Liqui Moly Oil Sludge Remover

How do you use it? Just add it to oil and drive for 100 miles?

I am a tad afraid that this product and eventual flush with EPR might break my engine? Maybe the Volvo has caked up oil gaps and now loser tolerances? I keep reading horror stories of engines breaking down after a flush.
My 2016 Volvo has 85k miles and I have ran it with Castrol Edge and Edge HM 10-30. No other oil was used since it left the dealer. This being a dealer loaner meant that it was serviced at the dealership before I owned it and dealership used Castrol Edge Professional.

Castrol Edge should have kept it clean provided the intervals weren’t too long. Just use your favorite oil and shorten the interval a bit. I roughly want to break off sludge in big chunks. That’s probably what caused issues you’ve heard of. I’ve done cleanups of cars with too long of conventional intervals using Mobil 1 0w40 at 5k mile intervals. I saw less darkening of the oil after a few changes and less tarnishing through the fill cap. It doesn’t have to be a race especially if you aren’t having engine issues.

He used Castrol Edge, but forgot to "use with confidence"
Try to solve the darn oil burning before I have to spend $7k to rebuild the engine. So trying the cheap methods first. I consider $12 pour in - drive flush to be ok. Just am afraid of making the engine worse.

Castrol Edge should have kept it clean provided the intervals weren’t too long. Just use your favorite oil and shorten the interval a bit. I roughly want to break off sludge in big chunks. That’s probably what caused issues you’ve heard of. I’ve done cleanups of cars with too long of conventional intervals using Mobil 1 0w40 at 5k mile intervals. I saw less darkening of the oil after a few changes and less tarnishing through the fill cap. It doesn’t have to be a race especially if you aren’t having engine issues.
It was based on the built in oil monitor which sadly was a static 12 month or 10k miles.

Add EPR to a warm not hot engine and idle it at appropriate suggested RPM with hood up. Drain and use LM Motor Oil Saver or BG RF-7 afterwards along with whatever oil you choose. Nothing short of a fairly aggressive method is going to do and you will be back to square one.

Add EPR to a warm not hot engine and idle it at appropriate suggested RPM with hood up. Drain and use LM Motor Oil Saver or BG RF-7 afterwards along with whatever oil you choose. Nothing short of a fairly aggressive method is going to do and you will be back to square one.
Thanks

Yeah I got procured Volvo OEM firebox or firetrap. So I will be installing it as soon as that arrives. That way I can rule out the firebox reason for oil consumption. (Plus the part was $160 and the work seems easy meanwhile dealership wanted $700 for it)

The paranoia about these products on BITOG is level 11. It's fine. You follow the directions (duh)...this is an idle flush. Your car won't be damaged.

The OP started no fewer than half a dozen threads, each one of them considering a different methodology to cure an oil-burning Volvo by pouring something into the engine.

After a month of Internet hand wringing, nothing was actually done. No action was taken, that we can tell.
This is Astro14's Call or 1 of the other Mods, sounds like this Thread either needs to be Locked or Deleted.

The OP started no fewer than half a dozen threads, each one of them considering a different methodology to cure an oil-burning Volvo by pouring something into the engine.

After a month of Internet hand wringing, nothing was actually done. No action was taken, that we can tell.
7yla2t.jpg

This is Astro14's Call or 1 of the other Mods, sounds like this Thread either needs to be Locked or Deleted.
Or anybody that doesn’t like his posts can simply choose not to read them.
Maybe he’s just really apprehensive about what approach he wants to take.
Maybe he’s just bored. I dunno but for others to spend the time postng complaints about his posts when they could simply follow any other thread and not worry about it is kinda wierd.

Maybe if OP took one quart of each of the six potential “solutions” and dumped them in simultaneously (just skip the oil that got his engine here in the first place) there’d be some action going on 😯

/sarc

According to the manufacturer EPR is neutralized ones it hits a certain temp, the instructions say add to a cold engine, then warm up that way it can get circulated into the system before it is neutralized

It also says to run at 1200 RPM.

Back