Lifter tick stopped

Status
Not open for further replies.
As some of you know my Jeep had a lifter tick until it warmed up. For about the last 50x I ran M1 TDT. Then I ran M1 high mileage the last OCI. The tick was still there but much less severe with the HM and not enough to annoy me anymore. Once it warmed up it was smooth and quiet. I liked those oils because of the extra zinc.

Had a mechanic replace the RMS the other day and had him put PYB (thanks KCJeep!) in along with a Mopar filter. (I used M1 and Wix in the past, but I figured the Mopar was factory spec so heck.. Give it a try. Lol) The tick is gone! The last 3 start ups were tick free. The question is what most likely quieted it up? The moly in the PYB or perhaps the filter? Hopefully this isn't the wrong sub forum.. It's a pretty broad question.

Thanks.

Last edited:
You looked at it, and held your tongue the right way.

Who knows.. You changed multiple things at once.

If you changed 1 thing at a time and hit on it then we'd KIND of know..

Seems that PYB definitely causes the 4.0 to quiet down.

What grade did you run? I think KCJeep runs 10w-30? If the 5w-30 variant has the same affect, I may try it my next change. I am doing a year long OCI so it will be June of '14 before I need to change again.

RT6 seems to be working well enough. But I noticed no difference in noise (my engine is pretty quiet for a 4.0) going from a 2:3 mix of 5w-20 and 5w-30 to RT6.

Last edited:
The OC. I have a tick on the right bank of our fb25 Subaru - I just did an OC with VSP. I hope it goes away. I don't think its the TSB issue, just gum. This is another thick on top of the tumble valve rattle, EVAP purge sol and the injector tick.

The PYB. My 4.0 is much quieter with it. I've tried the 5w30, 10w30, and 10w40. All were very quiet in my Jeep compared to other oils I've run.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
The OC. I have a tick on the right bank of our fb25 Subaru - I just did an OC with VSP. I hope it goes away. I don't think its the TSB issue, just gum. This is another thick on top of the tumble valve rattle, EVAP purge sol and the injector tick.

Jeep Cherokees have super loud EVAP purge solenoids too. Gives you a good scare the first time you hear it.

PYB and the Jeep 4.0 are a nice combination no doubt!

I've run 5w30, 10w30 and 10w40 with a single quart of 5w20 to make a "thick 10w30". Have not UOA'd all of them but with other Jeepers help here we've got some good data. I got my best wear numbers out of the thick 10w30 brew, especially the aluminum which is a concern for the newer 4.0's due to piston skirt issues, aluminum on that run was below the universal average at only 1ppm! Might try straight 10w40 in the future for comparison.

As he mentioned the evap purge solenoids can tick loudly, particularly when the temps drop.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I would try the 10w-30 in mine, but I'm not sure how well that would work on a -30F morning.

Sounds like a perfect fit for the 5w30 to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back