Mag-Lite Flashlights

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to decide from several different varities of Mag-Lite flashlights.

The 4-D cell lights offer Krypton lamp or Xenon lamp. Krypton is rated to provide 9-10 hours while Xenon is rated to provide 10-11 hours.
The rechargeable lights offer Halogen lamps with about the same lumens. It is rated for ~ 2 hours.
Then, there are the 4-D LED lights which I don't know the lumens nor the run-time.

Which one of the 4 options would you recommend & why? Thanks.

I prefer the battery lights because the rechargeables need to be kept charged or you may not have light when you need it most. Replaceable batteries will probably work years later if the flashlight is for standby use only. If you will be using it heavily and can keep it charged up, the rechargeable might be a better option. LED lamps will probably last a lifetime and consume less power, but I don't like the bluish-white color they give off. My eyes like the orangish glow better.

Well, not to blow off your questions, but I went to my local True Value hardware and they have their own brand of Mag Lite clone and the price was super nice and it included a case and spare bulb--halogen IIRC. Just one more thing to factor in perhaps.

I keep a 2 D cell Maglite in each car as they seem to hold up better than other lights. I use to swap out the bright halogen battery killer for a PR6, I have a couple of boxes of Philips bulbs, but lately have started using the Maglite LED bulb. In each glove compartment I have either a small pouch with two AAA Maglites, or one AA Maglite with the LED bulb from Walmart that costs about $5.

I try to avoid the halogen and such as some of them draw 1 amp from 2 D cells. For a brighter light I use a 4 cell that takes a lantern battery, but use a holder with 4 D cells instead. Again I use a regular bulb instead of a halogen for better battery life.

I wouldn't buy a Maglite because there are so many vastly better options, but the LED 2D model is probably the most useful thing they make.

I have used a Magcharger for about 15 years. It is very bright and has been trouble free. I have replaced the battery pack twice, about $20 each time.

Maglites are OK. Not bad, not great.

If you want something a step up, check out Streamlight, SureFire, or Pelican.

If you don't want to drop a grip of money, check out the Rayovac Xtreme. Lots of lumens for a low price.

Or for only US $299.99 you can have "The Torch". Bright enough to light cigarettes and cook eggs. Too bad the runtime is only 15 minutes.

The Worlds Brightest Flashlight

I work with emergency power for a living. I gave up on Maglites years ago. If you want the best of the best, go to http://www.fenixlight.com. Check out the model TK11.

It's a new technology white LED. I hate blue LEDs and won't own one. This light has two settings. The high one is so bright it's not useable for close up stuff. It will operate 10 hours on the low setting which is still brighter than any Maglite and two hours on the high setting. I think I paid 73 dollars for it.

I work with lights all night long and the Fenix lights are excellent.

I use a TK10 and a LD30 as a backup. Both take the CR123 cells.

The TK20 is excellent 2 AA cells with a more natural LED light. 2 modes.

If you need a single BRIGHT power their E20 is same size as a maglight around around $40.

I shop at Fenix store with EXCELLENT service and fast free shipping.

Take care, bill

$73 flashlights, 2 hr battery life on lithiums..... such is the price of 'bright'. If you need bright then there a lot better choices than a Maglite, but remember that for general use the brighter the light at night the more your eyes will need a bright light. The light that I use most often is a yellow Photon on my keychain, rated for something like 200 hrs on a lithium button cell. Next is an inexpensive Streamlight LED headlamp, then a budget 4 D cell Walmart Ray-O-Vac that I like because it has a good spot beam. I put a non-halogen bulb in it. A spot beam is nice with lower power output. For wide area coverage it's still hard to beat a Coleman lantern. The cars get the Maglites because the switches still work after years, and they're durable.

I acknowledge though that almost everyone that I know wants the brightest possible flashlight.

Tom,

It will be used around the house & kept in the car's glovebox.

TallPaul,

I bet those clones weren't made in the USA!

AcuraTech, NYEngineer, & Bill in Utah & others,

I don't doubt one bit there are much better options out there, but they are all made in China that I could find.

1sttruck,

I'm not necessarily looking for the brightest as that is only one spec to consider. I thought the 4D would be a good compromise with lumens & still have some weight to it. So you recommend the Xenon bulb upgrade?

I only use LED lights now, the others will run down their batteries in the middle of a job.

I bought a Streamlight LED light recently and I am impressed by its quality.

The flashlights we use at the steel mill where I work at are the Underwater Kinetics UK4A lights. They are really made for scuba diving, but are great heavy duty lights, and are made in the U.S.A. They come with accessories like holsters and hard hat brackets. They are great lights.

http://www.uwkinetics.com/product/6

Originally Posted By: AcuraTech
The Pelican flashlight that is standard issue for the LAPD (I forget model number) is made in the USA.

It's the Pelican 7060. They're decent, but already outdated.

Before choosing a light, there are many questions to answer:
Runtime
Light Output
Size
Weight
Batteries (form factor & chemistry)
Durability
Haz-Mat certifications
Water resistance

Xenon vs LED
Regular High Brightness LEDs (Like ones based on Cree X-Lamp) beat Xenon/Krypton lights in run times and output. Just stay away from "showerhead" type lights. High end LED lights are on par with low and mid range HID lights.
The only place where incandescent bulbs beat LEDs is color rendering, and even here there are "warm color" LEDs that are very close (TK20 has such LED)

I started looking for "Made in USA" as well, but Fenix simply is one of the better values for AA/AAA lights. I settled on Fenix TK20 and L2D. Car duty light has Energizer Lithium AAs, home duty has rechargeable NiMH (Sanyo 2700)

If "Made in USA" is a major sticking point check the following thread for a list of lights.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=189480

Edit - you could also upgrade a Mag with custom built LED drop-in. Not cheap, but made in USA and is VERY nice.
http://www.malkoffdevices.com/

I prefer the standard alkaline battery ones over the rechargeable ones because of the stand-by issues someone else mentioned. Same reason I keep a corded drill motor along side the battery operated one.

I used to carry a 6 D-cell Krypton Mag in the car because I used to travel a lot at night and I figured I may need long light time. Plus I got the light on sale years ago for $20 at a Rite-Aid drug store.

I've since switched over to the 2 D-cell models with the Maglite LED retrofit bulbs. I have two; one in the house for general use and one in the garage for auto work.

I use the flashlight in the garage for when I work on the car. The one thing I've noticed with the LED bulb is that even properly focused, the "hot-spot" of the LED bulb is sort of "off". I have to point the flashlight at an angle to get the work properly lit. I think for this flashlight, I may go back to the krypton bulb.

I keep a 2-AA LED Mag in both the cars and they've come in handy many times.

I'd go with the 4 D-cell LED Mag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back