?

Outdoors?

Is the E20 Bill talks about too bright for the inside applications?

Originally Posted By: odessit
Originally Posted By: rg200amp

Yes there are some brighter lights out there that police use. They cost so much money. 300-400 bucks!!!!

Yes there are some brighter lights out there that professionals use. They cost so much money. 3000-4000 bucks!!!!

You're only kidding yourself if you believe a 4K flashlight exists. Note I did not mention non-portable spot lamps, or NVG's.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
When shopping for a flashlight, what lumen levels are appropriate for specific applications.

Inside looking at a breaker panel?

In the barn looking at tractor engine?

Outdoors?

Is the E20 Bill talks about too bright for the inside applications?
Its pretty bright. Will it work inside, sure. But it is brighter than any 2-3 cell maglight IMO (plus the light is whiter).

A nice E20 with a simple 2 mode would be the cats meow.

This is a excellent deal here --> L2d 2 AA cell Fenix

I'm going to get a few for family members. The multi-mode is nice and they can turn it on with it on low or turbo with a twist of the head.

I've got one of these and its an excellent light. (actually, I've got too many lights.. But I'd rather have too many than not enough...
crazy2.gif
)

Take care, bill

[/quote]

The best light for a tool box or glovebox is the $38 delivered E20. It's only a one mode light but bright, strong and well made. It would be better if it was 2 mode. Low and high.

Take care, bill [/quote]

I just put in an order for this on Ebay for $35 delivered based on your recommendation. I currently have 3 Maglite 2D cell types and was curious if this new lighting technology was real or hype. I guess we'll find out now.

Thanks,

Ken

Good price.
thumbsup2.gif

Hopefully you will be impressed with it as much as I am. For a 2 AA maglight size, its amazing how bright and white the light output is.

I run mine on rechargeable MH batteries.

Please let me know your impressions.

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
Originally Posted By: odessit
Originally Posted By: rg200amp

Yes there are some brighter lights out there that police use. They cost so much money. 300-400 bucks!!!!

Yes there are some brighter lights out there that professionals use. They cost so much money. 3000-4000 bucks!!!!

You're only kidding yourself if you believe a 4K flashlight exists. Note I did not mention non-portable spot lamps, or NVG's.

What NVG stands for? (Night Vision something...?)

Ok, I was kidding myself regarding $4000 flashlight. The post was only for demonstration purposes only.
But there are lights for $2000+ and some full kits approach 3000...
http://www.polarion-store.com/cat_polarion.cfm
https://www.4sevens.com/index.php?cPath=87

Night Vision Goggles.
LOL.gif

In any case, all those consist of are heavy-output projector lamps in an ultra-fancy package. Mind you, the same could be said about alot of stuff nowadays...

Good price.
thumbsup2.gif

Hopefully you will be impressed with it as much as I am. For a 2 AA maglight size, its amazing how bright and white the light output is.

I run mine on rechargeable MH batteries.

Please let me know your impressions.

Take care, Bill

Bill,

Are there any MH batteries that are recommended?

Thanks,

Ken

If you don't have any I like the Kodak PER-CHARGED ones @ Wal-Mart with charger for $14 or so. $9 without.

They have a excellent "shelf" life (stay charged) and last about 3 hours.

Take care, bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back