Large SUV's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Originally Posted By: supton
I drive lots of miles, so I usually am looking at mpg. But when I am trying to justify a car purchase I'm also looking at depreciation, repairs, etc; and boiling them into either TCO or cost/mile. At least that is true for my cars. My truck, err, I decided to look it as a luxury and was much more irrational about it.

Hard to beat a large do-all vehicle. 'cept for purchase and running costs. And parking. And disapproval from those who don't own large vehicles.

Ford once made a RWD minivan that fit this bill.
It was even available in an entended version if you needed even more room and could be bought with AWD.
We averaged better than 20 mpg with ours over 175K trouble free miles.
Ford built the last of these in 1997 and there has been nothing with the same combination of low price, operating economy and durability/reliabilty since.
A large SUV is a poor substitute for an Aerostar.

Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi, GM, and Volkswagen all built RWD minvans.
21.gif
Actually, Toyota had two - the Van Wagon and the Previa

Of the vehicles you cite, the early RWD Toyota, Nissan & Mitsu were home market commercial vehicles on very short wheelbases and are more accurately described as microvans. They had dodgy handling and no refinement. IIRC, Nissan's were plagued with engine fires and Nissan tried to buy all of those sold back.
The Astro was an overweight pig of a vehicle.
The Vanagon (we owned one and really liked it) and the Previa both offer huge interior volume, especially the VW and both could be had with AWD in certain years. Neither met my criteria of low priced, though and the Vanagon had no power whether equipped with the Type IV or the later Wasserboxer.
The Previa only had power in the supercharged versions.
Both the Vanagon and the Previa are very durable vehicles.
Our Vanagon was actually rated to carry more than 1900 lbs, but I don't think I'd want to tow much with one.
This leaves the Aerostar, cheap to buy, decent tow capacity, good fuel economy and no pesky LIM gasket changes needed.
We found the Aerostar to be one of our efficient purchases.
Less than 15K brand new and very useful for the 175K and thirteen years we had it.
The only thing I ever had to do to it other than brakes and tires was a starter replacement.
Even the AC remained ice cold with no service needed.

We had a Toyota Van Wagon at the lot I worked at.
It had been some sort of conversion van. The rear most seat folded into a short bed, it had curtains, hardwood, mood lighting, and everything was upholstered in thick maroon velour. It only had seatbelts for the front two seats...kinda pointless if you ask me. In a frontal collision, you are in the crumple zone.

The 4Y engine was plenty durable. Its primarily used as a forklift engine.

It was slow, but so was the Vanagon and the 2.3 Aerostar.

I don't remember it being a sketchy handler....well, no worse than the '65 Chevy van that I took my driving test in.

The worst thing about that van was accessing the engine compartment. The choke didn't work on the '65 so you simply opened the doghouse and held the choke closed with one hand and turned the key with the other. Running low on coolant from a leaky radiator? Have your passenger fill it on the fly. Pulling over not necessary. That was not even an option in the Toyota Van Wagon. You could check your oil by sliding the passenger seat all the way forward and the driver seat all the way back and then unclipping and folding the driver seat back. You wanna' do more with the engine? It's about 20 [darn] bolts and they are two different sizes.

The Astros had steering problems. The idler arms were junk and there were two of them. Premium aftermarket replacements fix that.

Well, there may be a valid argument that many folks are swayed to the bigger stuff when gas prices drop, some of us have to have these larger vehicles, irregardless of fuel prices. Life would be so much nicer if I could do all I need to do around farm, get to town during bad weather, and such with a little Subaru Outback. I guess we could just buy fleet of vehicles, each one for a particular purpose, but that is not always practical for many of us "hayseeds" in the country. But, life is not as simple in the rural part of the country as it is in cities and towns. And that it is not even considered is shown when national news commentators and such make jabs about people buying larger vehicles. But then, they usually have someone drive them to and from the studio.

I don't miss those giant SUVs. They get in front of me and block my view of the road up ahead. I get claustrophobic and feel all boxed in when they're in front of me.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Well, there may be a valid argument that many folks are swayed to the bigger stuff when gas prices drop, some of us have to have these larger vehicles, irregardless of fuel prices. Life would be so much nicer if I could do all I need to do around farm, get to town during bad weather, and such with a little Subaru Outback. I guess we could just buy fleet of vehicles, each one for a particular purpose, but that is not always practical for many of us "hayseeds" in the country. But, life is not as simple in the rural part of the country as it is in cities and towns. And that it is not even considered is shown when national news commentators and such make jabs about people buying larger vehicles. But then, they usually have someone drive them to and from the studio.

You can register and drive a Kei truck in Oklahoma on any road except an Interstate.

40-50 mpg, nearly 1/2 ton carrying capacity, and some have hydraulic dump beds.

Probably a better choice than an Outback
crackmeup2.gif
$5000 Kei is considerably less than an Outback too.

The Astro was an overweight pig of a vehicle.

This leaves the Aerostar, cheap to buy, decent tow capacity, good fuel economy and no pesky LIM gasket changes needed.
We found the Aerostar to be one of our efficient purchases.

My Dad has owned 3 Aerostars. Can't say anything bad about them, they were good vehicles that ran reliably.

But it is obvious you never weighed one! With an Aerostar at 3800+ pounds and an Astro or GMC Safari at almost identical curb weight I don't see the huge difference you cite. At most you could have a few hundred pounds (at best) variation.

People around here are still driving both to work. They both get the job done apparently...

I worked with a guy who had an early 2.8 or 2.9 Cologne V6 Aerostar.

It broke frequently and was difficult to repair when it did. The little German V6 was not designed with minivans in mind.

Seems like discarding the Cologne and installing a Vulcan was all it needed.

I don't know how well the bigger 4.0 Aerostar works. Almost every one I've seen that has lasted has had a Vulcan.

I did have a client with a 2.3 Aerostar a few years ago. He was a painter and the interior was gutted and full of various colors of latex paint spills, 5 gallon buckets of paint, compressor, ladders, buckets, tarps, etc... 0-60? Can it even hit 60 with all that equipment?
crackmeup2.gif

I worked with a guy who had an early 2.8 or 2.9 Cologne V6 Aerostar.

It broke frequently and was difficult to repair when it did. The little German V6 was not designed with minivans in mind.

Seems like discarding the Cologne and installing a Vulcan was all it needed.

I don't know how well the bigger 4.0 Aerostar works. Almost every one I've seen that has lasted has had a Vulcan.

I did have a client with a 2.3 Aerostar a few years ago. He was a painter and the interior was gutted and full of various colors of latex paint spills, 5 gallon buckets of paint, compressor, ladders, buckets, tarps, etc... 0-60? Can it even hit 60 with all that equipment?
crackmeup2.gif

As long as we are a little off topic here - I've had 2 Aerostars - the first one had the 3.0 V6 the second one the 4.0 V6. I had the first van for about 2 1/2 years and had lots of problems with it - mainly transmission problems. I bought it used with over 100K miles on it.

The second one was a 95 model we bought in 1997 with about 30K on it. It was probably the most dependable vehicle I've ever owned. It now has over 200K miles on it. The weakest part were the front brakes - they were very prone to vibration when applying the brakes, and going through pads rather quickly - like every 20K - 30K miles.
Otherwise I replaced the shocks once around 100K miles, and the throttle position sensor somewhere after that. The radiator developed a leak in the plastic tank somewhere around 190K mile mark. I changed the tranny fluid and filter every 30K miles and never had a problem.

It still has the original starter, a/c compressor, power steering pump and water pump. The 3.0 got much better MPG, but the 4.0 had a lot more power. The MPG on the 4.0 was about 14 - 16 or so around town (I had the extended length van) and the best highway I ever got was 22. Usually 20 - 21 highway was the norm. This van went coast to coast once, and several trips from San Diego to Seattle, as well as San Diego to Phoenix.

Admittedly the handling on these vehicles is not the best - especially if you happened to catch a good gust of wind.

A close friend in Phoenix has a beat up 87 Aerostar with the 3.0 That thing just keeps going and going. When describing his van the phrase "I've seen better stuff in the junk yard" comes to mind. He uses it mostly to haul stuff around in. It's cheap to license and insurance.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Originally Posted By: InhalingBullets
I manage a fleet of 1702 vehicles...from Prius' to F-550's. When factoring life costs(maintenance, tires, fuel, purchase cost) on all the vehicles across the board, the Tahoe has the lowest cost per mile.

This is mind boggling. How can you explain owning a Mazda 3 and a Honda Civic if you really think it would be cheaper per mile to own a Tahoe?

I has nothing to do with what I think...and I don't make up the numbers. But I suppose the 250k that was spent on Assetworks was a fools errand, since that is where the numbers come from.

Why don't I drive a Tahoe? Because I don't want or need one, I do however need a truck and my wife and son like driving small cars. Your mind boggling question is asinine.

Originally Posted By: glock19
I manage a fleet of 1702 vehicles...from Prius' to F-550's. When factoring life costs(maintenance, tires, fuel, purchase cost) on all the vehicles across the board, the Tahoe has the lowest cost per mile.

How is that possible?

Relatively high purchase price, relatively low gas mileage, expensive tires, and with a V8 more oil and plugs. Am I missing something?

Regarding purchase price, when you are buying hundreds of vehicles the price gets better. I think most that question my statement need to understand that these vehicles are not used as grocery getters and endure much harder use than a personal vehicle. The sedans take an absolute beating and frequently need new front ends and transmissions. The trucks and SUV's just hold up better to that type of use. The frequency and cost of repairs is the causative factor in driving the sedan cost higher negating the fuel savings.

Last edited:
If I'm following this thread correctly everyone who had large SUVs sold them off cheap and bought Geo and Prius when gas prices went up. Now that gas is cheap the Geo owners are buying Cadillac. According to Bitog everyone should drive an Astro or Aerostar.

Originally Posted By: glock19

How is that possible?

Relatively high purchase price, relatively low gas mileage, expensive tires, and with a V8 more oil and plugs. Am I missing something?

Regarding purchase price, when you are buying hundreds of vehicles the price gets better. I think most that question my statement need to understand that these vehicles are not used as grocery getters and endure much harder use than a personal vehicle. The sedans take an absolute beating and frequently need new front ends and transmissions. The trucks and SUV's just hold up better to that type of use. The frequency and cost of repairs is the causative factor in driving the sedan cost higher negating the fuel savings.

I guess I can see it being possible in a heavy duty usage scenario.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
If I'm following this thread correctly everyone who had large SUVs sold them off cheap and bought Geo and Prius when gas prices went up. Now that gas is cheap the Geo owners are buying Cadillac. According to Bitog everyone should drive an Astro or Aerostar.

Err, I don't think that is the opinion of all. Single guy/gal with a city commute would not be well served by an Astro/Aerovan. A good number of soccer moms are decently served by the current crop of minivans. And a good number of farmers need something with vastly better towing.

The trucks and SUV's just hold up better to that type of use. The frequency and cost of repairs is the causative factor in driving the sedan cost higher negating the fuel savings.

It should also be noted that a local Police Department where I know several folks also stated that a Tahoe had the lowest overall cost of ownership for them as well. Again, their sample is not nearly as large as yours, but as you already know, not many here will get your point...

You can register and drive a Kei truck in Oklahoma on any road except an Interstate.

40-50 mpg, nearly 1/2 ton carrying capacity, and some have hydraulic dump beds.

Probably a better choice than an Outback
crackmeup2.gif
$5000 Kei is considerably less than an Outback too.

That would be nice, I guess, but my vehicles have to be multi tasking. They have to have good off road qualities, and on road qualities. I don't need my property looking like a auto junk yard with a vehicle for each purpose. This is why some of us are going to continue to get larger SUV's and full size pickups. My pickup may be used one day by the wife to go get groceries or have lunch with one of her friends, or the next day it will be hauling a couple of drums of oil, concrete, fencing supplies, etc, next day going hunting, next day pulling a fuel wagon, or ramming thru snow drifts on the hilly gravel roads to get me to the highway and then to town, and the list goes on. And then it gets run thru the car wash and takes us on a road trip to S. Dakota if need be. The media and others who poo poo the large SUV and full size pickup market have a myopic view of reality.

Whether gas is $1 a gallon or $5 a gallon, there is a need for the full size pickup I have and it is what I buy. We don't use any vehicle for some daily commuter gig. One of the advantages of being self employed. Same is true for my semi truck. Just because diesel hits $5 a gallon doesn't mean I am going to trade in the semi for something smaller. I buy a vehicle for what I need it for. I like fuel to be cheap, like everyone else, but that is not my primarly motivation, what fuel economy the vehicle is. I do factor it in, but it is not the primary concern.

And when the kids in my rural area need to get to school during snowy times and the busses will not run, the neighbors do not call the person with a mini van to help get the kids to school in town, they call those with a crew cab full size 4x4 pickup to safely get the kids to school.

Originally Posted By: tom slick

If worked in a Crown Vic and Prius you'd have perfect BITOG thread...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
The trucks and SUV's just hold up better to that type of use. The frequency and cost of repairs is the causative factor in driving the sedan cost higher negating the fuel savings.

It should also be noted that a local Police Department where I know several folks also stated that a Tahoe had the lowest overall cost of ownership for them as well. Again, their sample is not nearly as large as yours, but as you already know, not many here will get your point...

But fleet usage is not typical of consumer usage. Not many of us here drive our cars as if they were a rental. The public at large might, but not the typical BITOG'er. Hence the double-take, as most here know a Prius has lower fuel costs over 300kmiles than a Tahoe, even with a battery replacement thrown in for good measure.

Aerostars were miserable vehicles. No idea why they even come up in a thread about large SUV's since the owners no longer own them as they have since rotted or broken down/crushed.

Glad they are back for US auto industry as they are very profitable for them. I do like large SUV's are great for 6+ passengers and luggage/ski bags etc.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

But fleet usage is not typical of consumer usage. Not many of us here drive our cars as if they were a rental. The public at large might, but not the typical BITOG'er. Hence the double-take, as most here know a Prius has lower fuel costs over 300kmiles than a Tahoe, even with a battery replacement thrown in for good measure.

The point may be missed here, though all yours are good ones.

Total cost of ownership is an unknown for most folks I know. Purchase price, resale, insurance, maintenance, etc., are rarely ALL taken into account.

When you truly factor in everything trucks can be surprisingly cheap to own...

Hrm... I guess I ought to look into that. With gas so cheap I am tempted to replace my Jetta (as in, buy an econobox while "no one" wants them and are therefor cheap). I took my truck to work today and it was a rather pleasant drive indeed.

Last edited:
Hrm... I guess I ought to look into that. With gas so cheap I am tempted to replace my Jetta (as in, buy an econobox while "no one" wants them and are therefor cheap). I took my truck to work today and it was a rather pleasant drive indeed.

I have been driving my truck to work as of late and I quickly realized how much I really love it! I also got to fill up the other day at $1.69 a gallon, when an Exxon and a QT got into a gas war.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back