Keurig Coffee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gentleman: My bride seems to want a Keurig hot beverage maker.
That being said, do any of you have experience with said coffee maker and can give me a heads up on the quality/reliability of said machine.

You know she will get it, I'd just like a guide on which model to get or avoid...or easily repaired DIY.

Thanks Smoky

Last edited:
I've had them for many years - love 'em! The older ones had some reliability issues, but the new ones have fixed them. Don't get the small ones, get the one that stores the water and runs about $150'ish. You won't regret it!

I've had one for years. We also have three of them at work that are shared by 50 people. Occasionally one will pump slow and probly just needs cleaning. They work well. The coffee us available in a huge variety of claves. Only downside is its 50 cents per cup or more. Got mine at same.

Have four of them and love'em! You can make better coffee, but only with a lot more effort. We find the coffee to be way above average and not that expensive considering there is no waste. You only make what you drink. The variety of coffee available in KCups is astounding. The best value is the one called "Special Edition" or "Platinum" I don't remember which. Retail on it is about $149, but with a little shopping around and a coupon from a place like Kohl's you can get one for around a hundred. I would stay away from the new "Vue" model. It doesn't take the regular KCup and is just a way to get you to spend more money on the special cups. As for reliability, our first one, several years ago, did quit working. It was within the 90 day return window to Kohl's, so we just exchanged it for a new one. I don't get the feeling that DIY repairs are much of a possibility.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Get her a Nespresso instead.

We have both and they each have their place. Nespresso is a convenient espresso maker and the Keurig is a great coffee/tea maker.

The Keurig has replaced the French press in our house for the convenience. I also have the Miele built-in super automatic so I have lots of choices! I'm addicted!

I love mine. Not sure of the model I have, but I have the reservior on the side. My Mom has the small one that you pour water in the back....just enough water for one cup of cofee. Her's is a pain in the rear. I agree with sasilverbullet, the reservior is key.

I drink a lot of coffee. I mean, a lot. I get up at 5:30am, and when I leave the house at 6:40 to head to work, I've already got 30-40 ounces of coffee in me. Plus, I have another fresh cup of 30 ounces with me in the car. K-Cups can get a bit expensive for me. When I find killer deals, I buy them. I like strong, dark coffee. Green Mountain makes a good strong K-Cup.

But last year, I purchased a re-fillable/re-usable K-Cup. It's got a flip lid and a really fine stainless steel mesh body. I shovel my own coffee in that reusable cup a lot. I like that option. It's way cheaper, I can grind my own beans in the morning and make my own cups of fresh coffee.

Keurig makes a good coffee. It's a good buy.

We have one that's a couple years old, given to us by my wife's aunt who didn't want it anymore.

The coffee quality depends, obviously, on what kind of K-cup you buy. The Gevalia ones are very good, but you'll be paying like 65 cents a cup. Also, since you can't change the amount of grounds you put in, choosing the 10-oz option over the 8 or 6-oz just results in weaker coffee. You can also get an insert with a mesh filter where you put your own grounds, and this helps it to be much more economical.

There has been a few occasions where ours has slowed down or failed to make a cup, and each time we've run through on reservoir of 50% vinegar and 50% water (followed by 3 reservoirs of just water to purge the vinegar), and that's fixed it.

I've had the B60 brewer for almost 4 years now. It's worked great, occasionally it will not put out enough water and it will be a bad cup. But other than that, it has been a great coffee maker. It is more expensive than coffee makers on a per cup basis. If you drink a lot of coffee, it will get expensive in a hurry.

The biggest thing that helps me is my wife and I have very different coffee tastes. I suggest ordering direct from Keurig for your coffee. Orders $45 and higher ship free and they have almost every variety in stock (excluding exclusives like Dunkin Donuts brand) plus their prices are good when you don't have to pay shipping.

The water pump hasn't sounded too good over the last month or so, so I waiting for it to [censored] out one day and having to buy a new one soon, but it's just a noise thing right now and it still works fine. I don't think any of them are really reparable.

I've used the My KCup (mesh widget to let you use your own coffee ground) and was not happy with it. Messy and just didn't brew a good cup.

My parents have one ... While my mother says how convenient it is, my father and I just marvel at the amount of engineering it takes to make a cup of coffee.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
They're great, if and only if you want an inexpensive cup of excellent coffee.

Fixed it for you!

Nope, totally happy with my Hamilton Beach.Make 12 cup pot and its there on demand. Cant justify the expense of the pot, not the expense of the coffee cup thingies. Seems to me that out this way having one of those is more of a status symbol.

This one was given to me as a gift, and I've been using it for about 8 months now.

I don't drink coffee every day, so it's nice to be able to make just a single cup. I also like the variety of coffee available without purchasing an entire container of coffee-you can usually find variety packs in the grocery store that are fairly inexpensive. I like being able to offer guests a variety of coffee choices, and I like to sample other coffee varieties that I otherwise might never try.

It's less expensive than making an entire pot of coffee for just a cup or two. It also does a nice job with tea and hot chocolate. We can offer our guests an after dinner cup of tea or coffee without brewing a full pot, unless we have a larger crowd. When we do have larger gatherings it makes more sense to use the regular coffee maker.

I also have an adapter that lets me use regular ground coffee rather than the actual K cups, so I have the option of using either.

So far, the K cup coffee that I like the best is the San Francisco Bay coffee, and it is one of the least expensive on Amazon.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
They're great, if and only if you want an overpriced cup of bad coffee.

Once wasn't enough! That post was so informative, he made it twice!

I absolutely LOVE my Keurig!!!!!!! My gf doesn`t drink coffee,so it`s perfect for me. I also bought the K-Cup filter so I can use any ground coffee I want. Currently using Peet`s French Roast.

My wife has had one in her salon for 4 years - never a problem. Same model as in Pop Rivit's photo.

She and customers love it, no wasted or stale coffee. I'm not a coffee drinker so I can't comment on taste.

I have that same exact one as Pop Rivit too. I think they call it "The Classic"? The best one imo. Plain and simple,all you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back