Looking into sporty / grand tourer cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great to hear! Yes, they are incredible! BTW, the "old" Mercedes NAG-1 in the previous generation (with a few less gears) is also a fantastic transmission and has a reputation for bulletproof reliability.

That said, the ZF unit is FANTASTIC (I've driven both many times) and so your observations don't surprise me
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: thr_wedge

My vehicular requirements are:
Fun to drive (at least 300hp)
Exciting (styling, passion, wanting to give yourself a high five everytime you look at your car)
Somewhat comfortable (see below I am in the car a lot)
Seats 4 (it only has to be comfortable for me, but it needs to have seatbelts for 4)

The obvious answer here is Jaguar, but a new one exceeds your budget number, unfortunately.

BMW e39 540 sport. Last year was 2003, make sure its a sport pkg 3 spoke steering wheel. Ive seen some really mint examples under 10k and they are quite reliable vs newer bmw. You can save the rest of your budget for gas tires and window regulators.

I have the heavier wagon version and its still loads of fun and comfortable.

You could find a low mileage car and replace anything worn and drive the [censored] out of it for cheap.

Car tech is moving so quickly that you may as well spend a few years in a classic e39 and see what 2020 offers in gadgets and stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back