Next oil change coming up. Board preference?

2014 Dodge Grand Caravan, 86357 miles total, 81385@ last change, used Fram XG11665 last change and have another for next change. I will be changing it in the next 2 weeks as the wife is going out West to visit relatives and rack up about 4k miles. I used Valvoline 5W20 High Mileage semi-synth last change. No lifter tick....yet. If it was your van, what would you use? In looking back I have used differing brands of MS-6395 approval in 5W20 or 5W30. I want the best oil and will pay for it if justified. I am also not against using the Valvoline again if it makes no sense to use something else. I am not even stuck on the MS6395 as I am contemplating possibly a 504/507 which I like the looks of the specs on and have some gallons of on the shelf right now. What do the fine folks on this board think is the best choice?

Not looking to start a flame war. Truly am interested and open for suggestions. Like everyone else I have inherent bias and am trying to set that aside and become more scientific/objective in my approach. I used to actively look for esters and their contributions when buying oil. This board has shown me that I need to look at a bigger picture.

IMHO motor oil at this stage of development should be treated as and purchased like the commodity they truly are. Its's sort of like asking which aspirin is better, Rite Aid or Bayer. Have fun choosing. :)

I personally been a QS fan for a very long time, however I been kind of experimenting lately and out of QS All Mileage, Mobil 1 HM the Valvoline Full Synthetic High Mileage is running the quietest out of them all on both of my vehicles actually.

Could it be the fact that Valvoline has a pretty strong additive pack and a lot of moly, I don't know but if it holds up during my oil change then I will stick to Valvoline.

Since you been running Valvoline in it why not stick to Valvoline and just switch to the Full Synthetic High Mileage?

As long as it's a reputable brand, including super tech, it won't really matter.
Boutique oils come in when you want to do extended oci's.

5w20 edge black bottle has been the worst oil I have ever used recently.
I am sorely missing the Magnetec magic.

I would run what you just done with winter coming up.

10W30 QS FS in the Summer. ILSAC 5W30 are compromised to get the 5W.

What's wrong with OEM oil filter cartridges?

5w20 edge black bottle has been the worst oil I have ever used recently.
I am sorely missing the Magnetec magic.

I would run what you just done with winter coming up.

10W30 QS FS in the Summer. ILSAC 5W30 are compromised to get the 5W.

What's wrong with OEM oil filter cartridges?
I have used other filters that aren't the synthetic like the XG line. They all seem a little bit mis-shapen upon change. Haven't had a failure but for a few dollars more the XG seem to maintain their shape. Maybe the synthetic composition is stronger than the normal cellulose?

2014 Dodge Grand Caravan, 86357 miles total, 81385@ last change, used Fram XG11665 last change and have another for next change. I will be changing it in the next 2 weeks as the wife is going out West to visit relatives and rack up about 4k miles. I used Valvoline 5W20 High Mileage semi-synth last change. No lifter tick....yet. If it was your van, what would you use? In looking back I have used differing brands of MS-6395 approval in 5W20 or 5W30. I want the best oil and will pay for it if justified. I am also not against using the Valvoline again if it makes no sense to use something else. I am not even stuck on the MS6395 as I am contemplating possibly a 504/507 which I like the looks of the specs on and have some gallons of on the shelf right now. What do the fine folks on this board think is the best choice?
Just use what you like best and make your own mind up...all you will get is 50 million different types that people on this forum recommends...If the oil meets your specs for that vehicle it will be fine...

The best easily available oils are PAO/AN such as Amsoil SS, HPL Premium Plus, and some others. It’s likely that some flavor of HPL 0w30, 5w30, or even 40 weight will be your most-voted recommendation here.

Prepare to pay $70-100. Some don’t think it’s worth it when there are options like M1 Euro 0w40 kicking around. That’s up to you.

My own testing is indicating to me the boutique oils may be worth it. YMMV.

The Valvoline you're running is a reasonably priced and widely available oil that keeps your lifters from ticking for at least 5k. The simple answer is: you found an oil that works so keep doing whatever works.

The not so simple answer: It sounds like you want to change the oil at 5k because of the coming road trip full of highway miles? If there was no road trip, what is your normal service interval and what type of usage (city/highway, short trip, etc)? More info needed here -- this will help BITOGers to recommend "the best oil" that you will pay for, if justified. I am not aware of the Grand Caravan requiring a special or high-performance oil, other than for the noisy lifters... you'll very likely get a *LOT* of opinions and recommendations here. Again, I say stick with whatever is working for you.

I would use a full synthetic 5w30. Just as a brand preference/nostalgia/best looking container choice I like Pennzoil. For quality to value ratio I’ve used a lot of Supertech dexos approved 5w30.

I buy the 12Qt garage packs of M1 Euro 0-40 when my local store has them. It is a decent deal per Qt, less plastic waste and I use it in 4 different vehicles, some were 5-20 and some 5-30 factory fills, none are DI.

What the logic there?
The logic is that it's a run of the mill basic mom mobile that doesn't require anything fancy. A standard API SP/GF6 oil will more than suffice that's off the shelf from the nearest supermarket.

Last edited by a moderator:
can’t go wrong with any of the choices you’ll find at Walmart or the auto parts store. My picks would be Pennzoil platinum, Quaker state ultimate durability or castrol edge. Mobil 1 and valvoline also good. Check with autozone 5w30 Quaker state maybe be $15 5 Qt jug.

Fram is a good choice for a filter.

Last oil change on my wife's 2013 Chrysler Town & Country with 3.6L was Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 with Microgard Select MSL57526 filter.
Have used Castrol Edge 5w-20 and WIX 57526 filter in the past as well.
I believe the van has around 125,000 miles on it.

Back